Kissmobile Sightings

I would like to hear what you think about opening Kissmobile Sightings a little bit more. 8 waymarks total, last waymark submitted in 2011, sounds not like fun. How can we keep the spirit of this category and open it a little bit more? What do you think if we just add some cool advertising cars in the spirit of the kissmobile? We could add 

Wienermobile - Wikipedia

15-ll_bean_bootmobile.jpg (800×500) (autocar.co.uk)

12-goldfish_cracker_car.jpg (800×500) (autocar.co.uk)

13-nutmobile.jpg (800×500) (autocar.co.uk)

We don't have these funny cars here in Europe, so I need infos from American people if these are rare or not. Please don't get me wrong, it's not about the icon, if we can reactivate a category why not? If just a few waymarkes have fun stumbling over one of these cars and enjoy creating a waymark -> Fantastic!

I had the same idea. There are other cool advertising cars in America and I really like your examples. How cool are they!? Here in Europe, the "coolest" advertising car I have ever seen was one of these. And no, I would not want these to be added to the category. I neither have the icon and will most likely never have it.

What I don't understand: If someone discovers a Kissmobile somewhere, they take photos and if there is no according waymark already, they create a new one. Understood. But how is such a waymark to be visited? If I go to that spot years later and of course the Kissmobile is no longer there, do I still take a photo of the empty space and log a visit? Or should a visit only be logged, if the Kissmobile is still there (best chances, if the Kissmobile is continiously standing there, like https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm7Z56)?

Edited to add: Another good source is https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/crazy-food-themed-cars.html/. Looking at it I was wondering: Should the advertising car have a mold that doesn't reveal what kind of car is under it? #2 on that page is just a VW Beetle with a big lobster on it.

Edited to add: A little off-topic, but don't miss to check out https://nextluxury.com/cars-rides/top-strange-cars/. Sooooo cool! :-)

Edited by PISA-caching

I would be open to this if the category name changes as well. Maybe "Mobile Advertisement Vehicle Sightings" or similar. In the US, I could think of the Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile. I've actually seen that vehicle before, (15 or so years ago, well before I started Waymarking). I've seen a ton of the Red Bull cars (at least here in the Los Angeles area), so maybe that would be too prevalent? I like the idea of opening the category up a bit.

The easiest way could be that we just add two or three cars (Wiener, nutmobile and Goldfish) which are still on the road and rename the category to "Kissmobile and Co. Sightings". In the category the four cars are explained. Visit logs make no sense. If another great car shows up in the future it's very easy to add a new one. 

3 hours ago, lumbricus said:

The easiest way could be that we just add two or three cars (Wiener, nutmobile and Goldfish) which are still on the road and rename the category to "Kissmobile and Co. Sightings". In the category the four cars are explained. Visit logs make no sense. If another great car shows up in the future it's very easy to add a new one. 

I would leave the Red Bull cars out - they are too plentiful.

• Upvote 1
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 1:06 PM, lumbricus said:

I agree, but why not include the cool Bootmobile you mentioned in the initial posting and maybe others, that we already know?

4 hours ago, wayfrog said:

However, if you want to visit it, the Kissmobile is still "On long-term loan from The Hershey Company and on Display Most Days"  at the Antique Auto Museum in Hershey, PA. It's already been WMed there by  Marine Biologist, as mentioned above by Andreas, the Pisa Cacher.

I like Andreas' suggestion of Crazy Food-Themed Cars You Might See in Traffic.

It includes several well known, even iconic, foods represented by their "mobiles", such as the Planters NUTmobileCadbury Creme Egg car and Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.

The Planters NUTmobile would be a good inclusion, and I see that you've already included the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.

Planters-Nutmobile.jpg

Edited by ScroogieII

Most of the waymarks will be (more or less) random sightings somewhere and there will be no chance to log a visit of that sighting, but like I said, there will be some of these mobiles on permanent display. That's why I think that we should at least have minimum visit instructions. Something like "Take a photo of the mobile in the same place or create a new waymark. A photo of an empty space, where somebody else once saw the mobile, will be no valid visit." (with a better English than mine). If we change the category description, why not prevent visits like https://www.Waymarking.com/logs/details.aspx?f=1&guid=98b2d81e-4a36-4172-a938-b29d12368a5f in the future?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
7 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Most of the waymarks will be (more or less) random sightings somewhere and there will be no chance to log a visit of that sighting, but like I said, there will be some of these mobiles on permanent display. That's why I think that we should at least have minimum visit instructions. Something like "Take a photo of the mobile in the same place or create a new waymark. A photo of an empty space, where somebody else once saw the mobile, will be no valid visit." (with a better English than mine). If we change the category description, why not prevent visits like https://www.Waymarking.com/logs/details.aspx?f=1&guid=98b2d81e-4a36-4172-a938-b29d12368a5f in the future?

