Home changed, not by user

chuck4564

I found that my home location associated with my username had been changed without my involvement. I have some pocket queries that I routinely run that reference my home location and today they didn't return the expected results. A week ago they did. Somehow my home location was moved about 40 miles to the west. I had some recent finds in the general area of the bogus home location. It could be that I had centered the geocaching map at that location but I certainly didn't update my home to that location. Has anybody else had unintended home location changes?

16 minutes ago, chuck4564 said:

Has anybody else had unintended home location changes?

It happened to me a few years ago.  I tried to publish a cache near my home in California, but the reviewer said that it was too far from my home location.  Somehow it had been changed to a spot in Germany.  After I changed it back the cache was soon published.

2 hours ago, chuck4564 said:

I found that my home location associated with my username had been changed without my involvement. I have some pocket queries that I routinely run that reference my home location and today they didn't return the expected results. A week ago they did. Somehow my home location was moved about 40 miles to the west. I had some recent finds in the general area of the bogus home location. It could be that I had centered the geocaching map at that location but I certainly didn't update my home to that location. Has anybody else had unintended home location changes?

I change my home coordinates probably more frequently than anyone who uses the site. I have never seen what you describe happen. I would think it a little unnerving to see that my home location had been changed without my knowledge. I wonder what causes that. 

3 hours ago, terratin said:

Regular home location changer here. Never seen this either.

Have you excluded foul play? Have a unique password for gc and change it ever so often?

I haven't excluded foul play but I haven't seen any  evidence of any other altered data in my geocaching.com account. There haven't been any new logs, deleted logs, or any other data that I have reviewed. My geocaching.com password isn't a strong one and hasn't been changed in ages.

My initial thought was that some website data had been corrupted either by some Groundspeak error or a hardware issue. Since there hasn't been a large group of users commenting with a shared experience this past week, it looks like the issue is more unique to me. 

10 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Some other geocaching apps, have weird effects on Geocaching profile settings. Do you use any?

I used the official geocaching app and Cachly. The false home setting is within 3 miles of where I was caching during the past week. I was on the edge of having cell phone service during this time, sometimes I had it, sometimes I didn't. I don't think there is an option to set the home location within either of the apps.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1