Utah Metal Monolith

SwineFlew

32 minutes ago, SwineFlew said:

Anyone of you guys planning to put a cache or virtual cache at this location? 

For those that haven't been following the news, here's the information about it: here

I believe I found the location... 38.343080,-109.666134

Why do you believe those coordinates are the ones? (Did you fly over there and place it yourself?)

53 minutes ago, K13 said:

Why do you believe those coordinates are the ones? (Did you fly over there and place it yourself?)

Its clearly visible on Google Earth.  I don't understand why somebody implied that going there would get one put in jail ("sent to the pokey").  I don't believe it is on private land.  It looks to be about a half-mile from a road.  Would make an excellent virtual, IMO.

• Upvote 3

One thing that is known is that without authorization, it is illegal to install structures or art on federally managed public lands, according to Utah’s department of public safety (DPS). This is true, “no matter what planet you’re from”, the agency said in a statement.

The agency said it does not plan to reveal is the exact location of the object. “It is in a very remote area and if individuals were to attempt to visit the area, there is a significant possibility they may become stranded and require rescue,” DPS said.

Just now, Max and 99 said:

One thing that is known is that without authorization, it is illegal to install structures or art on federally managed public lands, according to Utah’s department of public safety (DPS). This is true, “no matter what planet you’re from”, the agency said in a statement.

The agency said it does not plan to reveal is the exact location of the object. “It is in a very remote area and if individuals were to attempt to visit the area, there is a significant possibility they may become stranded and require rescue,” DPS said.

The first sentence says nothing about visiting the spot.  Please re-read it.

The second statement warns that reaching the spot may be dangerous.  Says nothing about the legality of going there.

Nothing above supports your contention that placing a virtual there would land one "in the pokey."  Please don't post misinformation.

• Upvote 7
  • Helpful 2
10 minutes ago, fizzymagic said:

The first sentence says nothing about visiting the spot.  Please re-read it.

The second statement warns that reaching the spot may be dangerous.  Says nothing about the legality of going there.

Nothing above supports your contention that placing a virtual there would land one "in the pokey."  Please don't post misinformation.

I did not post misinformation. Please re-read it. 

13 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I did not post misinformation. Please re-read it. 

I rarely agree with fizzy and this time I do.  Driving on the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route isn't illegal last I know. 

When the government doesn't tell us the location,  it get too too many people involved to find the location.  If I have a friend with the correct equipment to drive on those roads, I would do it.  The government doesn't want people with the wrong 4x4 to go back there.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, SwineFlew said:

I rarely agree with fizzy and this time I do.  Driving on the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route isn't illegal last I know. 

When the government doesn't tell us the location,  it get too too many people involved to find the location.  If I have a friend with the correct equipment to drive on those roads, I would do it.  The government doesn't want people with the wrong 4x4 to go back there.  

Correct. But the sculpture was illegally placed and therefore I do not think a geocache should be placed on it. You have to get permission first and the authorities clearly don't want you there. 

Reminds me of the virtual cache on I-80, and there's a fair chance you'll get a ticket for pulling over to visit it. Until of course they build the huge visitor Center that the sculptor wants so people can visit it without getting tickets. 

50 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Correct. But the sculpture was illegally placed and therefore I do not think a geocache should be placed on it. You have to get permission first and the authorities clearly don't want you there. 

Reminds me of the virtual cache on I-80, and there's a fair chance you'll get a ticket for pulling over to visit it. Until of course they build the huge visitor Center that the sculptor wants so people can visit it without getting tickets. 

To claim a "Found IT" for this virtual please include photo of citation with your answers.:lol:

• Funny 2

What a bunch of bunk!

Ignore the nay sayers if the cache is on public land place a cache nearby or a virtual what ever. Go for it. No rules or laws against it. If the state of Utah changes its mind and prohibits visiting the site now you have a problem. I remember awhile ago seeing a cache 100ft or so into Mexico access is from the US and you have to cross through a barbwire fence to get to it. Now that I say is a problem. This not.

If they remove it, now you have a story and it will still be a destination for some.

18 minutes ago, arisoft said:

I don't think this is the correct place, because it doesn't match this footage, or there is more than one monolith.  

Check again.  :) btw, it been there for 5 years and people been talking about it on reddit for years. 

Edited by SwineFlew
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

would love to know about this cace, info?

12 hours ago, SwineFlew said:

Check again.  :) btw, it been there for 5 years and people been talking about it on reddit for years. 

