How to send caches to phone or Garmin ETREX 10

grammyjuju1

I have searched the files and unable to find the answer to my issue.

We have a Garmin ETREX 10 and several years ago when we began caching we would send caches to the Garmin for later searching.

Our computers died and the Geocaching GPX files won't work with Chromebook or Windows 10S operating system.

Garmin Xpress is not in the Microsoft Store, so I can't update it.

We have Androids and the Geocache app works well on them, but we don't have unlimited data and I want to download caches with our WIFI for use later.

How can I do that?

I asked a FB group and they reply that they do that all the time.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, grammyjuju1 said:

We have Androids and the Geocache app works well on them, but we don't have unlimited data and I want to download caches with our WIFI for use later.

How can I do that?

Using the official app the only way is to be a Premium Member and create a bookmark list with caches you want to download: https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists

When you've created a bookmark and filled with caches you're interested in, go to your geocaching app -> Lists. Tap the "three dots" on the right and select "Download Offline Data".

You have to decide what option fits you. Being a premium member is something I recommend in the future, but for now it's probably not the most obvious choice.

Edited by Keystone
Reference to unauthorized app removed by moderator
On 12/7/2020 at 12:06 PM, grammyjuju1 said:

We have Androids and the Geocache app works well on them, but we don't have unlimited data

The data used by the geocaching app is minimal - I use my phone to geocache to find hundreds of caches a year, and rarely go over 1 GB of data per month, and that's including all the other stuff I do on my phone (email, Facebook, navigation, texting, etc).  Unless your data plan is extremely limited (less than 1GB per month) then the amount of data used by the geocaching app should not impact your bill.

On 12/7/2020 at 2:07 PM, sernikk said:

Using the official app the only way is to be a Premium Member and create a bookmark list

It doesn't accept Pocket Queries?  :o

If the OP is willing to consider another app, Locus Map Pro is the caching app I swear by.  It downloads PQs directly, after which you can go caching offline.  (It does online too.)  I cache in airplane mode to save battery, and use zero data - unless I need to go online quickly to load extra logs.  It has great maps too.

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

It doesn't accept Pocket Queries?  :o

I'm not a PQ fan, to be honest I don't like them at all so I haven't even thought about it, my bad.

As you've said, there is an other app to work around this problem, not the only one. I even wrote about a good way to handle this, but then half of my post got deleted by the mod, so it may look like I didn't even mention anything. So yeah. I hope the author finds himself here ;)

PQs that are less than 1 week old show up on the Geocaching.com app.  As do all lists.  I kinda wish there was a way to separate lists such that they did NOT show up on the app.

grammyjuju1 - you can download individual gpx files from cache pages.  You can attach your garmin to your computer, and download directly to it -> typically it's seen as  a Drive 

You want to put a gpx into -> Garmin -> Gpx. 

YOu  might want to delete the old gpx files you'll see there (?)

You can also download 20 loc files at a time from any search page.  Again, those will go directly into your Garmin.  Loc files have no type, no hint, no description.  they include, title, owner, size, DT, coords and GCcode only.  Tough way to hunt caches, but I used to do it. Take some notes on each cache and go get it.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Helpful 2

My first GPSr was an Etrex 10 and from the start I took out Premium Membership and GSAK. I would load the Etrex from GSAK after downloading Pocket Queries. That served me for some time until I upgraded to an Etrex 20 for the maps and additional memory for when I started caching in foreign countries. E.g. I had a two week vacation in Mexico and I could load every cache in Mexico into the Etrex 20. That was eight years ago and I'm  still using the Etrex. I have a smart phone, a Motorola G4, but prefer the Garmin - a personal choice not saying one is better than the other.