Garmin 66S Wireless Transfer Problem

Interesting. I was testing with a GPSMAP 66st, GPSMAP 66sr, and GPSMAP 65s, and was having no success at all.

Unfortunately, this is typical for Garmin 'Share Wirelessly' capable devices going all the way back to the Colorado. These features just have never worked reliably, if at all, and it is all too common to experience results like yours where the transfer will work with one unit but not another....

Please use the contact information found at GPSrChive> GPSMAP 66 > Troubleshooting to report this issue and stay on them to resolve it.

I can not tell you how many emails I have exchanged with them over the years for similar issues, to which they usually like to respond 'we can not duplicate this (in our perfect laboratory test environment)'...

Edited by Atlas Cached
1 hour ago, Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide said:

Well the fact that I can transfer between the Montana and the 66S successfully should probably be a big clue to them. I emailed product.support already, after spending 20 minutes on chat.

Which Montana do you have? The older 6x0 units don't have bluetooth and transfer all data to other units over ant+
The 66 series does have bluetooth transfer capabilities. So if transfer between each of your 66s units and your Montana (6x0) is successful in both directions, it may be that the 66s bluetooth isn't functioning correctly.

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Which Montana do you have? The older 6x0 units don't have bluetooth and transfer all data to other units over ant+
The 66 series does have bluetooth transfer capabilities. So if transfer between each of your 66s units and your Montana (6x0) is successful in both directions, it may be that the 66s bluetooth isn't functioning correctly.

The Wireless transfer between the Montana and the 66 is ANT+. My Montana is a 650.

I turned off Bt and WiFi on both 66 units and they still connected, but the track transfer stayed at 0% for the 5 minutes I left it on. They remained connected the whole time, but no transfer happened.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

Well that is totally bizarre. I didn't use the 66s all day and this evening I decided to run more tests and fired both up, switched them to demo mode, and went to Send Wirelessly.

I was able to send a waypoint, then a route, and then a track! I have no idea what changed as I didn't do anything to the settings from when I was not able to send tracks yesterday.

I sent a couple more tracks successfully after that. 

So I have no idea why it didn't work before, and what changed and allowed it to work now. I sure hope we won't be plagued with weird behaviour on this model.