Goals for 2021

on4bam

It's that time of the year again. What are the geocachinggoals for 2021?

These were the goals for 2020

1. Do as we always have done, find "good" caches and ignore the "bad" ones.
  2. Find #10000 (only 317 to go so that's easy).
  3. Find the "Superbonus" of the "Rondje Vlaanderen" series (2 to go but website to enter codes is broken since API change).
  4. Try to get a new country (citytrip/main holiday.. no plans yet but a few ideas)
  5. Get the % of traditionals down (below 50%, now at 55.4%) and % of multi's/Wherigo's up.

1. Done, goal for 2021 is the same
  2. Done, we've even past 11000 so no more "number goal"
  3. Done
  4. Bummer... same goal for 2021 as we skipped that one. All will depend on vaccination here and situation at the destination. Our citytrip to Ljubljana remains "to do" as does our main holiday to Namibia. Should the main holiday not work out we already have an alternative for early 2022. As always, hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  5. Still working on it. We're at 54% now but have been lower. We did a few high FP traditional series so it could have been better.
  6. Filling more days in our calendar. We should finally fill it (10 days to go).

Edited by on4bam

From 2020... 

1 - I was asked about my stats by another, surprised that I'm still less than 2T.  Maybe I'll fix that.

2 -An ailment from this year will continue into next a bit.

- An incident (while caching) a couple years ago somehow created/aggravated others, or the docs noticed because of it. 

It's been three years, and I'm ready to get outta slo-mo again.

It appears that I finally got my terrain to at least 2.  I guess not having the other 2/3rds on 1.5  FTF runs helped.   :)

I'm still in "therapy" but healing well, and have done a couple caches last month and this. 

When I can con them for more I will.  They're busy with this virus too, so I'm catching some breaks (that triage thing...).

I'm just happy to get out,  so whatever I do is better than the last couple years.  :D

Against my better judgement,  picked up a 12 mini, so maybe try some caching with a phone again once in a while...

My goals for 2020 were

I’m now 247 finds into my streak and the highest streak challenge in my country is 500 so that’s the goal. Doing that will also complete my find calendar and get me to 1000 finds total so I guess I’m set as far as stats and milestones go. Maybe try to do 11 12 13 cache types in a single day as that seems uniquely doable in 2020.

Other than that, there are a few slightly hard local caches that I’d like to finally find next summer, maybe hide a few more of my own. Geocaching for me is largely an excuse to ride my bike around, but perhaps I could plan some more ambitious rides/caching trips in 2020.

My caching streak is currently 616 days so I got the 500 days (and 1000 caches) streak challenges. I’ll continue at least until the end of calendar year, but possibly until I get 6666 D/T stars to complete yet another streak challenge I’ll never have another chance at. Most cache types in a single day ended up being 14 (including lab cache) which was nice. Still not sure how it happened but I somehow went from 2 FTFs to 21.

I hid 2 caches but didn’t hide 2 more, still unsure about whether to use the AL credit. As the highlight of the year, I completed 3 long-ish bikepacking trips visiting (and finding caches in) parts of the country I had never even driven through.

In 2021 I plan to end my streak and try not to pick up any more stupid stats to chase. I hope I can do 1-2 longer rides again and maybe join in on a few FTF hunts if the opportunity presents itself.

With the pandemic any geocaching goals I had for 2020 went out the window and it doesn't seem feasible to make any for 2021 for the same reason.

I would particularly like to get more states (currently at 20) and more cache across Cache Across America series (6 so far).

I hit 6000 this year, but I had considered sprinting in Dec 2019 so that I could host an event on my 10th geoversary that would also be my 6000th Find. Neither the sprint nor the event happened so my 10th geoversary instead went by barely acknowledged rather than celebrated.

There's a good chance  I will end up with this year the most Finds I've had in a calendar year since 2013, but that number is inflated by finding over 50 Adventure Labs plus about 100 caches in one day in March with a group on a bike trail right before the pandemic shut everything down and a couple GeoTours. Then again, because of the pandemic I got less than 25 caches during May, April, and the second half of March when I would normally get 75-100.

I expect going forward geocaching is going to become something I do almost only when out of my local area on vacation. I don't try to maintain a streak and I've mostly cached out my local area (haven't found all the caches but have found almost all the caches I want to find). Daytrips have gotten more challenging too as some eyesight issues are requiring me to be more selective about where I feel I can drive safely at night. It will also depend what kind of winter we get in Florida. The last several years have been short, warm winters even by Florida standards. We've also had an abnormally wet fall (back in May we had near drought conditions) which means lots of areas I might cache in are still flooded which isn't typical for this time of year.

