What is a Awesome Cache that you have Seen?

Since i made o Topic about (How do i get FP) and i got a lot of info i just wanted to see what was you most Awesome cache you have seen?

also i just want to get info to see if i can Make a Epic Cache!

You see i think that i want to make a vary awesome cache! i want it to be like a bird house that could maybe have some way to open it like a key or a Lock.

Plz Send Info so that i can make a cache kinda like it but plz do not say like hide a container in the woods.

42 minutes ago, BabyYodaGeocaches said:

Plz Send Info so that i can make a cache kinda like it but plz do not say like hide a container in the woods.

That's too bad...You see, many we know feel the container is secondary to the awesome spot we're hopefully sent to.  :)

I feel an expensive container, gadget, or bird house is mediocre if simply left along a park trail.  

- But a simple lock n lock at an awesome view, or unique area/structure will probably get a FP. 

I feel you may be centering more on a container than where you're going to place it.

We find a fun or unique spot, then decide what we're going to put there.  :)

We started when the idea was "the language of location", and to us, that's worth more than any container...  

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, BabyYodaGeocaches said:

Since i made o Topic about (How do i get FP) and i got a lot of info i just wanted to see what was you most Awesome cache you have seen?

also i just want to get info to see if i can Make a Epic Cache!

You see i think that i want to make a vary awesome cache! i want it to be like a bird house that could maybe have some way to open it like a key or a Lock.

You may want to read the October 26 thread called Favorite Caches. 

A couple of proverbs come to mind: there's no such thing as a free lunch and you get nothing for nothing and very little for sixpence. In my experience, most of the really awesome caches have taken an enormous amount of thought, time and effort by the CO to create them. A truly awesome cache isn't something you can just slap together in an afternoon, expect to take months planning it, scouting out locations that dovetail with the cache's theme (actually for the really good ones, the location inspires the cache rather than the other way around), working out the intricacies, obtaining the materials, getting whatever permission is needed to place the container, creating the cache page that complements the cache and its theme including all the technicalities of language style, layout, appropriate images, etc.

As an example, take a look at this now archived cache GC4YQGQ. Read the description and the logs to get a taste, but really it was one you had to experience, with a heap of clever technology moulded into and complementing the spooky location. I'm sure that one would have been the best part of a year in the making.

1 hour ago, BabyYodaGeocaches said:

i want it to be like a bird house that could maybe have some way to open it like a key or a Lock.

Go to YouTube and search for "WVTim Gadget Caches" or just the "gadgetcaches" channel, which has more than 10,000 subscribers.  It will give you some ideas, and if nobody else in your area has copied the ideas shown in these videos, you'll be hailed as an evil genius.

People travel from far and wide to visit WVTim's gadget cache trail in Berkeley County, West Virginia.  I took a roadtrip last month that included a day and a half there, and barely scratched the surface.  These caches have hundreds of favorite points, each.

Edit to add: the secret to getting this type of cache published is having permission from the landowner.  As a reviewer I regularly see submissions that copy something that WVTim did.  I have to ask "who gave you permission to drive a 4x4 post into the ground to hold the birdhouse?" or "who gave you permission to mount this box permanently on [object]?"

Edited by Keystone
  • Helpful 1

One of my favorites was a night cache. The posted coordinates took you to a location near parking and a trailhead. From there, we followed a reflector trail to the second stage. The second stage was in a tree, and included part of a physical puzzle and the coordinates for the third stage. At the third stage, we found the coordinates underneath a bench, written in fluorescent ink/paint that was visible only with a UV flashlight. Those coordinates took us to a location where we could shine our flashlights up and spot a reflector on a loop of monofilament line that ran between two pulleys; we had to find the other end of the loop to retrieve the reflector, which had the next set of coordinates on it. That stage had the other half of the physical puzzle, which we solved to get the next coordinates. And so on. A couple hours after we started, we reached a footbridge where the final cache (an ammo can) was located.

That one was hard to do in the summer because the park closed at 10pm, and with daylight saving time and long summer days, it didn't really get dark enough to start until 9pm or so. An hour just wasn't enough time to complete the whole thing (not to mention getting back to parking, returning the part of the physical puzzle to the second stage on the way).

Unfortunately, vandals kept trashing stages of that one, and the owner had to archive it.

For finds I've done, one awesome cache was a Virtual atop the tallest peak in Texas. A great 8+ mile hike up (then down) with my son. Another was just a small tupperware container under a rock ledge not far from the Mexico border - another cache with awesome views. One was an ammo can about 60 feet up a tree that required my first ever time using an Ascender/Descender to get up and down - I was exhausted when that one was done. Another one was a WVTim cache that was at GeoWoodstock.

I own a cache that has received a goodly number of Favorite Points (and a lot more "AWESOME CACHE" logs) that is "just a micro in a cemetery". Another is a 2 foot long wooden caboose I built and have deployed at an old train depot building now used as a Visitor Center.

I have never given a Favorite Point to a cache that had lots of errors or misspelled words on the cache page. Several of my caching friends are former educators, and feel the same way. You should work on that, maybe get a Mommy Yoda or Daddy Yoda to proofread your work.

Go out and find lots of caches that have high Favorite Points on them. You can then have a good idea on what to do for your hides.

• Funny 1

One of my favorites is a true 5/5 cache with a complicated puzzle, that got us wading the Potomac River to an island (river current too difficult with boats to go upstream) carrying a bottle jack, electrical equipment and a bunch of other stuff.

We were early finders, July 2010, and didn't put pictures of the container up, but we did use the bottle jack and electrical stuff we brought.  An ultimate gadget cache combined with a puzzle and 5 terrain.

Plus, we got to wade back across the Potomac River at night.

A grand adventure with a great story came out of it; hard to ask anything more of a geocache!

PMCx - Listening Post GC1V3NZ

The cache was one in a series of true 5/5 caches in Pa, Md, NJ, NY and Connecticut, with the bonus cache in central NY...  A group of extreme cachers worked together on this PMCx series, and all of us had a great time completing it.