Event cache?

GeoGirl2009

there is a nice park/field near my house i have hidden 5 caches there and nearby, i asked permission to hold a event and got it. im what you could call "a newbie cacher" i have been geocaching for more than a year i was just using my friends account , anyway now that im use to geocaching events i want to hold one myself. the place is REALLY dirty,trash is evrywhere! its in need of clean up but also i could hold a regular event there so i am a bit confused. is there a number of ctio events that there can be in a state (EX like one ctio a year?)should i do a regular event and ignore the trash on the ground or do a ctio event????  ive never held an event and i need some advice.. what kinda work goes into events? do i  need a geocaching grop or comitee to create an event? thanks for helping me out,

GeoGirl2009 ?

5 minutes ago, GeoGirl2009 said:

the place is REALLY dirty,trash is evrywhere! its in need of clean up but also i could hold a regular event there so i am a bit confused. is there a number of ctio events that there can be in a state (EX like one ctio a year?)should i do a regular event and ignore the trash on the ground

Why would you hold a regular event there if it's dirty and filthy and trash everywhere? and why is it a "nice park" if it's dirty and filthy and trash everywhere? ?And why would you ignore the trash on the ground? How would you even ignore it if you're at an event and it's everywhere?

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 2

If you're concerned about the trash, a CITO event would go a long way - and they're more rare than regular events so you may get more people interested in coming - and they're more appropriate functionally given current pandemic guidelines for social distancing (regional reviewers may be willing to publish CITOs when they won't publish events since the latter encourages people to stay in one place together).

If you host a CITO, you could contact the park or city to either get permission, or guidance, possibly even equipment if necessary, but at the very least, encourage people to come with gloves and bags (you can have some to hand out).

If there's "trash everywhere" as you say, then I'd recommend going for the CITO right now rather than a regular event.  Read the guidelines for CITOs first to be sure you can handle it.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
10 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Read the guidelines for CITOs first to be sure you can handle it.

With that said, a lot of the CITO events that I've attended have been pretty simple. The organizer provided a box of trash bags, everyone took a bag and collected trash, and at the end, we posed for a photo next to the pile of filled (and partially filled) trash bags. There really doesn't have to be much more to it than that.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, niraD said:

With that said, a lot of the CITO events that I've attended have been pretty simple. The organizer provided a box of trash bags, everyone took a bag and collected trash, and at the end, we posed for a photo next to the pile of filled (and partially filled) trash bags. There really doesn't have to be much more to it than that.

Yeah, not much more - other than, what to do with the trash bags. :) One would either need municipal guidance on that, or take 'em all home yourself, or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, TriciaG said:

Yeah, not much more - other than, what to do with the trash bags. :) One would either need municipal guidance on that, or take 'em all home yourself, or something.

Nearly all governmental agencies are amenable to a "We pick it up, you haul it off" arrangement.  In fact, a little geocaching P.R. and good will generation with those agencies is often part of the bargain.  Locally, it was even parlayed into a trade for major CITO events in return for access to public space for geocaching which had previously not been allowed.  A little good will on both sides brought about a conclusion that was happy for everybody.

• Helpful 1
13 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Nearly all governmental agencies are amenable to a "We pick it up, you haul it off" arrangement. 

In fact, a little geocaching P.R. and good will generation with those agencies is often part of the bargain. 

Yep. 

Most CITOs we attended were held with the property owner, thrilled that someone's gonna clean things up. They provided everything needed.

CITO is what we mention first when asking for permission to place a cache.  The "cache in, trash out" thing a big draw.   :)

• Upvote 1