Favorites for cache logs

11 minutes ago, jimandjoanne said:

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but anyway,

Over the years I have come across some very fun, creative logs and I was wondering if we could have some way of recognizing them, kinda like on facebook a thumbs up or something.

As Hans says, 'Great Story' and 'Helpful' options are being trialled in Norway and Canada.  Here's an earlier thread...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jimandjoanne said:

Over the years I have come across some very fun, creative logs and I was wondering if we could have some way of recognizing them, kinda like on facebook a thumbs up or something.

As others said, this is being tested in certain countries.    :)

If threads are any indication, it doesn't seem most really like the idea,  so it'll probably be approved .

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 6
6 minutes ago, jimandjoanne said:

I was just looking for some way for the cache owner to show there appreciation for a creative log, not necessarily everyone getting to rate it. 

If you want to tell someone you liked their log, email works...   :)   We do that all the time.  

You said in your OP "...kinda like on facebook a thumbs up or something", and that is rating it.  

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 3
On 12/3/2020 at 10:54 AM, cerberus1 said:
On 12/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, jimandjoanne said:

I was just looking for some way for the cache owner to show there appreciation for a creative log, not necessarily everyone getting to rate it. 

If you want to tell someone you liked their log, email works...   :)   We do that all the time.  

+1 - if your intent is for the CO to show appreciation to the writer of a log, a message or email will do that.  It's happened to me (CO messages me with thanks for a helpful log or glad that I enjoyed their cache, etc.) and I, as a CO, have also contacted finders when I liked their write up.  It's a bonus when you meet each other at an event, and can talk about each others' caches in person (which hasn't happened in a loooooong time, and I miss the interaction).  

Back on topic - a personal note is more direct if you want to show appreciation to the finder who wrote the log.  Unless I go back to visit a previous find and read other logs, I'd have no way of knowing if the CO marked my log for "appreciation". 

• Helpful 1
On 12/4/2020 at 7:47 AM, jimandjoanne said:

Well I have read some of the other thread and I guess it's being looked at, not in the way I was thinking through. I was just looking for some way for the cache owner to show there appreciation for a creative log, not necessarily everyone getting to rate it. 

Please, no, then it becomes a personal thing.... "why didn't you give me a like on that log I put on your cache" and then they don't bother writing anything more than TFTC next time.  Basically it will become an additional task for every CO (who wants decent logs) to have to click like on every single log... until we then get another new feature: auto-like! lol

41 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Please, no, then it becomes a personal thing.... "why didn't you give me a like on that log I put on your cache" and then they don't bother writing anything more than TFTC next time.  Basically it will become an additional task for every CO (who wants decent logs) to have to click like on every single log... until we then get another new feature: auto-like! lol

I absolutely do not see this happening in Canada, where we have the feature.  It's rarely used.

But when it is used (in either direction), I really appreciate it.

• Upvote 3
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
36 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:
1 hour ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I absolutely do not see this happening in Canada, where we have the feature.  It's rarely used.

I'm in Canada and agree. It's rarely used and not really of much use. 

• Helpful 1
19 hours ago, RocTheCacheBox said:

Used to be people wrote creative and entertaining logs because - that's just what people did.

Now we're discussing whether or not to "reward" what used to be a normal part of the activity

Marking a log as "interesting" or "helpful" helps the log stand out to third parties reading the logs than it rewards the person who wrote the log.

• Upvote 1

I wish that Canada and Norway were using this feature more. I'd like to see it in use outside of those areas.

I own one Norwegian cache. I have voted for a few "Great story" logs. So far only one other vote has ever been cast for "Great story." And the log with a sole vote for "Most helpful" is, well, not so helpful.

Found with [other cacher] while taking a tour by private boat photo forthcoming

I don't get it.

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
On 12/8/2020 at 1:53 PM, L0ne.R said:

I'm in Canada and agree. It's rarely used and not really of much use. 

Except that just like @Viajero Perdido you didn't read the quote I was responding to.  The feature I said "Please, no" to, is NOT AT ALL what you have in Canada or Norway.

What I was responding to is this, below (bolding is mine):

On 12/4/2020 at 7:47 AM, jimandjoanne said:

Well I have read some of the other thread and I guess it's being looked at, not in the way I was thinking through. I was just looking for some way for the cache owner to show there appreciation for a creative log, not necessarily everyone getting to rate it

So yeah, please no, let's not have a like button just for the CO, so that every logger gets to feel like the cache owner does not appreciate their logs because the cache owner did not click like on it.

• Upvote 2
On 12/7/2020 at 1:47 PM, RocTheCacheBox said:

Now we're discussing whether or not to "reward" what used to be a normal part of the activity.

Well now we also have a very very much higher rate of uninformative, uninteresting, irrelevant, and indirectly insulting logs on geocaches in general (aka more noise than signal). 

On 12/7/2020 at 7:13 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

Ditto. I've used it a handful of times, usually if I remember if I'm reading logs and if I see one that stands out. I've scrolled to check out the ratings also a handful of times.  Since the feature was implemented.
Rarely used, but very appreciated when used.

On 12/17/2020 at 9:49 PM, Lynx Humble said:
On 12/17/2020 at 9:07 PM, BendSinister said:

(I desperately want what Norway and Canada have presently.)

Hum this feature isn't on the app so it's utterly useless when I am in the field looking at logs.

I never use this feature because it's website only.

It's also in Cachly.

It is odd that it's not in HQ's official app.

• Upvote 1