What is the easiest way to search for WM's?

sernikk

Hello,

I wanted to start my journey with Waymarking, but I don't know how to do it properly. As a "new era" geocacher I've been always using my phone with android for geocaching, so I'm used to have everything online and ready whenever I want ;). However I understand that WM is a little out-of-date, so there is no app or even a proper map to display WM's like geocaches (or maybe there is?).

So I have some beginner questions to make my life easier.

1. What is the easiest way to download a gpx file of a specific area? It is not easy to search for WM's even on the website, and to do it offline I understand I will need a .gpx file. But downloading each site result from the "search form" is just ineffective. As an example, while going on the bottom of this site I can create a .gpx, but only from the 1st one, so I have to repeat this for every site.

Is there a better solution?

2. What is the best app to search? Currently I started with GPX Viewer, but I guess that may not be the best option available.

3. Logging requirements. As I see every waymark has no visit criteria or to just make a photo of the place. Can there be any other requirement to log the WM?

If anyone has any other tips I would love to hear them!

Thanks

Edited by sernikk
4 hours ago, sernikk said:

Hello,

I wanted to start my journey with Waymarking, but I don't know how to do it properly. As a "new era" geocacher I've been always using my phone with android for geocaching, so I'm used to have everything online and ready whenever I want ;). However I understand that WM is a little out-of-date, so there is no app or even a proper map to display WM's like geocaches (or maybe there is?).

So I have some beginner questions to make my life easier.

1. What is the easiest way to download a gpx file of a specific area? It is not easy to search for WM's even on the website, and to do it offline I understand I will need a .gpx file. But downloading each site result from the "search form" is just ineffective. As an example, while going on the bottom of this site I can create a .gpx, but only from the 1st one, so I have to repeat this for every site.

Is there a better solution?

2. What is the best app to search? Currently I started with GPX Viewer, but I guess that may not be the best option available.

3. Logging requirements. As I see every waymark has no visit criteria or to just make a photo of the place. Can there be any other requirement to log the WM?

If anyone has any other tips I would love to hear them!

Thanks

My two favorite ways to look for a waymark are:

1. On the geocache page clicking on nearest waymarks. You can also search for nearest geocaches on every waymark page.

2. Google search.

Every waymark on the bottom of the page tells you the visit instructions. Every category has its own requirements for posting and visiting. 99% of visit requirements are to post a photo and tell about your visit.  Please please please please when you visit a way mark do not just say: Visited. or TFTWM. or Found It. It is really nice for the owner of the waymark to get a log saying something, anything, about the item you are visiting. 

Cachly is working on a Waymarking app. I'm excited about it!

Most of us have our favorite categories. Many of us have categories we prefer to ignore. That's one of the beauties of Waymarking, you can pick and choose how to participate. I really enjoy International Space Station sightings, documenting centenarians, and finding little free libraries.

Welcome!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for the answer!

The trick with nearest waymarks seems to be very useful, but it doesn't solve the problem of having to download the .gpx file for each site of the records individualy. Is there any workaround for that or a possibility to open this waymarks all in one page for easy download?

obraz.png.65de1a4bdb815ab627674f95cbc3fd98.png

13 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Please please please please when you visit a way mark do not just say: Visited. or TFTWM. or Found It. It is really nice for the owner of the waymark to get a log saying something, anything, about the item you are visiting. 

Of course I understand how important that is being an owner of a few caches on geocaching.com :)

14 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Cachly is working on a Waymarking app. I'm excited about it!

Wow, good to hear! But I guess even if they manage to release it, it's going to be only on iOS :sad:

3 minutes ago, sernikk said:

but it doesn't solve the problem of having to download the .gpx file for each site of the records individualy. Is there any workaround for that or a possibility to open this waymarks all in one page for easy download?

I specifically didn't answer that part of your question because that's not how I waymark. Someone else will have to answer that question for you. Sorry!

Edited by Max and 99
5 hours ago, sernikk said:

but it doesn't solve the problem of having to download the .gpx file for each site of the records individualy. Is there any workaround for that or a possibility to open this waymarks all in one page for easy download?

On the overview page you showed, you can download 25 waymarks at a time in GPX Lite Files. Still it's quite a work: I once downloaded all waymarks for the Netherlands (about 13,000 at the time) and imported them in GSAK. That took over 500 downloads. But since then, it's only a matter of keeping the database up-to-date once a week or so.

Another way to search for waymarks worldwide: use the KML for Google Earth. You can find it on the right side of Waymarking.com, under Other Services.

• Helpful 1