Search / filter by Favorite Point Percentage

Scottish Cavalryman

How do you search caches (or filter them) based on favorite point percentage (not total numbers of favorite points)?  I have discovered that some of the best caches do NOT have the highest total number of favorite points, but DO have the highest favorite point percentage.  For example, a cache that has been around since 2011 (10 years old) and has 200 favorites is probably pretty good, but may only have a percentage of 20% because 1,000 people have found it and only 1 in 5 have given it a favorite, yet it shows up in searches by favorite points.  However, a cache that has only been around since 2020 (less than a year) with 40 favorites is amazing, favorited by almost everyone who has found it (say 90%), but doesn’t stand out in favorite searches because it has far fewer total favorites than much older caches.  Is there a way to search by favorite points percentage to remove the cache age filter bias that total favorite points provides?  If not, how do we get Groundspeak to add that feature?

17 minutes ago, Scottish Cavalryman said:

How do you search caches (or filter them) based on favorite point percentage (not total numbers of favorite points)?

I have discovered that some of the best caches do NOT have the highest total number of favorite points, but DO have the highest favorite point percentage.  For example, a cache that has been around since 2011 (10 years old) and has 200 favorites is probably pretty good, but may only have a percentage of 20% because 1,000 people have found it and only 1 in 5 have given it a favorite, yet it shows up in searches by favorite points.

However, a cache that has only been around since 2020 (less than a year) with 40 favorites is amazing, favorited by almost everyone who has found it (say 90%), but doesn’t stand out in favorite searches because it has far fewer total favorites than much older caches.

Is there a way to search by favorite points percentage to remove the cache age filter bias that total favorite points provides?  

If not, how do we get Groundspeak to add that feature?

I thought the API didn't include percentage data, but believe I saw that project-gc does include favorite percentages.   :)

I don't consider 2011 as "old", but this wouldn't help me...   It seems you may be confusing the few "popular" caches with the norm.

I prefer older caches,  but the majority of older hides are missing FP, simply because they were placed years before FP was a thing.

FPs didn't come out 'til 12/2010.  We did, but know of only a handful that went back to apply FPs to (some, already archived) older hides.

Those caches, many "lonely" that have a following looking for them, would show low on that "percentage" list.

• Upvote 1