• Upvote 1

I looked for the 2020 thread   https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/354345-goals-for-2020/

And found my goals were:

Block Party and Geowoodstock in August - no

create some paddle caches - no  - though I have hidden some new caches, and a couple of Adventure Labs.

host at least one event - no  

Unstated, maintain Jasmer finds - ie, a cache (or 2) for each month. No 

For 2021

the Block Party and GW

host my Community Celebration Event

play Jasmer catch up

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @Isonzo Karst for the link to the 2020 thread - you saved me some searching!  Here are my goals for 2020 from that thread:

• Get my total find count to 2020.  My goal for 2019 was to reach 2000 finds; I'm still over 200 away from that goal, and maybe 2020 in 2020 is attainable!  I'm at 2050 finds right now, and 50 of those are from 10 Adventure Labs completed.  Even without the AL's, I'm right at 2000 now, so this goal is done!
  • Find a cache on Feb. 29 to finish my calendar grid.  We filled every day in 2018 except for Feb. 29, and this will be our first opportunity to fill that day since we began geocaching in 2017.  Done - we attended an event, found caches, and I even nabbed a FTF for this day!
  • Host an event.  We've attended events, but never hosted one.  I applied for one of the Celebration events - we'll see if that comes through.  I did get one of the Celebration Events, but unfortunately we are still unable to host events like that (there have been a couple of CITO events nearby).  I'd still like to host an event, someday.
  • Hide 12 more caches.  Same goal as 2019, and I only got 6 hidden then.  I'll go for 12 again!  I'm not going to make this one - I've hidden 3 this year, plus 1 Adventure Lab, so that's 4 (or 8 depending on how you count it).  Either way, I'm short of my goal of 12.
  • Complete at least one Adventure Lab Cache.  A few have popped up in reasonable driving distance, and I'm curious to see how it goes.  I enjoy Wherigo caches, when they work!  Done!  I did 10 of these, and also created one that I was awarded.

It looks like I managed to meet the goals that enhanced my personal stats, but fell short on the goals that contribute to the community (event, hide caches).  My goals for 2021 will focus on building the community, it looks like!!

From 2020:

Last weekend I completed my first wish. 100 Finds in one day. I never thought I'd do that but did it anyway.

Yes

Since I'm 1/10 of the way there why not try for the 1000 in a year. 

Yes - Finished this a few weeks ago. Don't plan on trying this agin. It became work and I kind of burned out for a bit.

I'd like to make a trek to Potter's pond and complete my last missing month. 

No - Transferred to 2021

Highlight from 2020 on the road to 1000 finds was GC2101 3 Corners  (SE Oregon Hatrick) with Covid chose many remote caches what an adventure.

2021:

1) Complete Jasmer one left closest is Potter's Pond
2) Find more oldies before they go away
3) Have fun. 
4) Go someplace amazing

My goals for 2020 was:

-Add at least 3 new countries (suprisingly I don't even have the states now even though I live in Southern Ontario) 

Well, that didn't happen! I was planning (and had booked) a trip to Italy in the summer, with maybe going to another country or two) 

-End 2020 with 400 caches in total (as of now, I have 155)

Happily surpassed this goal! I actually thought this was a long shot. I am now at 675, trying to get as close to 700 by the end of the year. 

-Explore Toronto (while caching of course) and see new areas of the city

Did this one :)  As well as other places around here

-Hide 4 new caches.

Hid 3, plus an adventure lab (so technically got this one) I also have another adventure credit that I will be doing soon!

Should be a good year 

2021 goals

-Add a couple more provinces/counties. 2022 goal will be more countries

-End 2021 with 1100 caches

-Hide two more caches

-Go to an event/CITO (hopefully) :)

Let's see!

Edited by psychpineapple
  • Upvote 1

My goals for 2020 were:

My goal for 2020 is to create a geocaching topic in the forums which will rally the entire geocaching community into peace and harmony throughout the ages.

And find some geocaches too

Goal #1 is impossible.  I try to be light and fun and not take anything seriously, but people in these forums tend to take geocaching topics way too serious.  So I'll call #1 a failed goal.

Goal #2 I met with a whopping 38 geocache finds.

For 2021 I'll modify my goals:

#1: Find some geocaches

#2: Resist posting anything in the geocaching forums

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

For me:

- Close out my Finds for Each Day of the Year (36 days left)

- Finish and place a Borg themed series + bonus cache

- Focus more time on maintaining the caches I own and sprucing them up

- Convincing someone to take over the Tri Valley World Series Puzzle series :D

- Find all the Challenge caches I qualify for in the 9 Bay Area counties (stretch)

My Goals for 2021 are simple:

1. Host a Celebration Event
  2. Find the Locationless Cache
  3. Hit 1000 Counties Cached in (Currently sitting at 960)
  4. Find more than 400 Caches - I typically find 200-300 during most years, but my best year is 700+ so this should be a good (yet achievable) challenge
  5. Hide at least 2 more Earth Caches

I'll check back in a few months from now and see how I'm doing. 

