Louisiana hydrocaches...

Guest ClayJar

Guest ClayJar

Okay, there are now five hydrocaches (caches for which a boat is a requirement) in Louisiana:

Of the five, Whiskey Chitto Cache is the oldest, and it is also the oldest virgin cache in Louisiana. Ferengi Wormhole is the second oldest virgin cache in Louisiana. (Since Halfling's been out less than a week, I won't count it.)

So, that leaves two virgin caches in LA, both of which are water-bound. I guess that shows that they're a bit less routine than your normal caches (well, at least a bit less convenient). Anyway, just because something's not routine or convenient doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done... so... I now have in my posession a laminated cache page for WC.

I'm not exactly sure when I'll be able to get over there to attempt it (and it's not exactly what you'd call ideal canoeing season), but I've just *got* to find it. I'm also wondering how close to Wormhole I can get... if I can get to the land side of the Profit Island Chute, I just might have to go take a peek to see that it's still around. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, just figured I'd put out a plug for Louisiana hydrocaching, since I've grown to really enjoy it. (I got sunburned last weekend... go figure.) As for WC... it's just a shame to leave it out there all alone. icon_biggrin.gif

Hey ClayJar,

I've been thinking of a combined Whiskey Chitto/NOMAN canoe-cache-run from New Orleans some time this year (Spring?). So besides you and I, there's 4 others watching Wiskey Chitto (sorry, I have to spell it out, 'WC' brings to mind an alternate meaning icon_wink.gif ).

I don't know what the rivers are running in the central part of the state, but the Black Creek in MS was darn near perfect for paddling last weekend (I backpacked the trail alongside of it). And the weather was SUPERB!!! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by rpecot (edited 19 February 2002).]

Guest pizzachef

If I had a boat...even an inflatable canoe...I'd be all over the hydro-caches. There's also a virgin hydro-cache in Texas just west of the LA border called Caddo got Goat that pre-dates Whiskey Chitto..it's been bugging me for months.

If anyone plans on attempting any of these, I'd be all for tagging along! Just let me know. I'll even help paddle. icon_biggrin.gif

-pizzachef

Guest Rbdupuy

Well, far be it from me to take charge, but I have a proposed solution. I have 2 canoes and a minivan and I plan to hit Whisky Chitto on March 2. There I've said it.

Here's where you come in... I'm opening it up to local cachers from New Orleans, Baton Rouge, etc. - whoever can either get transportation to a predetermined meeting place, or meet up somewhere between New Orleans and the cache. I have enough room for 6 (uncomfortably) in canoes, but I understand that it's not too tough to rent canoes there... assuming more than that are interested and can go. If you want to bring other water-transportation, or land-transportation for that matter... that's fine too. E-mail me if you want more info, or if you're interested. I don't plan on coming back empty-handed.

~RBDupuy.

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Rbdupuy:

Well, far be it from me to take charge, but I have a proposed solution. I have 2 canoes and a minivan and I plan to hit Whisky Chitto on March 2. There I've said it.

My mom finally had a free Saturday, so I tossed my canoe in the back of her car and took a three-hour ride (...a three-hour ride...). After scouting the ending bridge, she dropped me off at the start bridge and went to wait.

Anyway, it was a great canoe trip, but when I hopped off to find the cache, the cupboard was bare. icon_frown.gif From the description, I'm rather certain I was in the right place, and the hints all fit (except for the lack of a cache).

So, while it's definitely worth a canoeing trip, you may want to bring a new or replacement cache. Just a bit farther along, and on the opposite bank, there are probably plenty of safer hiding spots, and it may even be a good idea to not hide it behind a sandbar (no footprints to point it out to non-cachers).

One request... if we replace it with a new, can we call the new cache "Still Caching" (as in distilling)? icon_wink.gif

Guest Buck8Point

See My Log Report for Details and Pics.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4276

I was there today too, and there werent any signs that anyone had been there before me, such as foot prints on the sandbar, trail, or cachesite, so Im pretty sure I was there first.

