Adding app to Apple Watch

Once upon a time, there was a version of the official Geocaching app for the Apple Watch.  But then, Apple overhauled the operating system for the watch, and it would've required Geocaching HQ to re-develop the app from scratch.  HQ decided to focus on other priorities that would benefit a greater number of geocachers.

As is often the case for advanced or niche features, a third party authorized partner solution is available.  Cachly has an Apple Watch version.

• Helpful 1
On 12/11/2020 at 4:17 PM, Keystone said:

Once upon a time, there was a version of the official Geocaching app for the Apple Watch.  But then, Apple overhauled the operating system for the watch, and it would've required Geocaching HQ to re-develop the app from scratch.  HQ decided to focus on other priorities that would benefit a greater number of geocachers.

As is often the case for advanced or niche features, a third party authorized partner solution is available.  Cachly has an Apple Watch version.

Based on your reply  I looked at Cachly.  Unfortunately that is not a free app.  I already pay the $30 annual premium membership.  As for developing from scratch, I don't think that is what would have been needed.  You know that the coding used to display the cache location on the desktop computer, iPhone, Android phone etc. is all the same.  Data transfer uploading and downloading etc. is all the same.  Where things differ is only in the HTML, CSS and some of the script files.  Having written enterprise level applications and been a full stack developer, I know that kind of stuff to assigned to junior programmers.  I can just imagine back in the early days when the home brew website that was the beginnings of Goundspeak, I can recall the usage by cachers was starting to overwhelm the servers and response times were real slow.  What if they had said "Ah! Screw it.  It's going to be too much of a hassle to upscale this app. Let's just abandoned the project all together."   They are in the coding and information business.  Don't you think it would behoove them to keep up with technology.  So I have a question for you Keystone; How many of your phone apps have disappeared because the platform upgraded?  Personally I have not lost a single one since I started using a smart cell phone.

Finally one more question was the app also abandoned for Android devices?  Or was there never an app for Android watches?

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

I would love an app for Apple Watch.  I just received one for Christmas and the first thing I did was try to put the geocaching app on there.  So sad to find out it doesn’t work on Apple Watch! How cool and stealth to search for caches amongst muggles by simply looking at your watch! 

• Funny 1
On 1/1/2021 at 11:17 AM, mjcruz said:

I would love an app for Apple Watch.  I just received one for Christmas and the first thing I did was try to put the geocaching app on there.  So sad to find out it doesn’t work on Apple Watch! How cool and stealth to search for caches amongst muggles by simply looking at your watch! 

Make sure to give Cachly a try, we have a very nice watch app that you would enjoy. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1