"A Frog's Life" Letterbox J and M Box Hunters

RoaminGnomies

We were hiking in Milford, NH today and came across a cache we weren't expecting to find.  I quickly opened my app only to find no caches in the area.  Further, we can find no prior history.  The Cache says "A Frog's Life" letterbox by J and M Box Hunters from Nashua, NH.  I am going to resurrect this cache like a necromancer but I wanted to see if anybody had any information before I did.  Last find was in November of 2014 and it has been sitting idle ever since.  First find was on 4/10/2011.

That’s probably a stand alone letterbox which is a separate but kind of similar hobby. You use clues to find the box, and then you stamp the log and use their stamp to stamp your book. 

If they are not on the caching website, they probably aren’t hybrids (it’s not too common for letterboxes to be listed on geocaching.com anyway - ours are, though). There are 2 websites for them, but I don’t think I’m allowed to list them here. 

Thanks a bunch! The box itself was not on any of the Letterboxing sites we found, but we did find one of the people who had stamped the book many years ago to see if they knew anything about the original owner. Because of the state of the box, we took it home to prevent further damage and will go about either replacing it as it was (with a new waterproof container) or updating it as a cache (with the proper backstory) since it has been abandoned for so long.

Thanks so much!

22 hours ago, RoaminGnomies said:

We were hiking in Milford, NH today and came across a cache we weren't expecting to find.  I quickly opened my app only to find no caches in the area.  Further, we can find no prior history.  The Cache says "A Frog's Life" letterbox by J and M Box Hunters from Nashua, NH.  I am going to resurrect this cache like a necromancer but I wanted to see if anybody had any information before I did.  Last find was in November of 2014 and it has been sitting idle ever since.  First find was on 4/10/2011.

21 hours ago, RoaminGnomies said:

The box itself was not on any of the Letterboxing sites we found, but we did find one of the people who had stamped the book many years ago to see if they knew anything about the original owner. Because of the state of the box, we took it home to prevent further damage and will go about either replacing it as it was (with a new waterproof container) or updating it as a cache (with the proper backstory) since it has been abandoned for so long.

Curious why you'd think it's okay to take  and replace a container belonging to another hobby, and "updating" it for this one.  Thanks.  :)

Other LBs from that owner are still being found... 

We've found dozens of Letterboxes while Geocaching, and if we have a stamp with us that day, will ink ours in.

- We wouldn't take a container from it's spot if we didn't know for sure why it's there...  

We head to "lonely" caches, and some haven't been found in years (because of terrain mostly...). Many seek them out.

We'd use a standard NM log if they have issues.  Two of our caches are lucky to see a log a year...

Edited by cerberus1
addification...
  • Upvote 1