Log it

mistyceaton

When I tap "log it" I've just been putting Thank you, or something like that. I there a format, or something that I should be putting instead? One I found today the log paper was too wet to sign. I had already done the "found it" note, but did go back in and put another note stating that the log paper was too wet.

1 hour ago, mistyceaton said:

When I tap "log it" I've just been putting Thank you, or something like that. I there a format, or something that I should be putting instead?

Reading previous finders' logs can give you an idea of what people write.  Some log a simple "Thanks for the Cache" or TFTC.  Others, like me, prefer to elaborate a bit more, sometimes a lot more.  That's easier to do on a computer, and using the full website, geocaching.com.  I use the phone or my GPS to log a draft, with a couple of quick notes (squirrels!, broken lid, slipped in the mud, etc - to help me remember that particular cache), then elaborate and actually post the log when I get home and have a chance to write (what I consider) a decent log.

Welcome to the hobby!

• Upvote 3
13 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Reading previous finders' logs can give you an idea of what people write.  Some log a simple "Thanks for the Cache" or TFTC.  Others, like me, prefer to elaborate a bit more, sometimes a lot more.  That's easier to do on a computer, and using the full website, geocaching.com.  I use the phone or my GPS to log a draft, with a couple of quick notes (squirrels!, broken lid, slipped in the mud, etc - to help me remember that particular cache), then elaborate and actually post the log when I get home and have a chance to write (what I consider) a decent log.

Welcome to the hobby!

Thank you, how do you write a log after you get home? I use my pc as home too, and would much rather use it to write my logs.

29 minutes ago, mistyceaton said:

Thank you, how do you write a log after you get home? I use my pc as home too, and would much rather use it to write my logs.

I have a tab which takes me here. Then I click on the cache I want and write my log. You will want to adjust that to your part of the world.

https://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=-35.331817&lng=149.152183#?ll=-35.331817,149.152183&z=14

Here is another tab I have. I can add the GC number to that one to bring up the cache.

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, mistyceaton said:

If you’re using the official App, when you click Log / Found It (or DNF, etc.) you have the option of logging as a Draft.  Like CAVinoGal, I just jot down a couple of words - enough to remember the cache.

Back on your PC, on your Dashboard (https://www.geocaching.com/account/dashboard), you’ll see the Drafts option on the left-hand side.  This will list all of those draft logs; you can then go through them one by one, elaborating as you go, before submitting.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Many cachers like to write a full log on their PC when they get home. Some will log a Found It on the app and write "Full log to follow" i.e. when they get home.

As a CO I find this to be a little "Irk" because  I will be notified of the find "Full log to follow" but not the full log done later, by way of an Edit. In this case I would prefer a Write Note be done on the app. otherwise I have to remember which cache to go looking for for the Found It edit to be able to read the final/full log because I would not receive any notification of the Edit.

Edited by colleda
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
57 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

I think project-gc allows this option - certainly does with photos added and so on. But Groundspeak don't.

Thanks for that. We know Groundspeak doesn't.   :)   

Shame they didn't mention that they aren't staying within the site when making the statement in Getting Started 

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

I think project-gc allows this option - certainly does with photos added and so on. But Groundspeak don't.

That is very sad indeed, but I understand that the reason for that is in the design of the older website version, where photos were added after the log was posted, so there is no way that the notification on e-mail can know that there is a photo uploaded at the moment it was sent (because of course the new look is only an overlay).

6 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Nowhere.  I typed that COMPLETELY in reverse!  Should have read "are NOT also notified".  I would love to see followup logs.

As mentioned above, you CAN if you are a paying member of Project GC; it's a notification.  I've signed up for emails when a log is changed or a photo is added.  It doesn't happen often on my low # of hides, but it is nice to get notified when changes are made.

Edited by CAVinoGal
Spelling corrections
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Nowhere.  I typed that COMPLETELY in reverse!  Should have read "are NOT also notified".  I would love to see followup logs.

We got used to reading logs on the cache pages (even when more were in play) every once-in-a-while anyway, so never had an issue.

We'd notice photos more than much editing (spelling errors mostly). Didn't mind that either, since we add photos only when all logs are done too.

Sometimes one of those word-length people would "add" after their initial log.  We took that as they even thought it was odd.  :D

10 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

As mentioned above, you CAN if you are a paying member of Project GC; it's a notification.  I've signed up for emails when a log is changed or a photo is added.  It doesn't happen often on my low # of hides, but it is nice to get notified when changes are made.

The photo feature certainly helped me pick out a couple of really poor spoiler pics that I was able to delete.