RBD If you are still goin that way in March, maybe you can replace it in the same spot, with the same coordinates, and name, like Katie and ALex did for FFFF.

This cache was not stolen, it was washed away in a flood, common to that area. The evidence was very concise. The force of the flood water was just too much for the tie down used.

If it gets replaced, the spot is good, it just needs an Ammo Can, with a piece of chain nailed to the tree. That should hold in the next flood.

Its a GREAT LOCATION for a cache.

Buck8Point

------------------

Buck8Point

"If I can't fix it, It's definately Broke."

Guest Rbdupuy

Aah, Bummer. icon_frown.gif

If I knew you guys were taking this as such a personal mission, I would have made a better showing for myself. Ok, so we've established that it's NOT there. I guess the only consolation for me going next weekend would be the reward of the trip itself, which seems nice anyway. That is, unless I can scrounge up a decent cache by next weekend.

Hey, maybe I'll do that. That side of the state looks so lonely on the geocaching map, and I'm sure it's a decent spot for a cache. If I were to place a cache there (in memoriam) I would probably place it a little further back off of the water. Not knowing the area, it just seems like bad news to place it that close to a river that has the potential to flood enough to wash the first one away.

I guess now, I'm undecided on whether to go or not. confused.gif More to be announced...

~RBDupuy

Guest ClayJar

points there were plastic lawn chairs up in the trees about twice as high as the banks), but using a sturdy ammo can and chaining it to a tree ought to be thorough enough.

But anyway, if there's a boating excursion heading that way, I'm ready. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

As for replacing it, let's go. I'm up for a return trip, and replacing the cache would mean that I can actually log a find, too. icon_wink.gif

Does anyone have an ammo box? I've got none (and the local army surplus hasn't had any for months). I don't think there's any way to put it in a floodless spot (at two points there were plastic lawn chairs up in the trees about twice as high as the banks), but using a sturdy ammo can and chaining it to a tree ought to be thorough enough.

But anyway, if there's a boating excursion heading that way, I'm ready. icon_smile.gif

Well that's a big time bummer. That's actually been my aversion to placing a hydrocache... You not only have to make sure it's a good spot, you need to make sure it remains accessible most of the year and won't get washed away / sunk. icon_frown.gif

I'll probably be scooping up some more ammo cans this week (I'm down to 1, and it's a bit bigger than the size I like). I've also got a 8-10 foot piece of thin steel cable that would lend itself nicely to looping through an ammo can and locking itself to an immovable object. You'd almost thing I had these paired off ready for a cache in flood plain. icon_smile.gif

Katie and I may be interested if a replacement squad heads out to replace the cache. If not by paddling, maybe in a supporting role (I've got a truck and I know where carpenter's bridge is)?

So.. How long was the paddle? I'm really interested to see how this whole thing unfolds....

alex

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

I'll probably be scooping up some more ammo cans this week (I'm down to 1, and it's a bit bigger than the size I like). I've also got a 8-10 foot piece of thin steel cable that would lend itself nicely to looping through an ammo can and locking itself to an immovable object. You'd almost thing I had these paired off ready for a cache in flood plain. icon_smile.gif

You sound like you've got everything ready to go for hydrocaching. Have you considered putting it all together in an "Instant Hydrocache In A Box" kit? icon_wink.gif

The hider is actually still around, and I've asked him if he'd mind if we reconstructed the cache. Otherwise, we'll just have to do a "son of Whiskey Chitto" cache. (We can't just leave the entire southwest part of Louisiana cacheless, and it'd be a shame to have a net loss of a hydrocache.)

quote:
Katie and I may be interested if a replacement squad heads out to replace the cache. If not by paddling, maybe in a supporting role (I've got a truck and I know where carpenter's bridge is)?

So.. How long was the paddle? I'm really interested to see how this whole thing unfolds...

I guess mileage-wise it was about 8-8.5, according to the description, and by time, it was about 3 hours. Anyway, it's well woth the trip, indeed.

