Missing email notification for found adventure lab caches

Hofmannsthal-Gang

32 minutes ago, Hofmannsthal-Gang said:

When someone logs one of my caches, I get a notification email, e.g. "[LOG] Owner: Pirat found Czedik-Marterl (Traditional Cache)".

But when someone finds one of my adventure lab caches I get no notification email. :-(

That feature doesn't exist for Lab caches for unknown reasons.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Hofmannsthal-Gang said:

When someone logs one of my caches, I get a notification email, e.g. "[LOG] Owner: Pirat found Czedik-Marterl (Traditional Cache)".

But when someone finds one of my adventure lab caches I get no notification email. :-(

This is true.  The only way to see completions is to check the leaderboard in the builder, but that has only a few details on the first 3 finders, less details for the next 7 completions (just the names of the completers), and the only way you get more feedback is if someone writes a log after completion.  I can see 10 logs, 11 ratings, but 14 have completed the adventure and 17 have done one of the locations.  

I enjoy feedback, and you don't get a lot on these Adventure labs.  Who are the three who completed one of my locations but didn't do any more, and why did they not continue?  And beyond the first 10, unless they leave a log, I have no idea who completed the Adventure!  Unsatisfying, to say the least.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I just created an adventure lab and was somewhat disappointed to find that there are no notifications when someone logs it! I have to keep checking to see if anyone has done it?! There is no way for anyone to log a problem either eg a friend had used a signpost for a question and the signpost just disappeared. He was lucky that someone he knew was doing his lab cache and had a way to contact him.

15 minutes ago, Marilyn@StHelens said:

I just created an adventure lab and was somewhat disappointed to find that there are no notifications when someone logs it! I have to keep checking to see if anyone has done it?! There is no way for anyone to log a problem either eg a friend had used a signpost for a question and the signpost just disappeared. He was lucky that someone he knew was doing his lab cache and had a way to contact him.

You can contact them through their geocaching profile, even from the app while you're out doing an adventure lab. You can contact someone this way whether you know them or not.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:29 AM, Max and 99 said:

You can contact them through their geocaching profile, even from the app while you're out doing an adventure lab. You can contact someone this way whether you know them or not.

The vast majority of players who run into problems at a location will not take that step. Instead, they will grumble and walk away, never completing the AL and the CO never knowing why. A proactive CO should check the locations periodically or change the question if players are obviously getting stuck in the same place over and over. But the responsibility is on the CO to keep an eye on the Leaderboard and figure out if there is a problem, where and why.

How often will AL COs check their statistics? Without feedback from players or notifications from GS, probably less and less until it is rarely.

• Funny 1
36 minutes ago, G0ldNugget said:

The vast majority of players who run into problems at a location will not take that step. Instead, they will grumble and walk away, never completing the AL and the CO never knowing why. A proactive CO should check the locations periodically or change the question if players are obviously getting stuck in the same place over and over. But the responsibility is on the CO to keep an eye on the Leaderboard and figure out if there is a problem, where and why.

How often will AL COs check their statistics? Without feedback from players or notifications from GS, probably less and less until it is rarely.

I agree. 

3 hours ago, G0ldNugget said:

After the initial flurry, neither of my ALs see much activity these days. My first one has only had three completions this year, two in January and one in June. It's only if I get a notification on the bonus cache that I might go and take a look at the AL's activity logs, otherwise it's out of sight out of mind. Which is sad, because that finder in June mentioned in his bonus cache log (but not in his AL activity log because of the character limit) that a small tree had fallen across one of the locations, making it quite difficult to find the answer. Of course once I was aware of the problem I went straight out there and was able to shift the offending vegetation, but I can't help wondering how long it had been like that and whether anyone else might have been put off by it.

Edited by barefootjeff

Just adding to this, since I'm pretty new to it. My first lab went live this week and only now has hit me that after the 1st ten unless there's a review, you won't even know who completed your lab. 

Adding to that the amount of surely armchair players that where most of the first to get it done, much of the joy fades. meh 

Why hasn't GS put more love into labs? I quite enjoy them and think they are a great complement to physical caching. 

Also, its weird to have an adventure count has 5 owned caches, right? 👀 

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
9 minutes ago, IsThisMajorTom said:

you won't even know who completed your lab. 

Yes, but why do you want to know who has done your AL?  Does it make a difference if team_a or team-b has done it?

11 minutes ago, IsThisMajorTom said:

much of the joy fades

May I ask where your joy comes from and why has it faded when you assume, that there are armchair logger? 

29 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

Yes, but why do you want to know who has done your AL?  Does it make a difference if team_a or team-b has done it?

May I ask where your joy comes from and why has it faded when you assume, that there are armchair logger? 

It has not faded because of armchair - I know they where because one location closes and they where registered at around midnight. I was counting on them and it is what it is, you have to accept it when you play the game that there will always be those that will "bent" it. 

The thing is I, as probably most Co like the feedback. And when you end up with most of the names on the top ten being those that haven't even played and you can't see if the names of cachers you are used to see finding your caches are there.. It brings me a smile when I see a familiar name pop up on my new caches. Why is it a bad thing to want that? 

Am I the only one that think that lab statistics are really poor? 

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
On 4/3/2022 at 8:18 PM, Mausebiber said:

I don't care if team_a or team_b has done it.  I would like to know that someone has done it.  Dozens of people can have done my ALs and I wouldn't know unless they leave a review.

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, BaytownBert said:

I own five AL's and wish I knew when people posted a review. Has this not got the attention of Groundspeak or are they too busy creating ridiculous and stupid little labyrinth games only children enjoy?

It goes deeper than that. When I look at the Statistics page for one of my ALs, it shows 63 participants, of whom 44 have completed the Adventure but only 30 have posted a review. Of the other 33 particpants, I know nothing of their experience or even when it took place. Did they enjoy it or hate it? Was it too easy or did they struggle at one or more locations? Did they give up because they couldn't find an answer? Who knows.

I can only imagine it's intentionally done this way, to keep the owner out of the picture as much as possible because, in HQ's eyes, they have no role to play once an AL goes public. Part of this might be the almighty "Privacy" thing that's eroding so much of the game, or maybe it's to fit in with their stated goal to make ALs available to non-cachers. Or maybe the purpose of Reviews, implied when they changed the name from Activity Log to Review, is to help other players decide whether they might like it, not to provide feedback to the owner.

• Helpful 1