Best GPS for new geocachers?

jiklomiki83

I've recently started geocaching again after a hiatus of a few years, and I'm interested in getting a handheld GPS. I h 192.168.1.254ave a limited data plan on my phone, so the geocaching app isn't a great option for me. Because I'm new to this, I'm looking for a cheaper option that will also give me decent results. Thanks in advance for your advice! 10.0.0.0.1

Edited by jiklomiki83
On 11/28/2020 at 12:27 AM, jiklomiki83 said:

I have a limited data plan on my phone, so the geocaching app isn't a great option for me.

Some caching apps ("the" app is only one of several) work perfectly well offline.  Set it up in advance over WiFi or with a cable, just as you would with a GPS unit, then cache away in Airplane Mode.  Saves battery too.  Locus Map Pro excels at offline caching, "the" app does it reasonably well too.  I think Cachly is the iPhone choice if you don't have Android.

My old Garmins are on a quiet shelf performing a dust experiment.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 2
On 11/28/2020 at 2:27 AM, jiklomiki83 said:

I've recently started geocaching again after a hiatus of a few years, and I'm interested in getting a handheld GPS.

I have a limited data plan on my phone, so the geocaching app isn't a great option for me.

Because I'm new to this, I'm looking for a cheaper option that will also give me decent results. 

Curious, did you open a new account because you forgot your old name ?   

No cache history to tell, it's possible you could use an older model for now.  I'm still using a 15 year old GPSr...  

If you're not going to be caching on a regular basis,  maybe look for a relatively-new model within your range on sale.

Many outdoor companies online are doing the "black Friday until whenever"  thing, and some good GPS deals are out there.

- A few cachers here are trying Viajero Perdido's example, and seem to be good with that too.       :)