Is BaseCamp Update Still a No?

This week I have been getting a new BaseCamp nag box about an update to 4.7.3.0.  I am still on 4.6.2 and vaguely remember from a couple of years ago that we should stay on 4.6.2 as the updated version at that time did something to break transferring maps to the GPSr?  I may not have the specifics about the issue 100% correct, but is there still a problem? Should we continue with 4.6.2? 

Edited by Cheminer Will

The "break transferring maps" you mention is an adjustment by Garmin not to transfer registry based maps any more. Unless you use old Garmin maps there's nothing to worry about: modern Garmin maps aren't registry based and maps based on OSM mostly come with a .IMG file which you copy directly to your device or mSD card.

One thing though: the link to Google Earth is permanently removed. So if you use GE on a regular basis, you might want to reconsider updating BaseCamp.

Interesting, I don't think I use "old" maps, but that may be a matter of definition.  But I definitely remember that it broke something for me and I had to downgrade 4.7 to make things work again.  Just don't remember exactly what was broken for me.  But thanks, it sounds like it is a permanent change to BaseCamp.  So for now I think I will stay on 4.6.2.

I wonder why I did not get any nags about updating for a couple of years and now suddenly I am getting them?  Is there a setting to not get those popups that I am missing that may have been changed inadvertently? 

1 hour ago, Cheminer Will said:

This week I have been getting a new BaseCamp nag box about an update to 4.7.3.0.  I am still on 4.6.2 and vaguely remember from a couple of years ago that we should stay on 4.6.2 as the updated version at that time did something to break transferring maps to the GPSr?  I may not have the specifics about the issue 100% correct, but is there still a problem? Should we continue with 4.6.2? 

Detailed information about what was removed and/or broken for each version of BaseCamp is available at GPSrChive > BaseCamp > Software Updates

1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

Detailed information about what was removed and/or broken for each version of BaseCamp is available at GPSrChive > BaseCamp > Software Updates

It looks like the GPSrChive information indicates that Mapinstall with BaseCamp version 4.7.0 was fixed after 4.7.1 update: "MapInstall broken with this BaseCamp version (recommend using BaseCamp 4.6.2.0 or 4.7.1.0)"

So should be OK to let BaseCamp update to 4.7.3.0.

Edited by Cheminer Will

Yes, for me too. The nag I have been getting for the past week and even today is for 4.7.3.0 and the Garmin website shows it as the latest.  Interesting that it shows as being release on Sept. 29 but the pop up reminder just started for me very recently.  And, I did not get the pop up prompts to update for the 3 previous versions either.  Odd.

Edited by Cheminer Will
53 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

There is publicly available release notes, though you have to search for it: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

That explains it....

Yet another instance of someone failing to disclose they are using a Mac instead of a PC. There are literally hundreds of posts in these forums alone where many users have tried to help another with an issue they can not reproduce only to discover late in the game that the original poster was using a Mac but never said so...

I have difficulty understanding why Mac users like to pretend they are the center of the universe when Windows machines outnumber Macs 9 to 1 worldwide

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

This would be the first time I know of where Garmin has diverged in version numbers from the windows and Mac versions. Also, Garmin seems to be hiding basecamp, maybe discouraging new users from downloading it? It's not readily accessible from their website as it used to be.

ALAICR, BaseCamp PC and BaseCamp for Mac have never had identical version numbers. You can compare the PC Change Log with the Mac Change Log and see they almost never update from the same version number to the next between platforms, and the change log notes rarely include the same details.

So I went ahead and updated to 4.7.3 and now my library collection is messed up. For some reason BaseCamp is showing only library data from 2016 and 2017.  All recent data is not there.  I do have backups stored but not sure what is going on? 

I should add that I did try to restore from a backup.  It seems to go through the process OK, but when BaseCamp restarts, it is still only showing the old collection data.

And now I just did a restore from previous version, rather than restoring a backup.  Now my data is back.  I immediately made a new backup.

Can anyone explain why this happened?

Edited by Cheminer Will

I'm guessing that you upgraded to 4.7 at some point in the past and collected some data, then went back to 4.6. The collection format changed between 4.6 and 4.7 and the collections from each version are stored in separate folders. You can do a backup of a collection in 4.6 and restore in 4.7, but that completely overwrites the current contents of your collection. If you don't want that, you will have to reinstall 4.6, export the individual items you want to keep, then switch to 4.7 and import there.

Yes, it's clunky and unintuitive, but that's the only way I could find to get all of my stuff together.

• Helpful 1

Thank you!  Yes this makes sense.  I had updated to 4.7 long ago but then downgraded because of the map install bug.  I see as in the attached screenshot that there are two database folders, one for 4.6 and one for 4.7. I did a restore from the 4.6 data which got me back the correct library in BaseCamp.  The version of BaseCamp running is still shown in the help dropdown as 4.7.3 so it does appear that the "Restore from previous version" file menu option does restore only the data and does nothing else.  Because I then did a backup, now when I look at the contents of the 4.6 and 4.7 database folders the track segments files look the same.  So I guess, (hope) all is good going forward. 

BaseCamp All Data3.JPG

Edited by Cheminer Will