Travel Bug Rescue

jdcfamily

Wondering if anyone in the St. Louis area would mind hunting down a TB from a recently archived cache?  It may not even be there, as it may have been muggled right before the cache was archived. Not sure.  Cache is (was) the TB Chateau at GCRDJD.   TB is TB7797W. She's travelled more than 20,000 miles from Missouri all the way to Hawaii and back, up through the east coast, only to make it within 200 miles of her goal to get back home to us before this happened.  We'd love to see her again.  She's a seahorse travelling with a froggy friend on the same chain.    We know it's a long shot, but if there's even a slim chance that she might be able to make it home, we have to try!!  

Thanks!!  

22 minutes ago, jdcfamily said:

Wondering if anyone in the St. Louis area would mind hunting down a TB from a recently archived cache?  It may not even be there, as it may have been muggled right before the cache was archived. Not sure.  Cache is (was) the TB Chateau at GCRDJD.   TB is TB7797W. She's travelled more than 20,000 miles from Missouri all the way to Hawaii and back, up through the east coast, only to make it within 200 miles of her goal to get back home to us before this happened.  We'd love to see her again.  She's a seahorse travelling with a froggy friend on the same chain.    We know it's a long shot, but if there's even a slim chance that she might be able to make it home, we have to try!!  

Thanks!!  

Well if the homeless person living in the camp at the cache site didn't already take it, and someone's willing to look, do you think there's any hope someone will find your travel bug when no one could find the cache container?

Even though it's a slim chance it sure would be awesome if you could get your TB back. But I would not be willing to go into a homeless camp to search for it. ?

Edited by Max and 99
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Well if the homeless person living in the camp at the cache site didn't already take it, and someone's willing to look, do you think there's any hope someone will find your travel bug when no one could find the cache container?

Even though it's a slim chance it sure would be awesome if you could get your TB back. But I would not be willing to go into a homeless camp to search for it. ?

Pretty sure it's not a camp there, just one guy... seen one time.  Anyway, like I said, I realize it's a long shot but I'd be negligent if I didn't at least ask. 

• Funny 1

We found this cache in May 2006.  This is not a great place in St Louis to hide a cache.  Definitely not a place anyone would want to look for a cache after dark.

I get to SLMO every other month or so.  Next time I'm there and if no one has looked for the cache/TB I'll make a stop to see if it is still there.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, lee737 said:

Gee, the reviewers there run a tight ship - disabled and archived within 2 months, without even a NM logged, and a few DNFs by newbies.... and after that it appears the cache was actually there.....

Yes, two of the three DNFs since the last find blamed thick undergrowth and the other blamed a homeless person camped nearby, none of which the CO is able to remedy, yet the cache was archived for lack of maintenance. Go figure.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Yes, two of the three DNFs since the last find blamed thick undergrowth and the other blamed a homeless person camped nearby, none of which the CO is able to remedy, yet the cache was archived for lack of maintenance. Go figure.

If someone reported a homeless person living near one of my caches, I might not be able to remedy the situation, but I’d like to think I wouldn’t just ignore it.  (And I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t either.)

22 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

If someone reported a homeless person living near one of my caches, I might not be able to remedy the situation, but I’d like to think I wouldn’t just ignore it.  (And I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t either.)

Actually there are signs of someone occasionally living rough about 20 metres from one of my caches, with a folded-up tent, cooking utensils, mud-covered socks and other bits of clothing scattered along the creek bank, but I've never seen anyone there when I've been checking on it and no finders have reported anything either, so I doubt just one DNF mentioning something like that would be enough for me to either archive the cache or find another hiding place for it (which would involve a complete rework of the multi's field puzzle). Another of my hides had a hammock strung between two trees on the cliff-top almost immediately above GZ (the cache is in a small cave on a ledge below the top) with fresh remains of a campfire but again it hasn't resulted in any reports of problems nor was I inclined to archive it..The hammock's long gone now but the cache survives. These things can happen in any bushland location, especially if there's a point of interest for the cache like a cliff-top view or a waterfall. If there were reports of such a person harassing cachers or if they were blocking access to the cache it'd be a different matter, but not if it's just a transient campsite nearby.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, ____skayfox said:

Is it possible to locate the owner of a Travel Bug through the ID# on it?  I have a TB in my possession that I removed from a cache.  Apparently, the person that removed the TB before this one, logged the wrong tag.

On the website, click on Play in the top menu bar and select Trackables.

image.png.57f8f5dd27594cea7e30d0ecae8e1a29.png

Then in the Trackable Search, enter either the tracking code or the TB identifier number and it will take you to the trackable's page which will show the owner.

image.png.5663d27cbc1ced67fe282e35e28659d2.png