Day 1 found 2 of 3

mistyceaton

My brother has been raving about geo caching for a couple years. I almost went with him one time, but for one reason or another I couldn't make it. Well, yesterday I decided to head out for myself. I downloaded the app the other day. The first one I went to, I couldn't find. I decided to give it one more go. I was just about to give up on the second one, when I noticed the "hint" button. I found it! I got such a thrill, I decided to look for one more. Again, thanks to the "hint" button, I was able to find it. So much fun!

What are cache events? and what is a CITO event? I saw them mentioned in another post

20201122_110916.jpg

20201122_124736.jpg

Due to COVID, event caches are in short supply right now depending upon where you live.  Seems like each county has its own threshold and move up and down all the time.  Once we get over this, you'll start to see them pop up again.  You will see them on the search map as little white bubbles with red horizontal lines.

• Upvote 1

Anything you're not sure of, feel free to ask. You may get more appropriate and / or faster replies if you join a local group on Facebook or other social media. Though I'm sure your Brother would love to go out on a caching trip with you now that you're interested and would probably talk your ear off with advice and hints if you don't live near each other. Welcome!

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

Anything you're not sure of, feel free to ask. You may get more appropriate and / or faster replies if you join a local group on Facebook or other social media. Though I'm sure your Brother would love to go out on a caching trip with you now that you're interested and would probably talk your ear off with advice and hints if you don't live near each other. Welcome!

I did have to enlist his help this morning, after I wrestled my way through very thick over growth of thorns. He helped me find the cache that was not at all located in the over growth and thorns. I found 4 today, even the one I couldn't find the other day!

5 hours ago, mistyceaton said:

I did have to enlist his help this morning, after I wrestled my way through very thick over growth of thorns. He helped me find the cache that was not at all located in the over growth and thorns.

Been there, done that, got the (torn up) T-shirt. One in particular was hidden at the base of a tree next to a patch of thorny bushes. I followed the arrow to the thicket, set my things down, and ventured in. After I'd had enough of the thorny bushes, I came back out and discovered that my device had settled down and was now reporting GZ as within a few feet of where I set it down. I picked it up, picked up my other things, and there was the cache.

I've done that a few times... setting my stuff down at "ground zero", expanding my search, giving up, and then finding my stuff sitting on top of (or right next to) the cache.

Anyway, welcome to the addiction geocaching!

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, mistyceaton said:

I did have to enlist his help this morning, after I wrestled my way through very thick over growth of thorns. He helped me find the cache that was not at all located in the over growth and thorns. I found 4 today, even the one I couldn't find the other day!

We did that, for our very first find. You're supposed to go directly where the arrow points you, right? Nope! There was a nice trail that wrapped around the area, and taking that would have been a much easier access route (which we figured out on the way out).  There's a learning curve!

• Upvote 1
On 11/23/2020 at 5:46 PM, niraD said:

I've done that a few times... setting my stuff down at "ground zero", expanding my search, giving up, and then finding my stuff sitting on top of (or right next to) the cache.

Anyway, welcome to the addiction geocaching!

Same for me.   Just recently went out to find a cache I'd DNFed twice.  Stepped over it 2 or 3 time before my caching partner found it.  

Anyway Welcome

• Upvote 2