• Upvote 1

Many of our 2020 goals were mooted by COVID 19 restrictions. But I guess let's see what 2021 brings. It's not like I lose if I don't get there. The more I think about it, the more goals I want to add, just so I have some chance of getting a few of them.

1 - Find a cache in 2 new countries.

2 - Find a cache in 2 new US states.

3 - Complete a state county and Delorme challenge. We already have Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware, so perhaps West Virginia or Pennsylvania.

4 - Get more US county finds, which also means, get more finds outside Virginia (basically, color in the map more)

5 - Find the oldest cache in at least one more US state

6 - To give us at least one local goal, work on completing local challenges.

7 - Visit HQ and take part in the delayed 20th Anniversary celebrations

8 - Get my Adventure Lab finished and published

9 - Safely host our Community Celebration Event

10 - Get my 100th FTF - only 2 to go, and this also satisfies my long term goal to get 1 or 2 FTFs a year.

Edited by hzoi

Well, seeing as how we're in this....place. I'll adjust my goals accordingly.

#1 - Find 150 caches (I don't want to find too many next year if things are looking the way they are)

#2 - Hide a cache in another city/county (I've thought greatly about this due to maintenance concerns, and I think I'll hide one next month and see if I care enough about the cache to bother keeping it....)

#3 - Try to work toward finishing or getting closer to more statistical ideals......such as Finds calendar (By January 1st, I'll have 29 days left), DT grids and....let's leave that there. 

#4 - Hide a few more caches. I could try and push my hide count to 100, but that'd be tough in case things get busy and maintenance becomes very tough. I'll leave this to say....10 hides.

#5 - Have fun caching. Just make the most of it. :)

Ok, goals for next year:

1. Finally hide that bloody adventure lab!

2. Write a Wherigo cartridge

3. Go traveling! On todo list, moved from this year: Monaco and Budapest

4. Find EarthCaches (extra points for finding EarthCaches that actually deal with geology)

5. Keep on exploring, nice longer hiking caches and basically just enjoy the single cache over masses of finds. Basically a fluffy fun target that I'm sure I'll get.

16 hours ago, humboldt flier said:

Next goal is to make it out of 2021 alive.

This is a big one for all of us. Everyone. This is a tough time in society....it'll take a lot to get back to a point close to where we were....mentally and in general. A lot of people will be struggling with mental health these days, or have in the last few months, and will continue to. As a cacher who knows a lot about this....this goal means a lot and is....a bit tough in all honesty. Stay well everyone. 

• Love 1

Staying

Alive in this Covid filled world is number #1 goal.

Hope to see my relatives (I saw ZERO) IN 2020 because I'm in the over 60+ bracket and when I travel to see them I get to cache.  This would be good enough for me.  Maybe someday I will make it to 5k.  It just doesn't seem that important any more.

Good health to you all!

• Upvote 3

Two of my goals for 2020 were:

1) Finish the Jasmer Challenge on a trip to Michigan with my sister.  And

2) Bring my finds total to 10,000.  But, with COVID-19, I'm avoiding the more urban caches nearby.

So, those are my goals for 2021!  Plus:

3) Continue my Cache Of The Day Streak!

• Upvote 1
On 12/20/2020 at 6:33 PM, TmdAndGG said:

2. Find caches in all the counties of Florida (Although I honestly doubt that'll happen:lol:Florida has way too many counties...)

With 67 counties Florida doesn't even make the top 10, which all have 95 or more. Texas has 254!

The panhandle is usually dealt with by a weekend trip to grab all the counties in a hurry. However, if you have the time and haven't been to the panhandle before I recommend a more leisurely week-long trip to enjoy the sights and sites the area has to offer. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

With 67 counties Florida doesn't even make the top 10, which all have 95 or more. Texas has 254!

The panhandle is usually dealt with by a weekend trip to grab all the counties in a hurry. However, if you have the time and haven't been to the panhandle before I recommend a more leisurely week-long trip to enjoy the sights and sites the area has to offer. 

I spent a few days in Destin for a conference (before geocaching). It was the first time I'd ever seen a beach "groomed" every night.

7 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

It's not always the number, but the size of the counties.  Here in Washington we have great big counties - King County is nearly twice the size of the state of Rhode Island!  Easy to find a cache for that county, but trying to find caches in a bunch of postage stamp size counties - without going over a border - can be harder (we had fun doing the RI Delorme where we 'missed' one and diverted to a close-by one that was over the 'border').

