Etrex 30 Route Starting Point

wandamartons

Apologies if this is asked frequently I am struggling to put what I want into words which makes using the search function rather tricky.

Can anyone tell me how to change the start point of a route whilst out in the field? Example scenario - before we go out caching I like to identify a number of caches and a parking spot, and then create a circular loop that begins and ends at the parking spot. The problem is if we have to park in a different place then I need to change the start point of the route, otherwise the Garmin will keep trying to take me to the first point of the route. Similar issues occur if we have to change course, miss a route point or whatever - there doesn't seem to be any easy way to tell the Garmin to skip a route point but I am sure there must be some way to do this? Thanks in advance.

I suspect on your eTrex 30 you have Setup > Routing > Off Road Transitions set to Auto, which automatically routes the user to the next in sequence route point.

When set to Manual, you can select the next point from the route, and when set to Distance, the eTrex will automatically route to the next closest point when within a user specified distance.

This, and much more useful information is available here, and here.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

If you find yourself parking at a different trailhead or parking area, you might consider starting your route along the trail since the first thing the GPS will do is route you to the first point anyway.

Yes, although in a couple of cases so far the planned parking area has actually been right on the route itself anyway. I think changing the setting mentioned above to Distance is probably the best solution for me, because it means the Garmin should pick up the next point once I get to within 100 metres of it - which means less time with Gamin in hand, which is a good thing in the current cold weather :)