National Register of Historic Places.

iconions

Our standby website - nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com has been disabled.  This is going to make the creation of waymarks in the National Register of Historic Places category just a tad more difficult.  
1st, use Landmarkhunter or Findthedata as the new default primary URL and for the needed variables in the category IF the property exists on the website.  This is the easiest option.
2nd, use the metadata from the NPS website as the primary URL and fill in the variables IF the 1st option isn't available,
3rd, use the actual NHRP application as the primary URL and fill the variables from there.

I hope the above is helpful to everyone.  I've actually have been able to use both the first and second options myself to load new NHRP waymarks - and no, I didn't approve my own!  ;)  

I am happy to assist  if someone gets stuck.  Contact me if you need help.

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

Can the page not be edited to reflect these changes? 

The current page already lists Landmarkhunter or findthedata as alternate sources.  I have asked the leader of the category, however, if we can make more permanent changes.  We'll see what can be done.  In the meantime, please use the info in my first post and you'll be able to get through the variables.

I do not want to have the sections completely deleted for the nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com  just in case by some random act they come back on line.  My thought is that I'll put an Update in front of those sections to state that it is currently offline and to skip to the next section.  That way, the info is still there if it comes back on line, people don't have to go back and clean up old waymarks, and we can move on.  I think this is the easiest and best solution. 

On 11/23/2020 at 1:58 PM, The Snowdog said:

I was going to see if the listings at the National Park Service were going to replace it but lo and behold NationalRegisterOfHistoricPlaces.com was up and running today. But it was not last week. Hmmmmmmm........

YUP - was just reviewing a WM in which the NRHP URL was used; I clicked on it and SURE ENOUGH, it worked!!! (Clicked on the URL in this line again, just to be DOUBLY SURE.)

On my first change of state at the site I got an ad, though, which might tell us something.

I've noticed a couple of changes, though, which you're bound to find for yourselves once there. Otherwise it's working well, nice and fast, no serious glitches found yet.

BTW, I'm one of the officers of the Contributing Buildings category and was about to make the changes Tom was wanting when I decided I should do my review queue first, which is when I discovered the GOOD NEWS!!!

BTW NB - There WILL BE a small change made to the Contributing Buildings category, hopefully right now, or at least sometime today.

I assume that the group's founder, JimmyEv, wrote the category requirements. In them he simply, gently, requested:

Please do not submit contributing buildings that have an individual listing on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).

Because submitters have not adhered, in the past, to his request, we are today explicitly stating that contributing buildings that have an individual listing on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) will no longer be approved, as of November 24, 2020. Further, any that should slip through the initial review process on or after November 24, 2020 and be later found to not adhere to this requirement will be reevaluated and declined.

Happy NRHP Waymarking!!!

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
1 hour ago, ScroogieII said:

YUP - was just reviewing a WM in which the NRHP URL was used; I clicked on it and SURE ENOUGH, it worked!!! (Clicked on the URL in this line again, just to be DOUBLY SURE.)

On my first change of state at the site I got an ad, though, which might tell us something.

I've noticed a couple of changes, though, which you're bound to find for yourselves once there. Otherwise it's working well, nice and fast, no serious glitches found yet.

BTW, I'm one of the officers of the Contributing Buildings category and was about to make the changes Tom was wanting when I decided I should do my review queue first, which is when I discovered the GOOD NEWS!!!

BTW NB - There WILL BE a small change made to the Contributing Buildings category, hopefully right now, or at least sometime today.

I assume that the group's founder, JimmyEv, wrote the category requirements. In them he simply, gently, requested:

Please do not submit contributing buildings that have an individual listing on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).

Because submitters have not adhered, in the past, to his request, we are today explicitly stating that contributing buildings that have an individual listing on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) will no longer be approved, as of November 24, 2020. Further, any that should slip through the initial review process on or after November 24, 2020 and be later found to not adhere to this requirement will be reevaluated and declined.

Happy NRHP Waymarking!!!

Keith

Well, there is good news in 2020.  Okay then, as of 8:15pm CST, we will go back to normal category description for the NHRP category.