Montana 650 Repair Power button

Ramblin_Man

7 minutes ago, Ramblin_Man said:

The power button on my Montana 650 needs to be repaired.  The rubber power button has warn off.  I have to use pen to insert a pen to turn the unit on or off.  

Has anyone had this problem?   Can  you order parts for  this unit?   All comments appreciated.

Same happened on my 600, or whatever the number.

I carved off a piece of pencil eraser, to give me something to push down on from the button level that goes down to that little plastic nib inside. And then I covered the hole in the rubber with a piece of duct tape, to keep moisture from getting into the unit.

I'm now on my second piece of duct tape after a couple years. It didn't wear out, but the edges eventually came unstuck.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

How are you at DIY repairs?

Garmin Montana 600 Back Case

Whoops, that's for the 600, you have a 650, and they do not appear to have any 650 back cases at this time.

But, they do have this replacement button section if you want to try your hand at that! (they seem to have done an excellent job in their example photo)

Edited by Atlas Cached
18 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Please explain "high mileage".  

I have Garmin GPSr with more than 40K cycles on the power and/or user buttons without tearing or visible damage, so I guess probably devices that have more use than that, or devices with users that do not exercise 'finesse' when cycling those buttons....

I know where I've been, thanks.  :)

Of course you do.

And certainly, much of that time has been here in these forums (based on your 3,207 'Likes' and 12,233 posts.)

I use a 60csx for hunting, fishing, 4-wheeling, boating, and even geocaching, yet only wore the paint off buttons..  

Well now, let's try to stay on topic and not compare apples to oranges.

The buttons you reference from your GPSMAP series device are not the same soft rubber over mold that is being discussed in this thread about the Montana 600 power button.

Edited by Atlas Cached
typo
  • Surprised 1

Not sure if this is still active but here goes anyway. I have exactly the same problem and I too am using a ballpoint to operate the switch. I Sourced a new rear case about a year ago but haven't tried changing it yet. It's worth noting that it's not a straight swap. The rear case I've got is just that, no battery contacts, no cradle contacts etc. just a piece of plastic with a rubber switch cover, lens cover. Everything else has to be carefully removed and transferred which is part of the reason I haven't bothered. I'm glad I found this thread. The duct tape and pencil eraser method sound like quite an attractive alternative. I've attached a couple of pictures.

20201218_152420.jpg

20201218_152408.jpg

On 12/18/2020 at 9:30 AM, THE CASTOFFS said:

Not sure if this is still active but here goes anyway. I have exactly the same problem and I too am using a ballpoint to operate the switch. I Sourced a new rear case about a year ago but haven't tried changing it yet. It's worth noting that it's not a straight swap. The rear case I've got is just that, no battery contacts, no cradle contacts etc. just a piece of plastic with a rubber switch cover, lens cover. Everything else has to be carefully removed and transferred which is part of the reason I haven't bothered. I'm glad I found this thread. The duct tape and pencil eraser method sound like quite an attractive alternative. I've attached a couple of pictures.

20201218_152420.jpg

20201218_152408.jpg

I have the same problem with mine. Contacted Garmin and they no longer have parts for these. I looked at purchasing the case, as you did, but decided there was more involved than just switching the case, and I'm an electrician. Didn't want to take the chance of screwing it up and having a useless paperweight when I got done. I am covering the hole with duct tape for now until I decide which direction to go.

I found the power button dropped out on my desk a week ago and spied the hole.  :o  I just poked it back in the hole and duct taped over it.  Gps still works just fine.  :D   I reckon it is now good for a few years more service.  After reading this forum, I don't think I'll bother trying to get a new case.

It happened to me with my montana 600 over the weekend as well!

as I was riding along in a car,  part of the rubber covering the button caved in when i pressed the power button and realized that unit didn't turn itself off, then i looked closely and the rubber has torn off and stuck inside the newly formed hole.  

I contacted Garmin today and they said they no longer service montana 600, but they offer 20% off towards buying a new handheld gps unit.  Not sure what i should to do next.

Edited by erdos