Notification emails not received - logs and messages

Deepdiggingmole

I have never had a problem with this before, but today I failed to get any email notifications of logs on my own caches - I was aware that finds had occurred when checking online and noted this glitch.
Also noted I wasn't getting notification of messages 
The last time I had finds on mine were on 12th (2 days ago) and all emails recieved -  no settings have been changed during that time so see this as a bug 
Has anyone else experienced this ?

Edited by Deepdiggingmole
  • Upvote 1

I'm receiving notifications (pocket queries, logs on owned caches, waymarks to review) for my player account, which uses gmail.  But, I am not receiving notifications (watchlist, pocket queries, forum moderator alerts) for my reviewer account, which uses Yahoo.  Perhaps the issue is specific to certain email providers?

• Helpful 2
41 minutes ago, Keystone said:

I'm receiving notifications (pocket queries, logs on owned caches, waymarks to review) for my player account, which uses gmail.  But, I am not receiving notifications (watchlist, pocket queries, forum moderator alerts) for my reviewer account, which uses Yahoo.  Perhaps the issue is specific to certain email providers?

Interesting. My email account for notifications is also Yahoo, and I haven't received any since last night, from geocaching or Waymarking even though several notification worthy events occurred (waymarks published, caches found...).

2 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

Interesting. My email account for notifications is also Yahoo, and I haven't received any since last night, from geocaching or Waymarking even though several notification worthy events occurred (waymarks published, caches found...).

I'm on Yahoo and just started getting notifications for my caches and I've gotten waymark notices this afternoon too.  

Edited by Max and 99

I'm getting all of my notifications, too ... using Comcast.

This may well turn out to be another of those provider-specific issues where one or more providers aren't happy with the amount of undeliverable email they're getting from GCHQ.

A large privately held retailer was having similar problems on an ongoing basis, all related to 'reputation' as determined by various providers' servers.  Making use of the email server logs, we were able to require re-authentication of a lot of email accounts whose email had been deemed undeliverable.  Those that didn't re-authenticate were quickly culled, and the reputation problem was finally resolved.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:04 PM, Deepdiggingmole said:

I have never had a problem with this before, but today I failed to get any email notifications of logs on my own caches - I was aware that finds had occurred when checking online and noted this glitch.
Also noted I wasn't getting notification of messages 
The last time I had finds on mine were on 12th (2 days ago) and all emails recieved -  no settings have been changed during that time so see this as a bug 
Has anyone else experienced this ?

I have experienced this kind of behavior 2-3 times in the past year. My caches were found but I never got the mail about it. It was lost somewhere.

21 minutes ago, Wild Bill and Jabber said:

Add me to the list of not receiving all my PQ notices for the last two days using Yahoo. Two of the six PQ notices were delivered over 12 hours later than usual.

Same here. None received yesterday (Sunday) or today via Yahoo.

Edited by Dgwphotos

Notifications are trickling in. There were several new caches published this morning in my area; I got one notification this morning and one a few minutes ago. The rest are out in cyberspace somewhere.

ALSO - Message Center won't load any conversations. I will post that in another thread since that is a more different broken thing.

@The Snowdog

Sounds like your provider is performing something called "throttling" or "deferral" of email from GCHQ servers.  Better than blocking email altogether, but still not helpful.

Some wise words from a knowledgeable source:

Think of your domain reputation as a “credit score.” A higher score (from good email practices, data, and engagement) means more consistent inbox placement — and more eyes on your emails. If your domain has a negative history (spam complaints, low opens, higher-than-acceptable bounce rates, spam trap hits), then your score goes down. As a result, you’ll run into issues like spam folder placement, increased throttling, or even blocks from the mailbox provider.  [Users here are seeing all 3 of these symptoms].

Rehabilitating domain reputation is not an overnight process. Depending on the severity of the deliverability issues, reputation resets can take anywhere from a couple of weeks, to multiple months. How long it takes to rebuild your domain reputation depends on your negative metrics (spam complaints, hard bounces, low engagement, spam trap hits) and sending history.

A good timeline for improving your domain reputation would be around 30-45 days, but is dependent on the changes you have implemented to your business practices and how those changes are perceived by mailbox providers.

A negative domain reputation can come from something as simple as too high of a hard bounce (invalid email) rate over time. It may be tempting to email everyone on your list as much as possible, but using little or no segmentation or not having a sunsetting protocol in place to remove inactive recipients can have consequences for your reputation.

Furthermore, you need to have strong sign-up practices in place such as double opt-in to help prevent false and potentially risky data from entering your lists and causing reputation issues down the line. ActiveCampaign has a tool which can help you track, tag, and separate your contacts to help you focus your efforts on specific segments and devise a complementary sending strategy. To learn more about tracking contact engagement, check out this help article.

Over time, recipient addresses can be used as spam traps or honeypots, and sending to those addresses can negatively impact your reputation even further. Having good data gives you a better chance of reaching more recipients, and can help build stronger engagement. For a deeper dive on engagement, and how to keep reputation high with good open rates, we put together an article on email engagement and deliverability.