PQ email "Download now" links works; but no file downloaded

fbax

I access email via Chrome. Last week when I clicked "Download now"; Chromes downloaded the file but warned me it might be unsafe; I clicked "accept" and file was downloaded/available.

After another Chrome update; now when I click the "Download now" link; I see a new tab open and close. When I ask Chrome to reopen last closed tab; I see its the PQ download page. This suggests that the PQ download page was accessed; yet no file was downloaded. Anyone else see the same behaviour? I know I can go to the PQ download page and manually download a file; but that's a LOT more clicks than just clicking link in email. How to fix this?

Chrome Version 87.0.4280.66 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I hadn't noticed this glitch, but based on this thread, I checked my version of Chrome and tried to download from the recent email. I'm using the same version of Chrome as listed (87.0.4280.66, Official Build, 64-bit), I too see the same behavior.  A tab appears to open and close, and nothing is downloaded.  

I typically don't download from the email though.  I usually go to geocaching.com and download from the PQ page, once I get the notifications and that works as expected, with no warnings about unsafe files. 

On 11/25/2020 at 10:00 PM, em_adventuring said:

Thank you for reporting this issue. We have notified the Engineering team.

Hi

I haven't downloaded a PQ for a while now  (probably for obvious reasons)  however I have started to do so again and have noted yet again - I create the PQ - I get the email (as I have done for years) and when I click on the link to download from the email nothing happens - as said before I can download the PQ from the PQ section on the website and I can probably get the file downloaded from the email but I have to use an alternate browser (I use Chrome - but I know that if I revert to Firefox - clicking on the link it appears nothing happens but I will find the file in my download folder) 
I prefer using Chrome and not have to switch between browsers 
I had no problem 6 months ago with Chrome - so has the cause of this issue been identified and is there a likelihood it will be rectified

Tim

On 4/10/2021 at 6:15 PM, Deepdiggingmole said:

Hi

I haven't downloaded a PQ for a while now  (probably for obvious reasons)  however I have started to do so again and have noted yet again - I create the PQ - I get the email (as I have done for years) and when I click on the link to download from the email nothing happens - as said before I can download the PQ from the PQ section on the website and I can probably get the file downloaded from the email but I have to use an alternate browser (I use Chrome - but I know that if I revert to Firefox - clicking on the link it appears nothing happens but I will find the file in my download folder) 
I prefer using Chrome and not have to switch between browsers 
I had no problem 6 months ago with Chrome - so has the cause of this issue been identified and is there a likelihood it will be rectified

Tim

Yes, I have the same problem, and a new one. The download link in gmail doesn't do anything anymore in Chrome. Firefox is ok.

The second problem with chrome: for several of my geocache pages. No pictures are shown anymore. But the link is still ok in a separate tabpage, pictures is still visible. But not in the total cache description.

What is the solution? Is deleted the history and cookies, but no solution.

Just now, MartyBartfast said:

I just did a test on this, and as reported above:

In Firefox, clicking the link in the mail downloads the PQ.

In Chrome clicking the link in the mail doesn't seem to do anything, however right clicking and selecting "Open link in new tab" does successfully download the PQ.

Odd.

Ok, thanks, I'll try. Now I'm working in Firefox.

Your answer  for "download queries"  is the same for the pictures, "Open in new tab" shows the picture in chrome. Very strange, looks like the webpages from geocaching don't work 100% in chrome anymore.

4 hours ago, Team Professor X said:

The second problem with chrome: for several of my geocache pages. No pictures are shown anymore. But the link is still ok in a separate tabpage, pictures is still visible. But not in the total cache description.

What is the solution? Is deleted the history and cookies, but no solution.

I don't know what the solution is (other than using a different browser), but this problem is due to Chrome now blocking http images embedded within https pages.

• Helpful 1