AL app battery usage

rragan

Feedback from a FB thread on battery usage. More comments are likely over there including some indication of user platform in use. Still, some attention to optimizing for battery usage in the future might be in order.

"I use the main hq app and I can run it all day long with only minor boosts from my in car charger. 40 caches later still at 80%. 
The AL lab nearly zeroed my phone in under 3 hours. With the AL app open, screen off, phone charging in the car charger for 20 minutes it didn't gain 2%. I finally closed the AL app and 20 minutes later I had gained 40%. The AL lab app definitely kills your battery.  Bad programming. I regularly run 4 apps (waze, life360, geocaching and Allstars, not to mention google) at the same time that are using the GPS and maps and don't have a problem ."

"AL apps poorly optimized I confirm it's eating battery like crazy"

"The AL app is _by far_ the worst battery eater I have on my phone. My phone (and its battery) is not the newest one, and playing AL depletes up to 50% of my battery within 1 hour! WIth "normal usage" during caching (GPS active, map is sometimes displayed, etc.), my phone lasts about 4 to 5 hours. I never go out caching without an external battery pack ;) .
And despite the high power use, the overall performance, e.g. when trying to zoom/scroll the map, is by far the worst of all map-displaying apps I have. Zooming the map becomes almost impossible, if a lot of ALs (40+) are displayed. OTOH, e.g. Google Maps is perfectly working even in city areas where hundreds of symbols appear on screen at the same time."

• Upvote 6

That app killed my wife's iPhone SE in under 2 hours. No other application did that, not even Wherigo with much more heavy usage while doing the cache. We weren't even able to complete two lab-caches in a row. What an embarrassment. Wouldn't recomment. None out of 5 stars. :cry:

battery.jpg

• Helpful 2