What's with COs having multiple Hider names?

Goodgulf

I discovered some time ago that some COs were using alternate names to hide their caches. That is the "Cache by/Placed by" name is different than the COs actual profile name. I am curious about this feature and why COs hide caches by multiple names? What is the advantage/benefit of doing this? I have seen examples where a themed series has an equally themed Cache by/Placed by name which I guess adds to the overall theming.  I have seen this causing an issue with alphanumeric challenges where you are looing for 36 unique COs rather than 36 unique Cache by/Placed by. Wondering why Groundspeak set up this option. Thx.

1.  To facilitate team hides, since only one account name can be the true owner in the database structure.  (Hidden By:  "CacherA and CacherB")

2.  To provide a clue to a puzzle.  (Hidden By:  "Julius" means it's a Caesar cipher)

3.  To recognize adoptions. (Hidden By:  "CacherA, adopted from CacherB")

4.  To match a series theme, like you mentioned above.

5.  Because it can be fun.

When this option was set up two decades ago, alphanumeric challenges weren't a thing.  And, alphanumeric challenges are grandfathered (no longer allowed).

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, Goodgulf said:

What is the advantage/benefit of doing this?

Here in Brazil, there's a friend whos nickname is Danger_Danger and he uses the most funny names usually according to the cache theme...

By instance...

Géocache Français hidden by Napoleon Bonaparte

Scary Cache!!! O Cache do Fim do Mundo!!! hidden by Hector Barbossa, Captain of Black Pearl

Electric Avenue hidden by Nerd Vintage

The fun starts by reading the listing :)

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

We see this fairly frequently around here for 'team' hides (Keystone's #1 reason).

For example, when the annual Wingin' It event committee sets up hides that are published during our annual event (which we'll miss this time for the first time in 12 years), the 'committee' claims credit for the hide, though the account actually used is that of one of the members.

I had a series of puzzles with a story that tied the puzzles together; the story was that a group of eight fictional geocachers (that were my daughter's Beanie Boo stuffed animals) got together and created a series of puzzles for the local community, each creating one that had to do with something he or she really enjoyed.  One created a puzzle based on a video game, another on art, another on technology, etc.  My daughter helped me with some of the art and it was a time I was learning to use GIMP for some photo editing.

Since each one hid their own puzzle in the story, on each cache page I made the "A Cache By" line the name of the fictional geocacher(s) for each puzzle.  It lent an air of authenticity to the puzzle series, well as much as could be given being they were stuffed animals.  :D

Here's the final of the puzzle series, which I recently archived: https://coord.info/GC62D9P

e780245e-06c6-409d-88d3-839e6daa9657.jpg

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Goodgulf said:

Interesting. I never noticed an option to use a different name when I set up my hides. I'll keep an eye out for this. I am planning a series based on the Borgs in Star Trek. Maybe I'll use the name Lucutus :D Happy Holidays!

I SWEAR, this is NOT an annoying nerd-Trek-purist post telling you what to do.

Rather, it's a point of info in case your comment wasn't just a typographical error and you really do intend to use that name, helpfully offered in good faith.

'Locutus' is spelled with an initial "O", not a "U", as Picard was assimilated to be a mechanism of mutually-understandable contact between the Borg and the Federation; an "interLOCUTor".

Spell it with a "U", and you'll take some heat!

-----------------

OK, the rest of you, carefully roll your eyes back into place and carry on.

(Fave T-shirt for a while back in the 90's: "I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to be asslaminated.")

• Funny 4
28 minutes ago, sernikk said:

I saw also cases where the changed name of the owner was used to be a part of a puzzle (Mystery cache) ;)

Yes,  there are only a handful of things a CO can change on the listing, and this is one of them that is sometimes used for puzzles.  I adopted several caches early on and used the placed by field to recognize that they were originally hidden by someone else.