Doing some further reading, this is a new find this year, so if it's been discussed for years then that must relate to another monolith.  Also it's described as being "remote" with the possibility of people getting lost.  IMO a half mile from a road isn't remote enough, but then I may be giving people too much credit.  About 4 km NNW of the shadow item, farther up the road, is a cache (GC346TX).

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, The Jester said:

Doing some further reading, this is a new find this year, so if it's been discussed for years then that must relate to another monolith.  Also it's described as being "remote" with the possibility of people getting lost.  IMO a half mile from a road isn't remote enough, but then I may be giving people too much credit.  About 4 km NNW of the shadow item, farther up the road, is a cache (GC346TX).

It was newly found, but examinations of aerial imagery from previous years shows it popped up sometime between August 2015 and October 2016: https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/24/21656223/mysterious-utah-monolith-osint-google-earth-tracking

• Helpful 3
3 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

It was newly found, but examinations of aerial imagery from previous years shows it popped up sometime between August 2015 and October 2016: https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/24/21656223/mysterious-utah-monolith-osint-google-earth-tracking

There are two different locations shown in pictures in that article, one the open canyon object I spotted (not at all like the news clip site) and what might be the "new" object (but it still doesn't appear to be an alcove like the news clip).  But even that article talks about people recently tracking where it is - not being discussed for 5 years.  There may be multiple items scattered around - placed by the same or different people - who knows?

These objects appear every once in a while.  Seattle had one show up January 1, 2001 in Magnuson Park (vanished a couple of days later and reappeared on Duck Island in Green Lake).  

5 hours ago, The Jester said:

To get there required some serious offroad vehicle and its remote enough if you get stuck out there with the wrong vehicle.  Most guys that go back there are with a group of offroad vehicles for a good reason. 

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

This gang managed to find and visit it. About a 5 minute heli flight for them. Already being visited by folks who've got the coordinates. It's not going to remain relatively hidden (or in good, nice shape) for much longer... 

You are right, the public are making plans to see it. I looked up the area with google earth and those dirt roads are rough.  The government should have just ignore it and move on. 

39 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

They make it sound like Reddit were the only people who knew about it or did any work on it. I think the author is a reddit user.

Sad that it's gone though. Or maybe it's good. Hard to tell. It is what it is. And it's gone. Fun while it lasted! :P

Since it seems that the "artist" leaves these things after his photo shoot, there would be other such abandoned selfie monuments still out there.  So the fun continues.

News just posted:

Now a mysterious Arthur C Clarke-style monolith appears in ROMANIA after unexplained metal vanished from Utah – so who (or what) put it there?

• Mysterious metal monolith has appeared in northern Romania after another vanished from the desert in Utah
  • The shiny triangular pillar was found on Batcas Doamnei Hill in the city of Piatra Neamt last Thursday
  • One side of the structure, which is 13 feet tall, faces Mount Ceahlau, known locally as the Holy Mountain
  • A mysterious metal monolith has appeared in Romania this week after another similar structure found in the remote Utah desert was removed by an 'unknown party'. 

The shiny triangular pillar was found on Batca Doamnei Hill in the city of Piatra Neamt in northern Romania last Thursday.

It was spotted a few metres away from the well-known archaeological landmark the Petrodava Dacian Fortress, an fort built by the ancient Dacian people between 82 BC and AD 106. 

A mysterious metal monolith has appeared in Romania this week after another similar structure found in the remote Utah desert was removed by an 'unknown party'. 

The shiny triangular pillar was found on Batca Doamnei Hill in the city of Piatra Neamt in northern Romania last Thursday.

It was spotted a few metres away from the well-known archaeological landmark the Petrodava Dacian Fortress, an fort built by the ancient Dacian people between 82 BC and AD 106. 

• https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9001495/Now-mysterious-Arthur-C-Clarke-style-monolith-appears-ROMANIA-vanished-Utah.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR0QmaHle-MGBBbEXqP0X7v-RAQyEtlwUdz9OtZ35mEHPhm0MLRYCWSdcEg

On 11/25/2020 at 12:20 PM, lee737 said:

I was going to ask whose gadget cache it was....

Nightmare of eache D5 Cacheowner: Spoilered at eache newspaper, before puplished at GS. Hope the owner dont't give up;).

I like such monumental monolith gadget caches. Is there a bookmark list?
That one is next to me and was a nice experiance.

Greetings Johannis10

Edited by Johannis10
  • Funny 1