Leaked trackable codes

Dgwphotos

6 hours ago, Dgwphotos said:

Judging by this log, we've got another online database of trackable codes:
https://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LogReferenceCode=TL1BA9442

"Discovered while online searching."

That log has been deleted. I Really Dislike when codes are shared without the owner's permission. Sometimes people share other people's lists. Sometimes people use computer programs to find the codes. Very sad that people do that to add to their discovery total. I have seen a few Coins/codes shared online by their owners. I won't even log those as a discovery---only as a note and only  if it's a very awesome trackable. I delete bogus logs on my trackables, too.

When the other 2/3rds got "discovers" on her coins that were sitting in the closet for a few years now, it was a large group on faceboook.

Don't remember if it was a numbers generator, or someone hacking something.

I ask out loud now  "Are all those codes yours ?" at events, and nine times outta ten none of them are.  But they got the message.  :)

That's where it starts.  Simple, "harmless" sharing, and folks not understanding it's wrong...

My "conspiracy brain" wonders if somewhere out there, there is a black market for TB's where all the missing TB's not found in caches actually end up.

Picturing some boss of the Russian Mafia giving some person a tour of the secret trophy room in his mansion:

"... And here's the original master tape of Metallica's 'Kill Em All' album... Here are the Van Gogh and Dali paintings I had secretly replaced from the walls of the Louvre... and here is my collection of Geocaching trackables. That Climbed Mount Everest geocoin? I had to pry it from the cold dead fingers of Sir Edmund Hillary's grandson. Now it is in the hands of... me. MWAH HAH HAH ! "

:D

Edited by mysterion604
  • Funny 3
On 1/8/2021 at 5:58 PM, mysterion604 said:

My "conspiracy brain" wonders if somewhere out there, there is a black market for TB's where all the missing TB's not found in caches actually end up.

Picturing some boss of the Russian Mafia giving some person a tour of the secret trophy room in his mansion:

"... And here's the original master tape of Metallica's 'Kill Em All' album... Here are the Van Gogh and Dali paintings I had secretly replaced from the walls of the Louvre... and here is my collection of Geocaching trackables. That Climbed Mount Everest geocoin? I had to pry it from the cold dead fingers of Sir Edmund Hillary's grandson. Now it is in the hands of... me. MWAH HAH HAH ! "

That's not far off at all...    It'd be nice if the wiki for this odd hobby would show some of the odd things those around a while are familiar.

Not too many years ago, "discussions" with the site brought boxes of trackables back into play from just one hoarder.

One cache maggot that took mostly ammo cans and trackables inside, we were blamed for.  He started around the same time as us.

We were the ones who finally caught him, the shape of an ammo can in his pack.  Not one local ever apologized to us afterwards...

After another incident with us again involving game lands, he realized PA is too small and needed to move.    :D

Turned out he lived with mommy, and when the landlord  (also a geocacher...) did the final walk-around for their deposit, he found shelving with all the containers nice n neat, arranged by size, and all the trackables were hanging like awards/ribbons won at the fair.

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

There are reports of a user now contacting people asking if they want a list of TB codes they've collected. I haven't received it yet. But that may be related.

I'd probably accept the list and Not log the Coins. But, contact GC about who sent the list and contact the Coin owners and warn then that their Coins are on a list that's being shared.

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

There are reports of a user now contacting people asking if they want a list of TB codes they've collected. I haven't received it yet. But that may be related.

I'd accept.  That dummy's begging to get nailed.   :D

Unlike GeoCharmer81, I'd log a Discover on each one (a little at a time.  It's not a job...), telling the TOs the name of that knucklehead on the trackable's page for all to see.

- We rarely ever hear from cache or trackable owners , but unless they delete it (and I'm fine with that...), your message is there.  :)

On 1/18/2021 at 10:27 AM, thebruce0 said:

Someone from Groundspeak could contact the person posing as some random member and then proactively shut that stuff down.

Edited by mysterion604
  • Funny 1