App

Goldenwattle

46 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

How do I get the Geocaching app without having to join Google and give them my life's story?

The app is only available in the Play Store (for android), but I don't see any connection between using this store and giving google your life's story.

You know that you just can add some fake data into a new account, when you are so concerned about your privacy?

Edited by sernikk
spelling
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, sernikk said:

The app is only available in the Play Store (for android), but I don't see any connection between using this store and giving google your life's story.

You know that you just can add some fake data into a new account, when you are so concerned about your privacy?

I did give a fake birth date. I often give a fake birth date.

What type of phone do you use?

If it's an Android phone, then it'll need a gmail account to work for most Google apps. Depending on what you use the phone for, then you can get away without one if (for example) it's a Samsung phone and it has a Samsung account on it.

Some phones will allow you to have the credentials for multiple gmail accounts on it, so you can have throwaways for different apps. That option should be somewhere in Settings > Accounts then find the "add account" option.

Generally speaking, data about people is big business, so unless you have your phone with data, gps and bluetooth turned off and leave it in a drawer at home then you're going to be "telling your life story" to Google / Telstra / Samsung or whoever is part of providing your service. There are various aps available to help with privacy though I don't use them so can't make any recommendations. What I do for my phone / accounts, is I don't put any "real" information on my social media - I don't have any of my schools, where I work or "check in" listed with FB, any location based items I keep generalized such as the state that I'm in and I don't have specific relationships set up (like "this is my brother, that's my cousin, this is my boss" etc). I know the phone tracks where I go and what I do most of the time anyway, and there's only so much that I do to avoid it - once it becomes more effort than it's worth, I don't worry about it. The only real way to stop corporations collecting information on you is to not have a smart phone (which is why I giggle with all the "vaccines have microchips to track you" conspiracies).

• Surprised 1