There is a lot to see up there - Florida's highest waterfall (63 feet, starts at ground level and falls down), high point of Florida and many other sights we've enjoyed while passing thru.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
14 hours ago, The Jester said:

It's not always the number, but the size of the counties.  Here in Washington we have great big counties - King County is nearly twice the size of the state of Rhode Island!  Easy to find a cache for that county, but trying to find caches in a bunch of postage stamp size counties - without going over a border - can be harder (we had fun doing the RI Delorme where we 'missed' one and diverted to a close-by one that was over the 'border').

For those that like bagging municipalities I present to you: Belgium!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipalities_of_Belgium

29 minutes ago, terratin said:

For those that like bagging municipalities I present to you: Belgium!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipalities_of_Belgium

There's even a way to enjoy them geocaching. Rondje Vlaanderen (Flemish municipalities), Tour de Wallonie (Walloon municipalities and Tour de Bruxelles on the same website). There are bonus caches when most caches have been found (caches contain codewords).

It took us some time to find them all (some towns without an RV cache now have one so our map again has a few blanc spots).

We tried to pick them up every time we were out doing other caches, most were above average quality as from the beginning CO's were asked to "make them special".

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, on4bam said:

There's even a way to enjoy them geocaching. Rondje Vlaanderen (Flemish municipalities), Tour de Wallonie (Walloon municipalities and Tour de Bruxelles on the same website). There are bonus caches when most caches have been found (caches contain codewords).

It took us some time to find them all (some towns without an RV cache now have one so our map again has a few blanc spots).

We tried to pick them up every time we were out doing other caches, most were above average quality as from the beginning CO's were asked to "make them special".

Wow, that's fantastic! I just spend a few hours today trying to find and adjust a few useful, but rather old kmz files to at least map Dutch municipalities and train stations (yep, no car) for some proper planning. Looks not nice, but will do. I'm also trying to go for nice, memorable caches and not the boring micros behind garbage bins.
image.thumb.png.dc5a7c18499a67644d526b379e94f85f.png

Edited by terratin

My goals for 2020 were to simply get at least one cache more per month than last year; to average one per day for total of 366, to get 1100 caches total.

I did not make it in June for some reason, but did manage to get over 400 caches this year. In doing that I did surpass every month but June. I still need 4 this month to beat last December and to reach 1200 caches. I did manage to get the most caches per year so far (since Nov 2016).That total number does include Adventure Lab so actually logs signed is maybe 30 less.  

Goal for 2021, find some caches. Due to very limited finances many need to curtail caches beyond an hour drive. If I cannot access the Geocaching app via iPhone may need to curtail a lot more. I do have Cachly and a Garmin Etrex 30 I finally figured how to use better. I do have a few trails -Rails to Trails and an abandoned turnpike section to complete. 

Ah yes, the annual goals topic, always nice to look back - and ahead!

My goals for this year were:

• Fill the D/T grid for the 28th, 29th and 30th time. Only 7 caches in total needed for that, shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Done! I'm at 30 now, and calling it quits indefinitely. Every new D/T grid count increase will be pure coincidental.

• Fill the D/T grid for LARGE caches. Coincidentally, this needs 7 more finds as well, but it's WAY harder.

Done! This was just an amazing challenge, highly recommended. I needed some driving for some D/T combinations, but that's part of the fun.

• Find the Signal Locationless cache. Lots of Megas here, no problem. Gotta get that new icon!

Nope! Covid spoiled this one.

• Attend (and/or, if I'm lucky, organize) a Community Celebration Event. Again, new icon...

Done! I even get to organize one myself, but that'll be for next year.

• Add a whole bunch of new country finds. 15 are already planned.

Partially done. 'Only' got to visit 4 new countries (Finland & the Baltics).

• Wishful thinking, but: complete the Jasmer grid! Will have to visit Sweden for this one.

Nope!

So now, what's up for 2021?

• Again, add a whole bunch of new country finds. Spain, Sweden and Ireland, I'm looking at you!
  • Visit the giga in Prague, and go for 15 cache types in 1 day. Pick up the Signal Locationless cache and the GPS Maze as well.
  • Find my 500th Large cache. No goal in itself, it just means I'd like to do lots of large caches, which are after all the most fun to find.
  • Complete the Jasmer grid! Just book that trip to Sweden already! Yes, after covid.

1) Get back to travelling, and add one or more new countries

2) Related to 1: Visit HQ, attend the HQ Celebration event, and log the APE.

3) Related to 1: Complete the Jasmer

4) Hide one or more EarthCaches

5) Host a Celebration event

6) Related to 1-5: Have fun

I almost lost my life in 2020 and still can’t hike as far or as hard as I once did.  The experience reinforced my belief that numbers are the least interesting part of this game.    My  goals then are relatively simple.  

To be able to kayak again and find a kayak cache.

To be able to bicycle to a cache.   
To travel to interesting places and find a cache or two along the way.

To cache safely with some friends. 

• Upvote 2