Fake Logs

Die Nemos

Hi HQ,

I have a question about how to react after a probably fake log on one of our Adventure Labs.

Two cachers logged the adventure, but one of them was on another continent at the same day and the other one did not leave Europe so far. So they both probably used a fake GPS to log these ALs.

And, what is more irritating, with haven't been on place, there is no chance to google the answers. So how is it possible to make a log?

So, what can I do now?

Cheers

Thomas

20 minutes ago, Die Nemos said:

And, what is more irritating, with haven't been on place, there is no chance to google the answers. So how is it possible to make a log?

There are many answers, which cannot be googled, but which can be guessed. You have infinite tries, so e.g. if you ask for a number with a presumably limited range, it's not too much effort to eventually hit it just by try&error.

Also, it's possible that one of the earlier finders shared the answers on some spoiler group of FB or similar.

23 minutes ago, Die Nemos said:

So, what can I do now?

For the existing fake logs, nothing.

To reduce the number of future fake logs, you can make sure that your answers are not only un-googleable (no idea if this is a word ;) ) but also effectively unguessable. And if you think that's already the case and therefore suspect "leaked answers", change some questions and answers. But in the long run, you can just as well give up. After the 10th completion, you no longer see who played your AL anyway - unless they leave a comment, which cheaters of course don't do.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

There are many answers, which cannot be googled, but which can be guessed. You have infinite tries, so e.g. if you ask for a number with a presumably limited range, it's not too much effort to eventually hit it just by try&error.

Also, it's possible that one of the earlier finders shared the answers on some spoiler group of FB or similar.

For the existing fake logs, nothing.

To reduce the number of future fake logs, you can make sure that your answers are not only un-googleable (no idea if this is a word ;) ) but also effectively unguessable. And if you think that's already the case and therefore suspect "leaked answers", change some questions and answers. But in the long run, you can just as well give up. After the 10th completion, you no longer see who played your AL anyway - unless they leave a comment, which cheaters of course don't do.

There is no earlier finder and all answers are non numbers. So this normally cannot be the case.

In fact, fake loggers exist. I know, it is only a game and these cachers makethemself ridiculous. It is just to know for myself, how it can be that they have the answers.

29 minutes ago, Die Nemos said:

There is no earlier finder and all answers are non numbers. So this normally cannot be the case.

AFAIK, there are options to abuse the API, if you are an expert in this area. I don't know the full details, though - and if I did, I'd obviously not discuss them here.

2 hours ago, Die Nemos said:

So how is it possible to make a log?

There are many options. You have no control over this issue. It is the game app that decides when the answer is correct and it is possible to brute force and use even more sophisticated ways to answer the question correctly.

2 hours ago, Die Nemos said:

So, what can I do now?

Please, do more Adventure Labs and stop staring statistics. You are making adventures for players that play them as you have planned. Do not care what others are doing. It is the same as making mystery caches. You basically make them for those who want to solve the mystery and not for those who only want the point by signing the log.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, arisoft said:

Please, do more Adventure Labs and stop staring statistics. You are making adventures for players that play them as you have planned. Do not care what others are doing. It is the same as making mystery caches. You basically make them for those who want to solve the mystery and not for those who only want the point by signing the log.

Good point and I think, that's the best way to handle this. Go out, have fun and do not care about those stupid people.

• Upvote 2