GPS Recommendation

kalinmiya68

Hi, I know this question gets asked a lot but I'm looking for recommendations on a GPS to use for geocaching. I'm still mostly new to this and used to use my phone but recently had to switch to a cheap $50 Samsung and it gets cranky and freezes a lot so geocaching wouldn't be the best for it. I don't ha routerloginve much money and I'm looking for something hopefully less than $200. Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide. 192.168.0.1

Edited by kalinmiya68

I would stick to Garmin. They are practically the only handheld GPS manufacturer left and there is a broad community of Garmin users to offer supplemental support and knowledge of their devices.

ANY [Garmin] GPS released since 2008 is geocaching compatible, so you just need to see what you can find within your budget. Holiday sales are already starting, so you might find some good deals. The eTrex line are their "introductory" lineup while the GPSmap and Oregon models are more feature-packed with larger screens and faster processors. But ANY model is more than capable of handling geocaching. Though I would maybe stay away from the eTrex 10. 

Edited by Mineral2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, stay as far away as you can from the eTrex 10. Just. Don't. Do. It.

My number one GPSr for geocaching is still the Oregon 7x0 series. You just can not beat the features for the price. They are commonly just above your budget, but they have been available within your budget during holiday sales in years past, so keep your eyes open as they should be going on sale again any time now!

There are other Garmin options, but none as capable as the Oregon 7x0. You will not be disappointed!

GPSr prices have gone up, and it's getting harder to find something under $200 that isn't the Etrex 10...   Oregon 700 or GPSMAP 64s  is a good choice but around $250...

Or upgrade your current phone to something like the Moto G8 or an Iphone 7, which is around $200 but accurate as any GPSr on the market.  You'll get a much nicer cellphone that fully works with geocaching. 

9 minutes ago, gpsblake said:

GPSr prices have gone up, and it's getting harder to find something under $200 that isn't the Etrex 10...   Oregon 700 or GPSMAP 64s  is a good choice but around $250...

Not too long ago Costco had the Oregon 7x0 for, IIRC, about $180 USD.

Not sure what we might see it go for this year.

9 minutes ago, gpsblake said:

Or upgrade your current phone to something like the Moto G8 or an Iphone 7, which is around $200 but accurate as any GPSr on the market.  You'll get a much nicer cellphone that fully works with geocaching. 

Really?

iPhone 7 and Moto G8 have full Multi GNSS and Dual Band capabilities? (I don't think so....)

3 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Not too long ago Costco had the Oregon 7x0 for, IIRC, about $180 USD.

Not sure what we might see it go for this year.

Really?

iPhone 7 and Moto G8 have full Multi GNSS and Dual Band capabilities? (I don't think so....)

Neither of which is required to geocache with nor will increase your chances in finding a geocache.   In fact, an active cellphone might be more accurate because it was use cellphone towers, something that no handheld GPSr can use.

Edited by gpsblake
1 hour ago, gpsblake said:

Neither of which is required to geocache with nor will increase your chances in finding a geocache.   In fact, an active cellphone might be more accurate because it was use cellphone towers, something that no handheld GPSr can use.

You stated those phones were just as capable as anything Garmin produces.

You were 100% wrong.

Also, cell towers are not as accurate as GPS, nor are they available should you find yourself geocaching far from mommy's basement.

Edited by Atlas Cached
12 hours ago, gpsblake said:

In fact, an active cellphone might be more accurate because it was use cellphone towers, something that no handheld GPSr can use.

You need to do some reading on that topic.  Cell triangulation is a pretty rough estimator, and is nowhere near accurate enough to use to locate a cache.

THREE HUNDRED FEET in ideal circumstances (urban areas with many towers) is a commonly quoted figure by those that do this for a living.

• Upvote 2