need new Garmin GPS for driving to caches

IdaLabs

I dropped our Garmin DriveAssist 50LMT and now it's useless so we're in the market for a new auto GPS.  I tried to purchase another one (not from Garmin, they don't have them) and was sent a DriveAssist 51 LMTHD.  Garmin only has a few units on their website, and I've had a really hard time finding geocaching reviews for the units I've been able to find online to purchase.  I'd really like to hear from other cachers about the available units and how they work for geocaching with GSAK and Cachetur.  I want to be able to load Routes and POIs into it, and want a forward facing video camera.  Thanks for any help. 

Well, that's one thing I'm not sure of.  How is it an upgrade?  Was anything lost from the 50 in the upgrade as sometimes happens?  It sounds like I would need a smartphone app for traffic updates, which we didn't need with the 50.  I don't really like the idea of using my phone with it as we have Sprint, and there are many places that we don't have coverage, although I'm guessing if traffic is bad enough we'd probably be in a covered area.  Am also wondering if we could use the cable from the 50 for the 51 and get traffic updates that way.  

2 minutes ago, IdaLabs said:

Well, that's one thing I'm not sure of.  How is it an upgrade?  Was anything lost from the 50 in the upgrade as sometimes happens?  It sounds like I would need a smartphone app for traffic updates, which we didn't need with the 50.  I don't really like the idea of using my phone with it as we have Sprint, and there are many places that we don't have coverage, although I'm guessing if traffic is bad enough we'd probably be in a covered area.  Am also wondering if we could use the cable from the 50 for the 51 and get traffic updates that way.  

Take it out of the box and find out.

Drive Assist shouldn't require a smartphone to use. DriveSmart don't require it either, but connect to your phone for a true hands-free experience.

1 minute ago, Mineral2 said:

The LMT-D seems to be a Europe-specific model.
The only LMT-HD I can find is a DriveSmart 50
And the only model of Drive Assist 51 I can find is the LMT-S

Did they send you a DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD or a Drive Assist 51 LMT-S?

DriveAssist 51 North America LMTHD    Taken right from the front of the box.  

huh. Weird that Garmin doesn't mention a model by that name on its website. Maybe the LMT-S is the same model renamed?

Anyway, a quick look at the manual answers all of your questions. Regarding traffic data,

To provide traffic information, your device must be receiving traffic data.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/driveassist51/EN-US/GUID-D13706CA-CFA3-45EF-8648-03BF4F9722B5.html

So, no, you do not NEED to use the smartphone link app to access traffic data with the 51 lmthd

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
22 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

huh. Weird that Garmin doesn't mention a model by that name on its website. Maybe the LMT-S is the same model renamed?

Anyway, a quick look at the manual answers all of your questions. Regarding traffic data,

To provide traffic information, your device must be receiving traffic data.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/driveassist51/EN-US/GUID-D13706CA-CFA3-45EF-8648-03BF4F9722B5.html

So, no, you do not NEED to use the smartphone link app to access traffic data with the 51 lmthd

Thanks, that's helpful and I appreciate it.  I guess I'll try it out.

• Love 1