Create geocache nickname and description

GOJim

I see this option is available in Lists.  I have actually edited a cache name (to add a detail to it) but the edit doesn't come through when downloading.  So what good is this feature if it only works online?  Another option would be to print the list after I've edited it but I see no way to print lists.  Thanks!

I use this feature  to sort a list.  Then I use the browser Print option to print it.

In Firefox click on the menu [a stack of 3 tiny horizontal lines] to the right end of the address bar.

Chrome uses 3 vertical dots for this menu.

The arrows to the left are also on the same line.

If the List is Public your friends/anyone can see the list  in my profile in Lists [ below Favorites].

I usually have a sorted List there and will probably have one  later today.

Note: These edits last as long as the List lasts. For me this is a week or two.

I do have some Private Lists that will last until I delete them. 

I have a Private List that hasn't be modified since May, 2018. 

I'm sure it has be used a number of times though.

The create date is not posted so not sure  what my oldest List would be.

If you need something longer HHL's idea might be what you want.

Edited by geo K
On 12/4/2020 at 9:19 PM, GOJim said:

but the edit doesn't come through when downloading

The edit will download when you download the cache by PQ or from the cache page itself. Bookmark Lists are kind of static (regarding the cache's name) and do not reflect the edit.

Edited by HHL
On 12/4/2020 at 12:19 PM, GOJim said:

I see this option is available in Lists.  I have actually edited a cache name (to add a detail to it) but the edit doesn't come through when downloading.  So what good is this feature if it only works online?  Another option would be to print the list after I've edited it but I see no way to print lists.  Thanks!

Lists can be a little confusing because they present themselves as a list of geocaches, but they're actually a list of *pointers* to geocaches. You aren't actually providing a nickname for the cache, you're naming each *pointer*. (I objected when they changed the term to "nickname" since I thought the original term, "title", better captured that you were specifying the list item's name, not a name for the cache.) But what the list holds is still the list of unmodified geocaches. The download command makes it sound like you're downloading the list, but you're actually only downloading the geocaches *in* the list, not the list itself, so the "nickname" and description have nothing to do with what you get in the download. I don't consider this a bug or anything. It can be confusing, but I suspect doing anything else would be even more confusing. Alas, though, this means that what you're trying to use the list for -- to make a list you can then sort after you've put it on your GPSr -- doesn't work.

To answer your question, the main reason I've edited the name is for lists listing caches that satisfy a challenge cache. New challenges are checked automatically with a checker, but in the olden days you had to prove you satisfied the challenge with a list of caches. In challenge lists, a prefix in the nickname can point out which part of the challenge is satisfied by this cache. So, for example, I might put "multi:" in the front of the cache name of a multicache that satisfies a challenge requirement to have different cache types. The idea is that makes it easy for the challenge owner to see that I've satisfied the challenge and which caches are meant to satisfy which parts, but in practice I've found it even more convenient for *me* to confirm I've satisfied the challenge -- or to see what I still need to look for in order to satisfy it. Since these are always caches I've already found, I never download the list, so it doesn't matter to me that the prefixes wouldn't be in the download.

• Upvote 1