Found Cache - Not Listed Here

HWDean

15 minutes ago, HWDean said:

I found a cache that is not listed on geocaching.com.  What should I do about logging it?

Some caches will have final coordinates that differ from those listed on the site (e.g. where you need to follow clues or solve a puzzle), and others can be listed for Premium (i.e. paid-up) Members only.

(And geocaching.com is not the only listing site.)

Can you give us an idea of where you found the cache?

Edited by IceColdUK

It could be the final of a multi or mystery cache.

Post as many details about it as you can: coordinates where you found it, or a very good verbal description of the location (remember this is a global site, so start out with the general state/province, town, then narrow it down from there). Do you remember any names and dates on the paper log? Were there any indications of a cache name or code?

3 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Some caches will have final coordinates that differ from those listed on the site (e.g. where you need to follow clues or solve a puzzle), and others can be listed for Premium Members only.

Other possibilities include a cache listing that was archived (and is thus no longer searchable on the site), and a cache that was created but its listing couldn't be published for some reason (e.g., because it was too close to another cache) and the owner never retrieved the container.

To quote the Burger Palace Boys and the Pink Ladies from Grease, "Tell me more, tell me more."

1. It's a letterbox. Does it have a stamp? Put it back.

2. It's an archived cache.

3. It's a cache that hasn't been published yet.

4. It's a mystery/Wherigo/multi stage, which you won't find listed where you found it.

Send the coordinates to a reviewer, where you found it and if it has a log book, post names and dates from within. They can tell you what you've found, if it's a geocache.

Edited by fbingha
1 hour ago, HWDean said:

I found a cache that is not listed on geocaching.com.  What should I do about logging it?

It may be the case, that you have found a cache from other geocaching services like i.e. opencaching. But still if you don't know anything more, the best behaviour would be to sign the logbook, if it's present, and just put all back as it was.

This kind of situation is showing why putting the name of the cache or the unique code in the container is so important :bad:

Edited by sernikk
12 minutes ago, fraggle_[DE] said:

5... a cache that is not listed on geocaching.com

Right, that's so inconceivable as to not even be considered.

Sure, there are rumors of that, like Bigfoot, but then reality intervenes.

Edited by fbingha
  • Funny 2
5 minutes ago, Rampensau said:

6. A container of a similar, but different game than Geocaching.

What game would this be then? Opencaching has maybe 2000 caches listed in the US. Where I live in So Cal, there isn't a single cache listed for hundreds of miles. Within Los Angeles, there are less than 10 and when you look at those, well, no one is logging them. It barely survives, perhaps in other parts of the country/world it still matters.

• Funny 1

I have uploaded the image here. you can see the 2014 date. didn't occur to me to examine it. it was in plain site if your were looking down at the right time. the tin container was wrapped in a white plastic shopping bag and buried under some rocks in the open. the bag was very weathered with holes so i rewrapped it for better protection

Coordinates: N34.07418° W118.52903°

I bought premium membership so i have access to everything i guess

highres_493713410.jpg

• Helpful 2