Höhenangabe eines Caches (NN)

SchnuffelKbg

GC Little Helper II is showing the elevation above the sea level on every cache listing and for every waypoint. Sample how it looks like:

obraz.png.f7d35267f6b1f06a61f89fe9cabe1ca2.png

Download is available here:

The addon has also many other features and to be honest some of them are making the usage of the site a little harder, but you can always turn the addon off. Nevertheless iI recommend it ;) And remember that if you want to write in your native language you can find the proper section here: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/forum/51-geocaching-discussions-by-country/. In the rest of the forum try using english.

3 hours ago, sernikk said:

... some of them are making the usage of the site a little harder ...

Hmm ... if a feature is annoying, then you have almost always the option of turning them off. Every single feature can be switched on or off in the configurator of the GClh (F4 key on your keyboard or the corresponding link in your dashboard). It is certainly not the intention of the GClh making the usage of the site a little harder. But on the contrary. ?

12 minutes ago, 2Abendsegler said:

Hmm ... if a feature is annoying, then you have almost always the option of turning them off. Every single feature can be switched on or off in the configurator of the GClh (F4 key on your keyboard or the corresponding link in your dashboard). It is certainly not the intention of the GClh making the usage of the site a little harder. But on the contrary. ?

To be honest I meant it a little different, because the addon is great, but you have to configure it the way you like, which may not be so easy and fast for others (especially players who haven't ever used any). By the way, is the topic I linked also open for discussions and proposals?

I hope they don't add elevation data to the website as it's really only accurate on flat or gently sloping land. Many of the caches here are at vantage points on the edge of cliffs, at waterfalls or in deep gullies, as much of our landform is like that, but the spacial averaging applied to the digital elevation data on common mapping tools doesn't handle that very well. On the cache I did for my 1000th find, one of our group had checked the elevation on one such site, which put it at 70 metres, and led us along that contour toward GZ, but when we got there we were 20 metres too low and had to backtrack a fair way to find somewhere we could climb up. The cache is literally right on the edge of a cliff with the tidal river directly befow and it turned out if we'd stayed on top of the ridge we'd have gone straight to it. The actual elevation of the cache, using old-fashioned paper topographic maps which show the cliff rather than a smooth slope from the top down to the water, is more like 90 metres.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1

@sernikk

We don't have a special English speaking thread. Feel free to use the topic you linked in english.

You can also express your wishes and suggestions on our ticket and development platform. However, you need a user on GitHub for this.

@barefootjeff

Sure, the altitude information is only an approximation. The existing measured values are interpolated because there is not a measured value for every point. In the GClh we are currently using GeoNames for the altitude information.

9 minutes ago, 2Abendsegler said:

Sure, the altitude information is only an approximation. The existing measured values are interpolated because there is not a measured value for every point.

The old-fashioned way with maps drawn by cartographers rather than computers seemed to be able to handle steep terrain much better. The website's search map near one of my now-archived caches shows the sea as 50 metres above sea level.

image.png.ee83d02c7ad19e83557d3afd3083fdba.png