Solved coordinates for mystery/letterbox caches

Kingofgame73

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I think it would be nice if the solved coordinates for mystery, multi, letterbox caches would stay on the map after you log the find. Before you log the find, the solved coordinates show on the map correctly, but once you have logged the find the icon goes back to the original posted coords of the cache. This is especially annoying when trying to place a cache because you don't know where the solved coords are for other caches. I've tried updating the coordinates after I've logged the finds, but it doesn't move the icon on the map. 

Any insights would be helpful, or where to post this so it could be suggested to the developers.

• Helpful 1
1 minute ago, Kingofgame73 said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I think it would be nice if the solved coordinates for mystery, multi, letterbox caches would stay on the map after you log the find. Before you log the find, the solved coordinates show on the map correctly, but once you have logged the find the icon goes back to the original posted coords of the cache. This is especially annoying when trying to place a cache because you don't know where the solved coords are for other caches. I've tried updating the coordinates after I've logged the finds, but it doesn't move the icon on the map. 

Any insights would be helpful, or where to post this so it could be suggested to the developers.

This is a very common request on the forums. You'll find several threads about this exact same feature.

• Helpful 2
1 hour ago, Kingofgame73 said:

Developers know this feature request very well. Once there was a bug in the system and it worked few days just like you asked. It was fixed quicly to render the map useless again.

Many 3rd party tools can show the map correctly. Today, I used Locus Map with Geocaching4 Locus addon to see where is available space for a cache.

• Helpful 2

Well for some caches you want the corrected coordinates on found caches to show on the map, and for others you don't (for example, I want my found geo art to look like the art, using the posted coordinates). Seems to me one way might be to put a checkbox on the page ("Always map using corrected coordinates") that defaults to un-checked (the current status) and then users could pick and choose.

• Upvote 2

I agree.  There are some really good reasons you might want to see the final coordinate placement on the map of caches you have already found.  For instance, I may want to place a hide in some woods, but I know I have found puzzle caches there.  Right now, I can't  easily spot the clear spots in the woods a new cache could be placed.  Instead I am forced to attempt a placement and have the reviewer tell me the placement is no good.  This could save a lot of time for everyone.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Yeah, this problem is coming up more and more for me. For every time it was "cute" to have the cache move back into it's original position, there are 10 times I haven't been able to find a cache's webpage because the icon was no longer where I found the cache. The least they could do is have some kind of "geoart" flag a CO could use to indicate it was remotely interesting to move the icon back where it came from. In the common case, the icon moves from a known place -- where I found the cache -- to an arbitrary place a mile and a half away that I don't know about because I never looked at the posted coordinates before I solved the puzzle. Besides making it hard to go back and look at a cache I found in an area, the returned smilies fool me into thinking I've geocached somewhere I haven't.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1