Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5
Mr Indoorsman

Why do all bonus caches have to be Mystery caches?

16 minutes ago, dprovan said:
7 hours ago, NLBokkie said:

Here you go, a Multi bonus cache for an adventure lab: https://coord.info/GC8NZ3A . . .

And a Letterbox Hybrid bonus cache for an adventure lab: https://coord.info/GC8HTX1

I don't know whether those are mistakes...

According to the Guidelines both are mistakes: bonus => mystery.

Imo, the multi is definitely a mistake - maybe that’s a regional thing?

But as I’ve said, I don’t see why a bonus with a stamp can’t be an LBH - and it seems that’s fine in Lyon too.

22 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Nothing about the caches themselves is anything like [...] a LBH except for the LBH's stamp.

Like it or not, that is pretty much the definition of a LBH.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dprovan said:

I don't know whether those are mistakes or should be allowed, but it certainly would have made me mad if I'd seen them on my GPSr, walked a mile to where they started, and only then discovered I couldn't do them because I didn't have a smartphone.

Genuine question that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but do you not look at cache pages before you go geocaching? Every single geocache I go after, I've already looked at the cache page on the computer or my phone. That way I know exactly what I'm in for.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, sgerbs said:

Genuine question that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but do you not look at cache pages before you go geocaching?

Every single geocache I go after, I've already looked at the cache page on the computer or my phone. That way I know exactly what I'm in for.

I agree. 

Not dprovan, but thought I'd like to give my take.   Thanks.    :)

Another reason I no longer do nondescript 1.5 or less caches is a lot have lengthy "descriptions", yet many don't have anything to do with the cache. 

The history of the town,  or a few paragraphs from a comic book, and find simply a pill bottle behind a roadside tree, for example...  

I feel those "descriptions" are misleading,  and now I'll read descriptions when I feel a higher D/T may warrant it.   

8 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

That's odd...maybe it's location specific...    

We used to find letterboxes while geocaching, but now that so many are placed willy-nilly, I find more during hunting season. 

Of dozens of "real" letterboxes found, we've yet to find a single, "hand carved" stamp in any.    :)

Not sure what you are referring to by "real" letterboxes, but I'm referring to those listed on Atlas Quest that have nothing to do with geocaching. Letterboxing is about the trading of stamp imprints where store bought stamps are not desirable. Of course, it's probably location specific to some degree but I'm talking about the Atlas Quest letterboxing community.

Edited by fbingha
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, fbingha said:

Not sure what you are referring to by "real" letterboxes, but I'm referring to those listed on Atlas Quest that have nothing to do with geocaching. Letterboxing is about the trading of stamp imprints where store bought stamps are not desirable. Of course, it's probably location specific to some degree but I'm talking about the Atlas Quest letterboxing community.

We understand that other hobby.  I'm simply saying that's not always true.     :)

- In fact, another thing we noticed is the condition of many were similar to this hobby too.  Damp pages and smeared ink...

I have no idea if any belonged to the "atlas quest community", but all were actual letterboxes, not geocaching hybrids.   

We've found some in a few states, just like muggled hides, those cool spots not restricted to this hobby...

All have been store-bought rubber stamps, just like atlas quest even calls them,  and like the custom rubber Cerberus ones we have that we use for hybrids.

All of our hybrids are cross-listed on AtlasQuest and letterboxing.org , and they have hand carved stamps. One is a multi that has a handful of stages, each with a stamp.

• Upvote 1

On 11/12/2020 at 7:36 AM, IceColdUK said:

If you have a series of themed caches, it seems like a nice touch to include a themed stamp in the bonus.

There's nothing stopping a cache owner from having a themed stamp in a bonus cache; just from it being a letterbox hybrid cache. The first bonus the OP refers to should have been submitted as a mystery/unknown cache as well and published as such.

12 minutes ago, hzoi said:
On 11/12/2020 at 12:36 PM, IceColdUK said:

If you have a series of themed caches, it seems like a nice touch to include a themed stamp in the bonus.

There's nothing stopping a cache owner from having a themed stamp in a bonus cache; just from it being a letterbox hybrid cache.

Yep, as I said, above:

On 11/17/2020 at 2:15 PM, IceColdUK said:

Seems to me that it would make perfect sense for a Challenge cache based on finding LBHs, say, to have its own stamp.  Of course, there's nothing to stop you providing a stamp in a Challenge cache, but that wouldn't change it from a Mystery to a LBH.  (Exactly the same as for a Bonus plus stamp.)

It just seems a shame that these are two perfect examples of caches that ‘deserve’ a nice stamp, but there’s no way to show it through cache type or attributes.

1 hour ago, IceColdUK said:

It just seems a shame that these are two perfect examples of caches that ‘deserve’ a nice stamp, but there’s no way to show it through cache type or attributes.

Title: "XYZ Series - Bonus cache [LETTERBOX HYBRID]" (or similar)

Probably just as boldly clear as a cache type, just without the LBH stat.

3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Title: "XYZ Series - Bonus cache [LETTERBOX HYBRID]" (or similar)

Probably just as boldly clear as a cache type, just without the LBH stat.

It’s not about stats (for me).  I just see no reason why a bonus cannot be a LBH.  🤷‍♂️

Yup, and to paraphrase the response I got from HQ staff - 'the rules just are'. When I went back to ask for a rationale, I never got a response.

On 11/27/2020 at 2:56 PM, Mr Indoorsman said:

Yup, and to paraphrase the response I got from HQ staff - 'the rules just are'. When I went back to ask for a rationale, I never got a response.

It's for consistency. That way, hiders, reviewers, and finders are all on the same page of what's expected.

I should be able to find any given letterbox hybrid geocache, or traditional, or multi, or Wherigo, or earthcache, or virtual cache, or A.P.E. cache, or event cache, or adventure maze, without relying on other caches to piece it together. Whereas if it's an unknown/mystery cache, categorically I'm on notice that I can't just turn on the GPSr and go hunting, as there are other things I need to do or figure out in order to get the find.

Put a stamp in if you like, but if it's a bonus, it gets published as an unknown/mystery cache, or not at all.

• Upvote 1