Thanks for the addition, I added it.

• Helpful 1

Just curious - how do the sighting waymarks work?
Overall, the mapping features of the site could use an update. Which is fine.

But something that would be cool to see for "sightings" categories is something like we have on Geocaching.com where there is a item-specific map, like for trackables. 
That way the general Waymarking app isn't cluttered with sightings, which are temporary. Or it could be a toggle-able feature to show recent sightings as their own attribute. 

For example, I recently spotted the Planters Peanut Car at work, but it wouldn't really be appropriate to make it a waymark on its own as it wasn't permanently there. But I am still holding onto it in the hopes of being able to use it. It would be neat to see sightings of things like the peanutmobile, the weinermobile, and other corporate mascot vehicles which travel the US. 

14 hours ago, Wolfen32 said:

Overall, the mapping features of the site could use an update.

The "Waymarking.com Features & Functions" forum is full of ideas for improvements of the website. It's just that Groundspeak will not do it. My guess is, that they will either create it again with a new sourcecode, design and features or do nothing.

• Upvote 1
On 3/22/2021 at 5:44 AM, r.e.s.t.seekers said:

We had to visit Hershey and found all three Kissmobiles.  A brochure with one said that they no longer travel.  So they are visit-able, but very limited, to Hershey, PA. 

Have they been Waymarked AT their present location? If not, do it!!

Keith

14 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Have they been Waymarked AT their present location? If not, do it!!

Keith

Sort of.  Two Kissmobiles have switched locations.  The license plates of the Chocolate World and the auto Museum Kissmobiles show that they have been switched.  I added the third at the school, but ted was told that he couldn't add the old locations with the updated licence plates. 

Untitled.png.258e01b8e331963744e6e0de821607e0.png

Max and 99 are prophets, because this very thing just happened - we both visited the Wienermobile at the same site today. We knew about this discussion and (having discussed it ourselves) concluded that we could both post waymarks, and both should be accepted. However, mine was declined as a duplicate waymark. I will re submit with a link to this thread and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

Untitled.png.258e01b8e331963744e6e0de821607e0.png

Max and 99 are prophets, because this very thing just happened - we both visited the Wienermobile at the same site today. We knew about this discussion and (having discussed it ourselves) concluded that we could both post waymarks, and both should be accepted. However, mine was declined as a duplicate waymark. I will re submit with a link to this thread and see what happens.

In the words of Adrian Monk, here's what happened:

I'm browsing waymarks, and see a new Wienermobile waymark in Oklahoma, where I was JUST was, at a Homeland, where I was just at. Drats. I missed it by that much! So I look up the Wienermobile tour, and what????? It's in Yukon today! I yell to Max, "Do you have time for a trip to Yukon". Yes! I grab my coat and we're out the door. As soon as I leave the driveway, I text Snowdog to let him know of this opportunity. Turns out he was there hours earlier, and about to submit the waymark. He was kind enough to wait until I was ready, then we both submitted our waymarks.

I remember this thread very well, and knew that we could both waymark the Wienermobile, which is why we didn't turn around, just continued driving to Yukon.

It was so much fun to visit. I got a Wiener Whistle, took lots of pics, and even posed with the Wienermobile. I asked questions, and had a nice talk with the driver. Sure wish I could have stepped inside the Wienermobile! So cool. They're always hiring.

• Love 1

Max&99 I didn’t know you were in OKC or I would have sent to an email too! 

I’m the one who pinged the snowdog - glad y’all went to Yukon! 

I’m so glad to see this category got expanded - it’s so much fun! I’m back Waymarking after taking 2 years off to pandemic and get kids through virtual high school and community college, then out of the house to their respective colleges