How to enter coordinates for a mystery cache?

PMHerz

Ever since our Garmin died, we've been using our Android phone with the Geocaching App, but I don't see how to enter the coordinates to show the cache's location on a map.

I keep reading that it should work using Google Maps, but I haven't had any luck. When I solve the puzzle, I get 42 59.909 78 41.933 and I've tried to enter these, with commas, with the N and the W, etc., but nothing seems to work. Do I need to convert these coordinates?

Is there a simple way to do this with the app or can someone recommend a different app to do this?

thnx

2 minutes ago, PMHerz said:

Ever since our Garmin died, we've been using our Android phone with the Geocaching App, but I don't see how to enter the coordinates to show the cache's location on a map.

Have you tried the steps described in the Help Center article Add a waypoint?

For solved puzzles, I enter the solved coordinates on the web site. See the Help Center article Enter solved coordinates for Mystery Caches for details.

• Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, PMHerz said:

Do I need to convert these coordinates?

Is there a simple way to do this with the app

I hope you didn't post the real solved coordinates here in the forums. 

It's very easy to do on the app but you have to use the waypoint at the bottom of the page. You can update your solved coordinates on the cache page on the website. 

I often view them on Google map if I'm not out in the field. 

1 hour ago, PMHerz said:

Seems to work.

I haven't had a chance to read the articles, but is it safe to assume that when I enter the coordinates for the waypoint and then click the "needle" to go to the compass, that's for the coordinates that I just entered?

Correct.

It’s definitely worth updating the posted coords (rather than creating a new waypoint):

1. The cache icon (changed to a puzzle piece) is moved to the correct location on the app’s main map, and this will be the default target for navigation.

2. The change is synchronised with the website. (*)  Additional waypoints are only held on the phone making them a little more vulnerable.

(*) Similarly, if you update the posted coords on the website, these are automatically updated in the app.

Edited by IceColdUK
45 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Similarly, if you update the posted coords on the website, these are automatically updated in the app.

Beware, though, if you've recently been viewing the area in the app as it won't immediately upload the new coordinates. I got caught out by that on a puzzle cache when I went out immediately after solving the puzzle and updating the coordinates on the website, only to find when I got there that the app was still showing the bogus coordinates.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 11/12/2020 at 1:50 PM, PMHerz said:

42 59.909 78 41.933

Careful with these coordinates.  Without the N/S/E/W hemispheres specified, the degree value should be positive or negative to indicate the hemisphere.

In this case the "42" indicates it in the northern hemisphere (-42 would be south of the equator).  The 78 value (a positive number) would mean that the Eastern hemisphere is used, which is not what you want. A negative value for the longitude degree would be in the western hemisphere (e.g west of the greenwich mean line)

42 59.909 78 41.933 is the same as N 42 59.909  E 78 41.933, which is a location in Kazakhstan.

42 59.909 -78 41.933 is the same as N 42 59.909  W 78 41.933, which is a location in Manhattan, about a block away from a hotel I've stayed in a couple of times.