If you'll just wait a few moments on the sandbar while I put the cache in its hiding spot, you can even log a find on the replacement trip. icon_smile.gif

quote:

You sound like you've got everything ready to go for hydrocaching. Have you considered putting it all together in an "Instant Hydrocache In A Box" kit? icon_wink.gif

Actually, I keep it in my boat. icon_smile.gif It almost became a hydrocache today, but ended up taking the ride home anyway. It's amazing the *better* hiding/anchoring ideas you have when you're actually looking for a place to stuff an ammo can in flooded woods. icon_wink.gif I know personally that you can submerge one in 2-3 feet of water for about 3 weeks and it doesn't leak a drop. I need a pool and a 5 year old with ziplock bags full of stickers to do further submersion testing. icon_smile.gif

quote:
I guess mileage-wise it was about 8-8.5, according to the description, and by time, it was about 3 hours. Anyway, it's well worth the trip, indeed.

That doesn't sound bad at all. Katie and I have camped in the area around carpenter's bridge several years ago (more like 10 now that I think about it. geez!), but never made the canoe trip down.

I still don't know if I'd be able to make it for sure, but I think my lower back is telling me that a 3 hour canoe trip is OK. icon_wink.gif

alex

Guest Buck8Point

quote:

The hider is actually still around, and I've asked him if he'd mind if we reconstructed the cache.

Yes he is, he returned an eMail of mine, whic h I posted in this Forum.

Please see the other Topic called "New Info on the Wiskey Chitto Cache"

quote:

If you'll just wait a few moments on the sandbar while I put the cache in its hiding spot, you can even log a find on the replacement trip. icon_smile.gif

Yea, but wouldnt that be rather LAME???

------------------

Buck8Point

Guest ClayJar

t that be rather LAME???

Actually, no. There are several caching teams that hunt that way. When they get in the vicinity of the cache, one of them stays with the baby/dog/whatever and the other goes and finds the cache. Then it's log 'er, switch, and repeat.

If you're not of that ilk, no biggie, but if you are, you can be accomodated. (Especially since this is a hydrocache and therefore not easy to get to solo, unless you cross hunting leases or such.)

Guest Buck8Point

quote:

Actually, no.

Actually YES.. In my opinion that is a VERY LAME way of counting a cache as a find, and I think others will agree..

quote:
(Especially since this is a hydrocache and therefore not easy to get to solo, unless you cross hunting leases or such.)

You list Wiskey Chitto as one of your so called "Hydrocaches". I think I proved that it can be reached by land, and FYI, I DID NOT cross ANY fences, POSTED Signs, Hunting lease Signs, or do anything illegal in doing so.

We both proved it can also be done solo.

------------------

Buck8Point

Ladies and genlemen, the ticket booth is now open. General admission only, $10 per seat. Children 1/2 price. Visa, Mastercard, and PayPal accepted. The line forms to the right. ------------->

paypal.gif

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 25 February 2002).]

quote:
Actually, no.

Actually YES.. In my opinion that is a VERY LAME way of counting a cache as a find, and I think others will agree..

Generally, I wouldn't log it as a find. I consider the "whole package" to be part of the geocaching experience (the drive, the hike, the hunt, the frustration).

Then again, if I was in it for the find counts, I could see where it technically is a find. I don't care much for find counts, so it doesn't really matter much to me. icon_wink.gif

alex

Guest Buck8Point

Thanks Alex....

That was exactly the point I was trying to make, in a kinda roundabout way... icon_biggrin.gif

hehehehehhe

Buck8Point

------------------

Buck8Point

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

I consider the "whole package" to be part of the geocaching experience (the drive, the hike, the hunt, the frustration).

Basically, what some people have done is do the drive and the hike together, but then have someone stop short with the little kid while one hunts the cache and experiences the hunt and the frustration. Then the successful finder puts the cache back as they found it and returns to the kid. They stay there (at a point out of sight/hearing/etc from the cache coords) with the kid while the other gets to experience the hunt and the frustration.

