GPS on Bench Marks Program

latahgps

Help improve the National Spatial Reference System (NSRS) and prepare for the NSRS modernization in 2022 by participating in the GPS on Bench Marks (GPS on BM) for the Transformation Tool campaign.

The Land Surveyors Association of Washington (LSAW) needs to observe selected monuments across the state but first the monuments need to be recovered.  Go to WWW.NGS.NOAA.GOV

Click on "GPS on Bench Marks", that will take you to the page that shows you what monuments need to be recovered.  Once you have recovered a monument notify your County Surveyor with the monuments information and they will arrange for a LSAW Surveyor to take two, four hour observations on the monuments with a Survey grade receiver.

Members in others states

You can do the same.  If you don't have a County Surveyor email the information to NOAA’s National Geodetic Survey, Regional Geodetic Advisor.  They will forward the information to the correction person.  Their address is:  HTTPS://geodesy.noaa.gov/ADVISORS/index.shtml

Edited by latahgps

latahgps,

Do you know what GPS grade is required?  Tried to find this information on the "GPS on Bench Marks" link where it does show the color dot legend.  Checked a couple Priority A marks that I recovered 10 years ago in Fergus County, Montana and found that the elevation that can be plucked off Google Earth is much closer to the Data Sheet that what my recreation grade (HH2) numbers were.  MEL

There are many marks on their list that just need a recovery report so someone with the equipment might have more incentive to submit sessions on them.

The GPS requirement is L1+L2 (non-squaring process), which is beyond recreational and mapping receivers. It takes a professional grade receiver with an antenna model having NGS calibration data, centered and height measured to mm precision, with minimum of 4-hour session. The data is processed through OPUS.

In 2018 I submitted 27 sessions using an antique but sufficiently capable Trimble 4000sse receiver. There was a lot to learn and lots of hours put in, but an interesting project. Maybe again next spring.

Bill93,  Thanks for clarifying the equipment requirements.  Was hoping a 'mapping' unit might work  -  have a GIS  technician friend that would have done a few nearby ones for me.  I think that I know of a couple that have likely been taken out by road projects.  Will check them on a bird watching trip next spring.  kayakbird

7 hours ago, kayakbird said:

latahgps,

Do you know what GPS grade is required?  Tried to find this information on the "GPS on Bench Marks" link where it does show the color dot legend.  Checked a couple Priority A marks that I recovered 10 years ago in Fergus County, Montana and found that the elevation that can be plucked off Google Earth is much closer to the Data Sheet that what my recreation grade (HH2) numbers were.  MEL

Yes, I takes a few more clicks but it's simple.

Once you have clicked on the "GPS on Bench Marks" follow these steps.

Click on "Visit The Dashboard".

Under the US map click on "GTT Web Map App".

Clear the box in the center of the next page.

Across the bottom of the map click on "Filter by County",  Fill in the State and County. Turn on Priority list 10 KM by County.

You can now see all A and B monuments and the number of observations required.

You can also print a map that shows the monument, Class, and number of observations required.

5 hours ago, Bill93 said:

There are many marks on their list that just need a recovery report so someone with the equipment might have more incentive to submit sessions on them.

The GPS requirement is L1+L2 (non-squaring process), which is beyond recreational and mapping receivers. It takes a professional grade receiver with an antenna model having NGS calibration data, centered and height measured to mm precision, with minimum of 4-hour session. The data is processed through OPUS.

In 2018 I submitted 27 sessions using an antique but sufficiently capable Trimble 4000sse receiver. There was a lot to learn and lots of hours put in, but an interesting project. Maybe again next spring.

There's nothing wrong with a "sse" as long as your setup is good.  Sometimes it's the 4 hours of continuous data that is the killer.  Spent many a day just getting 4 continuous hours. 

On 11/23/2020 at 1:05 PM, Bill93 said:

I would like to get the hardware necessary to do this at some point, honestly. Just to learn.

On 11/23/2020 at 12:30 AM, latahgps said:

Help improve the National Spatial Reference System (NSRS) and prepare for the NSRS modernization in 2022 by participating in the GPS on Bench Marks (GPS on BM) for the Transformation Tool campaign.

The Land Surveyors Association of Washington (LSAW) needs to observe selected monuments across the state but first the monuments need to be recovered.  Go to WWW.NGS.NOAA.GOV

Click on "GPS on Bench Marks", that will take you to the page that shows you what monuments need to be recovered.  Once you have recovered a monument notify your County Surveyor with the monuments information and they will arrange for a LSAW Surveyor to take two, four hour observations on the monuments with a Survey grade receiver.

Members in others states

You can do the same.  If you don't have a County Surveyor email the information to NOAA’s National Geodetic Survey, Regional Geodetic Advisor.  They will forward the information to the correction person.  Their address is:  HTTPS://geodesy.noaa.gov/ADVISORS/index.shtml

Hi all,

I looked (and recovered) some of the stations that are listed for NC.  There are some stations have been affected by roadwork and are unrecoverable.  Will they select other stations to be used for this project?  Anyone know? 

Take care,

ODS

NGS has occasionally updated the wish list, but I wouldn't have a lot of confidence they would in response to a few missing in an area.

Very few on their list are going to get sessions submitted by volunteers with the equipment. NGS has to work with whatever they get that is useful.  If someone does submit sessions on suitable replacements I think they will use them even though those weren't on this list. The replacements may not be as optimally located, which is why they weren't chosen for the list.

In the earlier round . I looked on Google Earth for every disk location along a former RR line for 50 miles for ones without tree cover, went out and found only three existing stable and with suitable sky to submit, and those weren't all on the list but they used them.