Searching by Coordinates

Torgut

Torgut, try this:

Click on any Waymark, then on Nearest Waymarks. Then click the blue Search Criteria box at the top of the page.

Next click in the coordinates line under Near:. The entire line will become highlighted. Hit one of the arrow keys on your keyboard to unhighlight it.

Now you will need a set of coordinates in Decimal Degree format, just like the format you'll see in the coordinates line.

Copy your LONG coords, double click the LONG coords on the coordinates line and paste. Do the same with the LAT coords, then click Update, below.

Don't forget to set the appropriate search radius.

One caveat - double clicking a coord in the coordinates line will leave the minus sign, if there is one. So, if you want one, paste the coord without the minus sign, otherwise you'll get two minus signs which will result in an error when you update. Naturally, if there is a minus sign and you don't want it you'll have to delete it yourself.

In most, but not all, apps, double clicking a number preceded by a minus sign will select just the number, not the minus sign, which is what we want.

I've done this for ages now. It's the only method I know of that works ALL THE TIME. Just plugging in a set of coords in the coordinates line may or may not work.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
45 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

Torgut, try this:

Click on any Waymark, then on Nearest Waymarks. Then click the blue Search Criteria box at the top of the page.

Next click in the coordinates line under Near:. The entire line will become highlighted. Hit one of the arrow keys on your keyboard to unhighlight it.

Now you will need a set of coordinates in Decimal Degree format, just like the format you'll see in the coordinates line.

Copy your LONG coords, double click the LONG coords on the coordinates line and paste. Do the same with the LAT coords, then click Update, below.

Don't forget to set the appropriate search radius.

One caveat - double clicking a coord in the coordinates line will leave the minus sign, if there is one. So, if you want one, paste the coord without the minus sign, otherwise you'll get two minus signs which will result in an error when you update. Naturally, if there is a minus sign and you don't want it you'll have to delete it yourself.

In most, but not all, apps, double clicking a number preceded by a minus sign will select just the number, not the minus sign, which is what we want.

I've done this for ages now. It's the only method I know of that works ALL THE TIME. Just plugging in a set of coords in the coordinates line may or may not work.

Keith

Ouch! I guess will go on living without searching by coordinates. It's too complicated for such a short life :-) Thanks for the explanation though. Hopefully it will help someone else in the same situation but with enough patience :-)