I'll admit that it seems like a bit of a kludge, but it satisfies the spirit of geocaching. The parties don't help each other, so even the frustration is there.

Basically, the way it would work for this one is that if someone wanted to actually *hunt* the cache, they would stop at the previous sandbar, and we'd (I'd?) go ahead and re-hide the cache. Then they can come down and actually have a real hunt. I don't think any of us cares that much about finds, but if someone loves the hunt more than the hide, my point was that we can accomodate them and allow them to actually find a real, live hidden cache (even though it will be one of the quickest finds in history).

quote:

I'll admit that it seems like a bit of a kludge, but it satisfies the spirit of geocaching. The parties don't help each other, so even the frustration is there.

To each his own, I guess. I guess that's why we're all here. While it's probably not for me, I imagine it works out well for lots of folks. icon_wink.gif

Personally, I enjoy the anticipation of seeing a new cache on the site, wondering where it is, what it might look like, what's probably in it, how do I get there? , will someone else get there first?, do I want to be first?, do I want to do this one at all?, will it still be there on the weekend? etc...

... and then Tuesday morning comes along and I realize that I've got no less than 4 days of work before I need to figure it all out for sure ... icon_smile.gif

That's actually one of my aversions to casual "group geocaching". My first group experience was at LAGG1, and I think I figured out quickly that I like caching in a small "team" (i.e. Katie and I) as opposed to groups of unlinked teams or individuals. But that's just me..

Now that we've all had a small look into alex's psyche, I'm sure the geopsychiatrists will find some way to blame it all on my parents. icon_smile.gif

alex

P.S. I saw in the whiskey chitto thread that buck8point and clayjar are starting to think alike. Anyone care to answer the question:

"What do you get when you cross a Buck8Point and a ClayJar?" icon_smile.gif

Guest Buck8Point

e starting to think alike. Anyone care to answer the question:

"What do you get when you cross a Buck8Point and a ClayJar?" icon_smile.gif

Alex,

I think what clayjar meant in that particular thread was that, HE was actually for once, thinking like ME. Scarry thought indeed, and I seriously doubt it will happen very often.

icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yea and about the the Cross....

hummm

You get a Rebel Garminite who is the Absoulute Authority on Pocket Pencil Protectors.

Be glad that will NEVER happen.

icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Buck8Point

Guest Rbdupuy

Well folks,

I'm trying to be really positive about this weekend, but all the weathermen are calling down heavy thunderstorms and record lows to rain on my (our) parade. icon_frown.gif

Maybe another Saturday in March. I'm so bummed. I was really looking forward to it, too. Maybe things will work out closer to time... If it looks like it, I'll post, but as things stand now, I think it would be asking for trouble to try for it this weekend. But I'm open to suggestions... anybody?

~RBDupuy.

Guest ClayJar

Yeah, the weatherman seems fairly certain... so... how about we push it back two weeks to March 16? (March 9 is taken with Breakfast Cache #3 in Arlington, TX... I've already scheduled time off to drive to that one.) Anyway, tentatively speaking, how does the 16th sound?

Guest Buck8Point

Sounds great to me...

That will give me time to sneak out there and replace it myself, before yall get there.... hehehehe icon_biggrin.gif

Using the land route I blazed of course....

J/K Guys...

------------------

Buck8Point

Dang...Here I am trying to plan something with Rangertrek in Shreveport to try for Caddo got Goat, and Clayjar goes and finds it before us. Oh well, I guess we'll have to settle for second icon_biggrin.gif

He must've swung by on his way to that dern Dallas breakfast thing they had...well, glad to know it's still out there though.

So it seems like it's not accesible by a powerboat?

-pizzachef

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

So it seems like it's not accesible by a powerboat?

You can probably get to it that way if you put in at the state park ramp. I heard boats and actually saw one through the trees as I approached the cache (it was on the north side of the island).