Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
Ramblin_Man

GPS Garmin GPSMAP 66S

I am considering buying a new GPS  Garmin GPSMAP66s.   Does anyone have any comments concerning this model.   I have a Montana650 and find the touch screen a pain to deal with.  I have an old Garmin 60 GSMAP 60C and found that the buttons were very useful. I could use the unit with one hand.   Both of my GPS are have issue with the power buttons wearing out.  

The promo say the 66s is good for paperless Geocaching.  Does this mean I can download the logs and cache info onto the unit much like the Montana.  Any comments appreciated

Yes, you can load geocaches to the GPSMAP 66 just like the Montana 6x0, but you can also load them directly to the GPSMAP 66 via GCLive, from any location, at any time. See more info about the GPSMAP 66 here.

I have the 66i (with InReach) and it's the first Garmin I trusted out of the box. I would previously carry my trusted 60c, 62S, 64S along as backup. Not with the 66! It does it all and then some.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Timpat said:

I have the 66i (with InReach) and it's the first Garmin I trusted out of the box. I would previously carry my trusted 60c, 62S, 64S along as backup. Not with the 66! It does it all and then some.

The GPSMAP 66i is essentially a GPSMAP 66s/st with additional inReach capabilities. If the user does not require or desire inReach services that require a subscription, the GPSMAP 66sr is a much more accurate and precise GPS receiver.

On 12/2/2020 at 8:53 AM, Ramblin_Man said:

I am considering buying a new GPS  Garmin GPSMAP66s.   Does anyone have any comments concerning this model. 

SAIL (in Canada) had the 66S as a Black Friday door crasher last weekend for $300 Cd. I didn't know I needed a new gps when I started the day, but I knew I had to have one. And when I got home, my wife sent me back to get one for her too.  Bought silicone bumper cases for them from Amazon, red for my wife's and black for me, so we can tell them apart.

I like it a lot. 

Like you, I also have Montanas though unlike you, I love the touchscreen on that. Happy to go with the 66 buttons though, as the touchscreen on my  eTrex Touch 35 is not great.

35 minutes ago, Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide said:

I also have Montanas though unlike you, I love the touchscreen on that. Happy to go with the 66 buttons though, as the touchscreen on my  eTrex Touch 35 is not great.

Sounds like you also have a pretty healthy collection of Garmin GPSr.

:D

On 12/5/2020 at 10:49 AM, Atlas Cached said:

Sounds like you also have a pretty healthy collection of Garmin GPSr.

:D

We have the following: 

• Nuvi 1450LM
  • Nuvi 780
  • DriveLuxe 50LMTHD
  • Nuvi 2597LMT
  • Monterra
  • 2X Montana 650
  • 2X eTrex Touch 35
  • 2X 66S

So yes, a pretty healthy collection indeed. The two Touch 35 units are gone now. Sold one, gave the other to my son.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

On 12/5/2020 at 9:18 AM, Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide said:

We have the following: 

Nice collection!

Edited by Atlas Cached

Has anyone noticed that the Trip Computer window allows you to reduce or increase the number of visible fields while you're in the screen by pressing the + or -,buttons? The lower text fields, ie the ones not in the Dashboard area, can go from 2 large fields to 8 small ones. This could be handy.

Seems like a bit of an Easter Egg.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide
  • Helpful 1

Not only that, but if it's anything like the Oregon 600/700, you can add multiple pages to the trip computer.

• Helpful 1

On 12/18/2020 at 6:18 AM, Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide said:

Has anyone noticed that the Trip Computer window allows you to reduce or increase the number of visible fields while you're in the screen by pressing the + or -,buttons? The lower text fields, ie the ones not in the Dashboard area, can go from 2 large fields to 8 small ones. This could be handy.

Seems like a bit of an Easter Egg.

So *that's* why my layout suddenly changed to something I don't want for no apparent reason: I must have put my GPSr in my pocket with the trip computer screen up and "-" got accidentally pushed. I couldn't find any control to change it back, and I've been stuck with it ever since. I couldn't find anything in the user interface that told me how to control that, and I never would have thought of typing "+". Thanks a lot for letting me know. Another 66 mystery solved!

• Upvote 1

So my 66S stopped syncing my activities in Garmin Connect recently. I tried everything to make it work again including contacting Product.support but after 5 days, I threw in the towel and did a factory reset. Unfortunately the reset does wipe everything out and go back to the new configuration, but at least it did fix the problem.