Advertise a club?

WadleClan

My husband often joins me geocaching and enjoys it.  His real hobby is Control Line Flying (plane with engine attached to tethered lines, NOT remote control).  He had the idea today, of making up a little info sheet of what Control Line Flying is and thought about leaving it in future caches we find, along with his contact information, if anyone is interested.  This is a hobby and not a business.  However, many in his hobby are growing old and they could always use new blood to keep it alive and fun.  Would this be allowed, or does is violate some rule?  Again, he is not selling anything, just trying to drum up interest in another hobby while engaging in caching.  Thanks for any info.

Do you think someone would actually look at this? In the end it's just a bit of extra trash in a container box. And then imagine everyone did this.

What you could do though is hide a cache near a control line flying place, and call it Control Line Flying Cache and provide factual information about it. Leave promotional information out, like: this is our club. Membership costs $$$, etc. That should be fine. Or make a mystery with a quiz about this topic. I usually ignore those unless I really need that particular cache for a challenge, but I'm sure other people would find it. And especially if it has a nice container at a nice location.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, terratin said:

Do you think someone would actually look at this? In the end it's just a bit of extra trash in a container box. And then imagine everyone did this.

What you could do though is hide a cache near a control line flying place, and call it Control Line Flying Cache and provide factual information about it. Leave promotional information out, like: this is our club. Membership costs $$$, etc. That should be fine. Or make a mystery with a quiz about this topic. I usually ignore those unless I really need that particular cache for a challenge, but I'm sure other people would find it. And especially if it has a nice container at a nice location.

My bolding. This sounds a bit like an agenda and, I think, most likely would not be allowed.

As for placing a cache near where club activity takes place, I think that would be ok. I have one of my own like that.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, terratin said:

I agree with your point about the fliers being seen as trash.  I had thought about attaching little toy planes or propellers to the cards as a fun trade.  As for placing by control line flying fields, unfortunately there are only a few around and we are too far from them to maintain.  We had planted one by a big field in France in advance of the World Championships, but the grounds were overhauled and the box was destroyed.

That said, my husband really likes the idea of a multi or mystery with that theme.  Then maybe lead them to our property with a small box attached with more info after they found the cache.  That could totally work!  Thanks.

14 minutes ago, colleda said:

My bolding. This sounds a bit like an agenda and, I think, most likely would not be allowed.

As for placing a cache near where club activity takes place, I think that would be ok. I have one of my own like that.

Exactly, that's why I mentioned it. Just introduce people to the hobby.

7 hours ago, WadleClan said:

I agree with your point about the fliers being seen as trash.  I had thought about attaching little toy planes or propellers to the cards as a fun trade.  As for placing by control line flying fields, unfortunately there are only a few around and we are too far from them to maintain.  We had planted one by a big field in France in advance of the World Championships, but the grounds were overhauled and the box was destroyed.

That said, my husband really likes the idea of a multi or mystery with that theme.  Then maybe lead them to our property with a small box attached with more info after they found the cache.  That could totally work!  Thanks.

I was thinking this in your first post.  We've put hundreds of balsa plane kits in caches over the years.   :)

We got baggies to fit, and there's still room for that extra info you're looking to leave.

Maybe you could set up an Adventure Lab on the subject? If you can find up to five locations that are somehow connected to the hobby? You could use the location pages in the Adventure Lab to each tell a bit about a particular aspect of Control Line Flying. And wouldn't have to leave any flyers as to tell about it. Or add a bonus cache to the Adventure Lab where you could leave flyers for geocachers to take . . .