How to make a cool geocache container ?

33Nibbles33

It depends on the tools you currently have available.

A simple pill bottle can go from meh to wow with a bit of paint and some stickers. I've seen lock-and-locks which have been added onto the back of a large doll / action figure with a pair of cable ties so it looks like the cache container is the figure's backpack. I heard of an ammo box near a race track that had some jar lids screwed to the sides and painted like a race car.

If you want to get fancy, you might be able to make some fun outer containers with some sheet metal if you can afford a hand drill, a pop rivet gun and there is a scrap metal yard or factory near you where you can get free sheet metal. If you can afford a hand saw, a hammer and a box of nails then there are loads of possible things you can make out of discarded pallets.

5 hours ago, 33Nibbles33 said:

Yes I have but I can’t get the pictures to load on it for some reason

Pictures that were hosted off-site are no longer available after the old site stops hosting the pictures.  Scroll to newer posts to see some pictures.  If they're my posts and you can't see a picture, let me know.  I may have another picture.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:19 PM, 33Nibbles33 said:

Any ideas on how to create a cool geocache container without a hot glue gun ?

Hot glue gun is not so efficient in my opinion, because it's not temperature resistant. It's much better to use mounting glues.

Edited by sernikk
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, sernikk said:

Hot glue gun is not so efficient in my opinion. It's not temperature resistant. It is much better to use mounting glues.

The only thing I use hot glue for, when making a cache container, is to tack pieces in place for ease of assembly, then I use whatever real adhesive is needed (some sealant requires a couple of weeks to cure).  If it melts with heat (such as "hot glue"), I can't use it in my caches here in Georgia.  I've tried ordinary craft "hot glue", and it becomes a spongy rubber glob after a while outdoors, no longer stuck to anything.  But there are many kinds of "hot glue", so if the question is whether a cheap glue that is on hand will work, and if folks disbelieve others who tried it already, go ahead and try it.  :cute:

I've had some luck with construction adhesive (in addition to mechanical attachment), but it's expensive, and comes in a big tube that you'll need to use up all at once.  Most of the time I use some kind of mechanical attachment such as wraps of velcro on a small tube, or bolts on larger containers, along with some kind of epoxy or sealant.  You can't "glue" anything to the slick slick plastic of the usual cache containers and expect it to stay in place, unless it's just a decoration.  And even then, finders have surprised me at how quickly and easily they break things off a container.  :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Keep your eyes open at thrift shops, flea markets, garage sales, craft stores, etc. for objects that could be converted into a container. Gluing a bison tube (with 
E6000) into an existing object is an easy way to make a creative cache. With a Dremel tool, you can be more creative.

• Funny 1