Hiding a cache around mugglers

meanbone

I usually suit up in a bright yellow reflective vest, hard hat, gloves and a fake paper list. I appear that I'm looking at the paper trying to verify something find my hiding spot and boom the cache is placed. Mugglers think you are a maintainer and usually pay you no attention. Just my way of hiding in plain sight.  

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Agreed.  I feel most of those "stealth required" hides also mean odds are there was no asking permission to place .

I am actually referring to the placement around a street sign or a telephone pole not some crazy and obscure place,

Edited by meanbone
1 hour ago, meanbone said:

I am actually referring to the placement around a street sign or a telephone pole not some crazy and obscure place,

You realize that you need permission to hide on a street sign or a telephone pole, right?

Granted, it's rarely obtained, but there IS that pesky checkbox you have to click when you create a new cache.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, meanbone said:

I usually suit up in a bright yellow reflective vest, hard hat, gloves and a fake paper list. I appear that I'm looking at the paper trying to verify something find my hiding spot and boom the cache is placed. Mugglers think you are a maintainer and usually pay you no attention. Just my way of hiding in plain sight.  

Send the kids in.... my 11/8 year olds are good for this, nobody pays attention to what they're doing..... or go and hide in early morning, or when its raining, or 40 degrees C, that always keeps the muggle numbers down.....

7 hours ago, meanbone said:

I usually suit up in a bright yellow reflective vest, hard hat, gloves and a fake paper list. I appear that I'm looking at the paper trying to verify something find my hiding spot and boom the cache is placed

6 hours ago, meanbone said:

I am actually referring to the placement around a street sign or a telephone pole

Are your "finders" going to have the same advantage of "a bright yellow reflective vest, hard hat, gloves and a fake paper list" so as to be hidden in plain sight?  We try to ask ourselves when placing a cache - how inviting is it for someone to try and search, without the advantage of knowing where it is?  Would WE enjoy approaching GZ and trying to search?  Is there a convenient pull out off a busy roadway?  Is it on a popular walking trail with lots of bikes and dogs and other activity?  Attributes and descriptions can be used to at least forewarn seekers of potential difficulties as they search.  If it's tricky for you to hide, it will be just as tricky, or even moreso, for someone to find.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Are your "finders" going to have the same advantage of "a bright yellow reflective vest, hard hat, gloves and a fake paper list" so as to be hidden in plain sight?  We try to ask ourselves when placing a cache - how inviting is it for someone to try and search, without the advantage of knowing where it is?  Would WE enjoy approaching GZ and trying to search?  Is there a convenient pull out off a busy roadway?  Is it on a popular walking trail with lots of bikes and dogs and other activity?  Attributes and descriptions can be used to at least forewarn seekers of potential difficulties as they search.  If it's tricky for you to hide, it will be just as tricky, or even moreso, for someone to find.

In some cases, I'm more nervous when I'm ready to put the cache back into place, when someone begins watching who didn't even see me grab it.  Such as the one on a busy driveway between two businesses, when I was holding a camo 35mm film tube with a 3" piece of rope poking out of the cap.  And I'm thinking WHY.  Did.  They.  Make.  It.  Look.  Like.  Dynamite.  ...!

Yes, consider the poor fools that want to put it back in place, as well as how awkward we seem while hunting it.  Some of us look like axe murderers.  Hey, it's the look I was born with.  Sheesh.  Don't rub it in.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1