Proposing a new geocache "type"

skinnyfrenchman

I've recently notice a lot more "challenge" caches as I've ventured into doing more "mystery" caches. Now the mystery caches tend to be puzzles which I like, the challenge caches are fun too, but I find them to be a very different category and so I propose that we make a new "type" of cache that we could filter on. I'm sure someone can come up with a cool little icon for it.

It's been suggested before and hasn't happened. With the release of the Challenge cache attribute earlier this year   I don't think there's any prospect of a Challenge cache type now.

You can use the Challenge cache attribute to search for challenges, e.g.
https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?ot=4&f=1&utr=false&att=71

Edited by MartyBartfast
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
18 minutes ago, skinnyfrenchman said:

I've recently notice a lot more "challenge" caches as I've ventured into doing more "mystery" caches. Now the mystery caches tend to be puzzles which I like, the challenge caches are fun too, but I find them to be a very different category and so I propose that we make a new "type" of cache that we could filter on. I'm sure someone can come up with a cool little icon for it.

This has been asked for many many many times. 

8 minutes ago, skinnyfrenchman said:

Aw, that's kind of disappointing. I don't find that it captures it enough with the attribute. That'd be like having a "Multiple stages" attribute on multis. Wonder why this was the decision made?

Possible I guess, that an attribute was easier than sorting through the (thousands ?) of mystery caches with the word "challenge" in them too.

- The idea that owners of actual challenge caches would add that attribute to their caches.

23 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Possible I guess, that an attribute was easier than sorting through the (thousands ?) of mystery caches with the word "challenge" in them too.

- The idea that owners of actual challenge caches would add that attribute to their caches.

Hum Groundspeak DID sorted through thousands of mystery cache when they run their script to add the challenge attribute. I didn't have to do it for my challenges caches.

Having their own type of cache would be nice but what we have now is better than before.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Hum Groundspeak DID sorted through thousands of mystery cache when they run their script to add the challenge attribute. I didn't have to do it for my challenges caches.

Regional reviewers may also have their own reference lists of challenge caches that can be used as a crossreference.

On 11/11/2020 at 5:07 PM, Lynx Humble said:

Having their own type of cache would be nice but what we have now is better than before.

There wasn't a lot of "sorting."  The new challenge cache attribute was applied to all Mystery Caches with the word "challenge" in the title - so there were some false positives.  This isn't a huge deal for an attribute, but it would be a bigger deal for changing the cache type.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 11/11/2020 at 9:46 PM, skinnyfrenchman said:

I think that challenges are so unique that they should still remain as Mystery Caches. Having own type of "challenge" would probably lead to having a lot of easy challenges, just to have a different cachetype.

By the way, when we talk about new cachetypes, I think HQ will never introduce any new types ever. I'm not saying that they won't rename or change currently existing types (like they did with the CCE), but we will never see new, and the reason is somewhere deep in the webpage code.

Edited by sernikk
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, sernikk said:

I think that challenges are so unique that they should still remain as Mystery Caches. Having own type of "challenge" would probably lead to having a lot of easy challenges, just to have a different cachetype.

By the way, when we talk about new cachetypes, I think HQ will never introduce any new types ever. I'm not saying that they won't rename or change currently existing types (like they did with the CCE), but we will never see new, and the reason is somewhere deep in the webpage code.

Considering the low number of letterbox in my area it's pretty unlikely lot of people will publish easy challenges just to get the icon.

I wonder too if it's a code issue that stopped GS to introduce a new cache type.