Caches on map not loading

Kingofgame73

I've seen this as well, and it's frustrating - especially since I'm starting to rely more on my phone these days.

I wonder if it's a traffic issue. I normally don't have this come up during the week, usually only a Saturday or Sunday.

I know it's not a reception problem on my end, because the map loads just fine.

What's really odd is that searching for a particular cache (say, by looking up the GC code, or by clicking a coord.info link in the browser and letting it open up in the app) will make just that one cache appear on the map.

Edited by hzoi
On 2/14/2021 at 12:34 PM, stormcrow50 said:

While this happens on my phone i go to Filters, call up geocache types hit apply and then the next screen also has an apply bar, I hit this and all caches appear

I've had this problem a handful of times as well, and the best solution I've come up with is just to clear data for the Geocaching app in settings. The only inconvenience that results is that I have to log back into the app afterwards, but that's a relatively minor issue. This other solution looks promising, though, and a little quicker. I'll have to check it out.

I'm also having this problem, no caches showing on the map when I know there are plenty all around me. I can even see one in front of me. I've tried re-applying the filters to no effect. I could mess about restarting the phone every time I want to find a cache or uninstall and reinstall but being lazy I just use GeoohGo instead, which shows all the caches all the time. Hopefully GC.com will fix the app soon but until then if it doesn't do the basics it's pretty much useless despite all the new features they're adding. 

• Love 1

Retrieving data to Geocaching app has been sluggish occasionally before but I would say that it is normal. But recently (some weeks) I have encountered almost daily situations where OSM map is loading properly but no caches appear in minutes. Tricks like rebooting, zooming in/out, moving map etc may help or may not. At some point of the time the caches appear again. Somewhat odd part is that at the same time GCDroid loads all caches properly without any notable delay. So the problem relates to Geocaching app. My phone is OnePlus 5t running Android 10 but this specific phone has been running Geocaching app properly already years.

There is an active discussion about  this topic going on in local Finnish geocaching forum. It looks that many people have encountered same issue. Some are already really frustrated. So I hope that HQ pays attention to the issue asap. Please at least notify that the issue is recognized!

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
On 12/9/2020 at 9:51 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Occasionally this happens to me, and it's usually due to low signal.  A few things you might try if this doesn't seem to be the issue:

• Log out of the app and then log in again
  • Restart the phone
  • Check to see that you are using the latest version of the app
  • Uninstall and reinstall the app

My phone randomly decided to not load caches. I had restarted my phone, and nothing. So I figured I'd come on that forum to pock around a bit. Your suggestion on logging out and signing back in again worked. Thank you.

On 12/10/2020 at 4:51 AM, CAVinoGal said:

Occasionally this happens to me, and it's usually due to low signal.  A few things you might try if this doesn't seem to be the issue:

• Log out of the app and then log in again
  • Restart the phone
  • Check to see that you are using the latest version of the app
  • Uninstall and reinstall the app

Thanks CAVinoGal, this worked for me. Since new year I feel like the app is bugging more and more... I hope HQ notices this and looking at the problem, because I think HQs app is very good. Hope to keep it as my cache-app.

I cannot get any caches at all on my app tonight. Nothing. I checked my filters over and over and over again. The reset isn't clickable, but all the filters look just fine to include everything. I'm presuming that the reset isn't clickable because everything is already at the default setting. Still no caches. 

Edited by Max and 99

When I first installed the app, things looked great. But lately the app has not shown any caches on the map. Very frustrating. Got so frustrated this morning that I uninstalled the app for it is useless without showing caches Just hope the developers are doing something about this. In the meantime I'll return to using that other well known app - it has always worked.

• Love 1