Iphone Wherigo

Sage Angel

Hello, I am trying to help a friend download the Wherigo app, but it doesn't seem to be in the Apple store. It is possible that I downloaded it from my PC years ago, but can't recall exactly. I have downloaded cartridges and played it on my iPhone pretty recently. Just cant remember where I originally got the app. 

A week? It's now Jan 2nd. What sort of SCRUM process is Groundspeak running in that their expectation of a software release being 1 week away has now turned into 2 months later?

Is this where we insert the conspiracy theories about killing of Wherigo in preference for Adventure Labs?

Edited by fbingha
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 1/2/2021 at 11:13 AM, fbingha said:

A week? It's now Jan 2nd. What sort of SCRUM process is Groundspeak running in that their expectation of a software release being 1 week away has now turned into 2 months later?

Is this where we insert the conspiracy theories about killing of Wherigo in preference for Adventure Labs?

My hope is that they are re-writing the application such that it is cross-compatible with Android devices. That requires collaboration between the software development and design teams. Considering the archaic Wherigo "API" (as in, it was designed for GPSrs) I wouldn't be surprised if there have been some unexpected surprises during development (a Lua VM in a React Native application isn't easy.)

Either way, Groundspeak probably closed for a week over the holidays, so that'll account for a little more of the downtime.

Edited by Hügh

I suspect the iOS API has changed quite a bit since spstanley first created the app--and I don't know whether he or Groundspeak will be making the changes.  Groundspeak hasn't informed me through private channels about what to expect, either.  If this wait on the iOS app goes on for a lot longer, I'll have to start making inquiries.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 2
On 1/2/2021 at 7:13 PM, fbingha said:

The wait is over!

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, this reskinned version has the same major problems as the original: the map only updates the zones when you first pull it up, the zones are all represented as map pins instead of their geometry, and the zones list panel tends not to update when zones' active status changes (at times, it does, but it seems on some long delay).  (While less of a problem, if you have an activated zone's details displayed and it becomes inactive, is renamed, or moved, these updates are not reflected in the zone's details panel.)  Also, I don't know why there's functionality to project a waypoint, but it might be useful if running across cartridges with invisible zones and you know the distance and bearing.  The UI for updating the longitude or latitude of a projected waypoint looks nice.  It's also interesting projected waypoints are retained with the cartridge in which the waypoint was created.

And the least of anyone's worries is it still doesn't play Tetris.  Ha, ha.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 1/8/2021 at 3:30 PM, Ranger Fox said:

Unfortunately, this reskinned version has the same major problems as the original: the map only updates the zones when you first pull it up, the zones are all represented as map pins instead of their geometry, and the zones list panel tends not to update when zones' active status changes (at times, it does, but it seems on some long delay).

Do you have some specific cartridges with examples that you can point out so that I can take a look and see if we can solve the issue?

On 1/15/2021 at 12:20 AM, MrCachly said:

Do you have some specific cartridges with examples that you can point out so that I can take a look and see if we can solve the issue?

Of mine, Whack-A-Lackey is the one I usually pull up to see if the map and zone list are refreshed based on zone events and not via app navigation clicks.  This arcade cartridge moves, shows, and hides zones every so often during play.

For zone geometry, I do not have a cartridge to reference off the top of my head.  I've always kept my zones square and acted like they were points.  However, I'd expect the zone's shape to be displayed on the map, not just a pin.  I do understand geofencing is more taxing than just a simple waypoint, so it's easy for an app engineer to want to skip over that.  While I cannot recall the cartridges, I've seen some with thin, long rectangles for zones or other cartridges where a zone's shape matches a building's.

I do not have an Android device, so I can't look over the Android-only apps.

It would, though, be quite funny and surprising if a Wherigo player app is later finally able to play Tetris.  That would be a small achievement as the playing and/or visualization parts have been a struggle for player apps.

On 1/17/2021 at 6:43 AM, Ranger Fox said:

For zone geometry, I do not have a cartridge to reference off the top of my head. 

Let me know if you find one, as I would like to fix this issue.