Last Logged in Date vs Cache log date

catswine

I am confused about something.  I was looking to see when a Cacher was last logged into Geocaching.com and I see a date of August 31, 2020.  But when I checked that cachers cache log, I see they were actually logging a cache in November, 2020. How can you log a cache in November when you haven't logged into Geocaching.com since August? 

22 minutes ago, catswine said:

I am confused about something.  I was looking to see when a Cacher was last logged into Geocaching.com and I see a date of August 31, 2020.  But when I checked that cachers cache log, I see they were actually logging a cache in November, 2020. How can you log a cache in November when you haven't logged into Geocaching.com since August? 

They only show the date that you last logged into the website. If you go on to the app then it won’t show up

• Upvote 2
48 minutes ago, catswine said:

I am confused about something.  I was looking to see when a Cacher was last logged into Geocaching.com and I see a date of August 31, 2020. 

But when I checked that cachers cache log, I see they were actually logging a cache in November, 2020.

How can you log a cache in November when you haven't logged into Geocaching.com since August? 

We know a lot of people who never enter the site.  They all use phones.   :)

For example, you have pmo caches. 

- One of the (couple of) reasons the pmo Audit wasn't really missed when it went bye-bye was bookmarks, lists, PQs, and just using a phone didn't need to enter the site, so wouldn't trigger that audit. 

Besides the privacy concerns, it was no longer "accurate" for whatever purpose the CO used it for.  

2 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Groundspeak should find a way to have an accurate last logged date even for those on phone. They could use when someone log a cache to update it. 

Or - if there are concerns about the protection of personal data - they shouldn't give this information about anyone!?

Personally I use this information only for one purpose: to decide whether to log "needs maintenance" with a cache missing (active cacher) or "needs archived" (cache is missing and the website tells me the cacher hasn't been only for two years). If someone only logs in via app and the website (I only use this and not the app) doesn't show me that would be bad in this case.

Show the activity of everyone or noone.... I personally don't have a problem with others knowing when I was online (5 minutes ago :-)) but I understand the problem when others know when and where you have been - but if that's the problem perhaps logs shouldn't show a date either!?

Jochen

15 minutes ago, frostengel said:

Show the activity of everyone or noone.... I personally don't have a problem with others knowing when I was online (5 minutes ago :-)) but I understand the problem when others know when and where you have been - but if that's the problem perhaps logs shouldn't show a date either!?

I don't have a problem either with people knowing when I was last online, as that doesn't tell anyone what part of the world you are online from. Because of that, I don't see any privacy issues with that, and not since every log you log shows you are active, and where you are. Showing when you were last online, pales into insignificance compared to that. If I were travelling and didn't want people to know I was away (no one home, good time to rob the house for instance), I wouldn't log till I got home, to cover that privacy issue, or at least had moved on to a different place. And if privacy worries you, I hope you aren't logging on facebook.

20 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

And if privacy worries you, I hope you aren't logging on facebook.

As I said - I do not care too much about my personal data. I don't like the anonymity of the internet too much and that's why I give my real name to make it more personal.

But there are many other reasons not to use facebook but that's offtopic. But your hope is fullfilled. ;-)

Jochen