Needs Reviewer Attention

sernikk

I remember some time ago there was a survey created by the HQ, where one of the most desired changes to the site was to replace Needs Archived with Needs Reviewer Attention.

The main argument was, that more often caches just need to be turned off or changed in a way, where only a local reviewer can force it. I also saw a lot of people confused about NA logs, thinking they are aimed at the owner and the main goal is to take the cache down, when it mostly isn't.

What happened to that idea? Anyone remembers it?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Not sure, but at events everyone agreed what "Needs Reviewer Attention" really meant.  :)  

It's not like the CO is gonna feel so much better seeing a simple change in wording...

Most cache owners know a Reviewer archives hides,  so I feel NA is at least telling it like it is.

It's not only the CO, but also other players. Recently I saw two caches where NA logs were posted, where other players reacted like it would be a command "take the cache down!", while it was only a reminder, that the cache is out-of-service for a long time or is not following current guidelines. There are CO's though, that won't react to anything else than a NA log, and I see people being scared of notifying the reviewer that way, as it would be something wrong and inappropriate. Changing the name of the type of log would make it, in my opinion, less categorical.

Edited by sernikk
typo
  • Upvote 3
On 12/22/2020 at 1:17 PM, sernikk said:

I remember some time ago there was a survey created by the HQ, where one of the most desired changes to the site was to replace Needs Archived with Needs Reviewer Attention.

In the survey you referenced, 80% of the respondents answered that it would be somewhat, very, or extremely helpful to rename Needs Archived to Needs Reviewer Attention. The remaining 20% answered that it would be not so helpful or not at all helpful. (FWIW, the overwhelming majority of survey respondents were cache owners.)

On the surface, it might appear to be a pretty simple change to make, but is actually a fairly significant engineering project that potentially touches the website (old/new logging flows), mobile apps, API partners, Garmin, etc. It's not a dead idea, but we're still investigating the feasibility.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3

@Rock Chalk

Unclear as to why it would be a major engineering project unless there's some change in function implied as well.  I think, but could be wrong, that the only change being requested is in the textual description of the function.  That shouldn't change 'logging flows', and while API partners and Garmin would need to be notified of the change in text, it could be rolled out by those entities as new code versions and new models are created.  Nothing requires that this all be implemented concurrently across the entire infrastructure, just rolled out as possible to improve the clarity of the intent of the feature.  Until such time as each point of contact with the text changes, we'll be no better or worse off than we are now, but as it begins to appear in more and more places, the UI will have been improved.  Yes, that does mean a lack of consistency across all platforms until it's fully implemented by all, but that doesn't seem to be that big of a hit in that regard.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
48 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

@Rock Chalk

Unclear as to why it would be a major engineering project unless there's some change in function implied as well.  I think, but could be wrong, that the only change being requested is in the textual description of the function.  That shouldn't change 'logging flows', and while API partners and Garmin would need to be notified of the change in text, it could be rolled out by those entities as new code versions and new models are created.  Nothing requires that this all be implemented concurrently across the entire infrastructure, just rolled out as possible to improve the clarity of the intent of the feature.  Until such time as each point of contact with the text changes, we'll be no better or worse off than we are now, but as it begins to appear in more and more places, the UI will have been improved.  Yes, that does mean a lack of consistency across all platforms until it's fully implemented by all, but that doesn't seem to be that big of a hit in that regard.

Yeah me too I have a hard time to understand why they can't just use Ctrl-f in their code and change every NA for NRA.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 3
  • Helpful 1
10 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Yeah me too I have a hard time to understand why they can't just use Ctrl-f in their code and change every NA for NRA.

What could possibly go wrong?

Have you ever worked with legacy code? The lackeys and volunteer reviewers have mentioned many times that a lot of legacy code from the early days of geocaching.com still lives on. Remember that this was basically a hobby site in the early days. Not everything was designed with best engineering practices back then, and not everything was designed with a vision for what geocaching.com has become today, or with a vision for what members would ask for today.

48 minutes ago, niraD said:

What could possibly go wrong?

Have you ever worked with legacy code?

Um ... yes.  In fact, I just 'un-retired' three weeks ago to help a good friend out of a ditch.  The only person who understood the control software for his product gave 2 weeks notice, and now I'm in the process of working on code developed in Delphi 6 (a queer GUI superstructure underlaid by Pascal).  FWIW, the current version of the Delphi IDE is 10.4.  The original code was written in a long ago obsolete language for 6502, and is now running on Win10.  That give you any idea of where life is for ME?  So yes, my request stands, unsympathetically, as written.

1 minute ago, thebruce0 said:

/me thinks there may be variable names and structures and other hard code using various forms of "needs-archived", not just front end display text - with the two tightly connected :lol:

@thebruce0

Since we're only talking about modification to the HTML text displayed, there's no coding reason I can think of that would wrap that text string around any actual data variable for the web site.  It would be odd, if true.  The displayed string won't be derived from a variable name.  The names might happen to match to keep the code understandable, but that's of no consequence.

And as far as the official phone app goes, that's new enough that it shouldn't pose those kinds of issues.

• Helpful 1

As someone who uses the Reviewer Toolset daily, I can appreciate the complexity summarized by Rock Chalk.  The entry of a "Needs Archived" log has several downstream consequences for Reviewers, including a review queue with multiple filters, and the page where we view caches with low health scores.  (A "Needs Archived" materially impacts the Cache Health Score.)

There is a lot of Geocaching.com functionality that's "under the hood."

• Upvote 2