TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS your help is needed

Max Cacher

The state parks of TN have requested a meeting with Joegps the liaison for parks and natural areas with the MTGC within the next two weeks to discuss the future of geocaching in TN. He has requested information for the meeting that I do not have but a lot of you do, why because you have been there to find a cache. He’s has to be able to tell them accurately how many caches are in state parks, natural areas and forest across the state.

You don’t have to be the cache owner to post it here. Not all cachers read the forums. Please post the cache name , GC# and what area its in.

Thanks for your understanding

Tennessee Geocacher

Geocaching.com Admin.

Its JoGPS not Joegps you always do that.

GC1C73 "They Might Be Giants / James K. Polk Geocache"

Bicentennial Capitol Mall

GC9281 "Capitol Relics" by Salvo

Bicentennial Capitol Mall

GCF62D "Clarksville coin depot"

Dunbar Cave Natural Area

GCC074 "Ziggy the Deerslayer"

Bledsoe Creek State Park

GC1114 "Pickwick Dam No. 1"

Pickwick Landing State Park

If someone from west Tenn. and East Tenn. would like to attend the meeting email me direct at JoGPS@aol.com………….JOE

I don't know what caches in are state parks, natural areas and forest areas across the state, but I'll help where I can. How the heck do I know what's a "natural area" in your book? If it's not the parking lot of business park and reasonably looks like something that God made and not a bulldozer, is it a "natural area"? Is there some programmatic qualification we can use to help figure this out or is JoGPS sufficiently on top of it?

I haven't found all the caches that JoeGPS^WJoGPS has found, but I've found an above average percentage of them in the middle TN area. TN Geocacher or "state parks of TN", you can always feel free to contact me about any cache I've found for additional information. I'll join you on a hunt if that helps. After, oh, the first thousand or so finds I have some feel for what's good (for the environment, for the parks, and for us) and what's not. I'll be glad to help you out.

I could comment on the specific ones that JoGPS lists, but I don't know if that's what's really being asked.

For example "Capitol Relics", unlike some of the nearby micros, can be safely 'retrieved' with no disturbance of local property, no actions worthy of attention of the downtown security patrol, and generally no puttering around. (That's definitely untrue for some in that area.) 'Relics' brings people to a place that I think you want people to come to and makes them pay attention to the focus of where I suspect you want the attention drawn and not to fondling things that might be in use otherwise. Seekers won't spend an hour tromping the same spot. They'll see what needs to be seen and move on. (Caches at the the state capitol need to be about "places" and not "hiding techniques".)

Embarrassingly, I havent't hunted out of the middle third of the state (though I've found caches in view of both oceans) so I can't help outside middle TN -where I'm probably less qualified to help than JoGPS anyway- but I'll gladly help identify the ones that I can either by memory or by meeting you there.

If it somehow helps either of you (or Joe), I can probably arrange to attend a meeting if it's in the middle third of the state.

Let me know how I can help.

i have a snug abode GCF168 and sidewinder GCF166 in the hamilton creek area of j. percy priest recreational area. on the old hickory nature trail which is part of the national trails system, i have in the pines GCBDA3, under the boardwalk GCBDA1, and pin GC6410.

I have one that I placed at Fort Loudon State Park before I was aware of any restriction on State owned land: Sunken Bridge- GCEAEE

I also know of one at Ozone Falls SNA: Global Cooling- GC438E

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)

Found a few more:

Cumberland Mountain SP:

Cumberland Cache- GC72A4

Go Big Orange II- GC1D40

Black Mountain SNA:

Black Mountain Cache- GC2524

House Mountain SNA:

Pidgeon Perch- GCEF59

The Penguin's Roost- GC591F

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

quote:
Originally posted by DavidMac:

Found a few more:

Cumberland Mountain SP:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=29348

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=7488

Black Mountain SNA:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=9508

House Mountain SNA:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=61273

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=22815

-DavidMac; _(formerly Someonenameddave)_

Black Mountain Cache is in Justin P. Wilson Cumberland Trail State Park which just became a State Park. It was on property owned by the Methodist Church when the cache was placed. I guess there's a note from the Ranger in the cache. I've tried to call him. I may just pick it up and archive it. It's been a good one but my caching spirit is dying. I could say a lot more but what the hey?

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by mikemtn:

Black Mountain Cache is in Justin P. Wilson Cumberland Trail State Park which just became a State Park. It was on property owned by the Methodist Church when the cache was placed. I guess there's a note from the Ranger in the cache. I've tried to call him. I may just pick it up and archive it. It's been a good one but my caching spirit is dying. I could say a lot more but what the hey?

Mike

Ah, thanks for correcting me; I do faintly remember something about the Methodist Church formerly owning some land with a cache on it. Guess I should have double checked my park names...

I've got 3 in state parks;

The Basement - GC4D35 - Fall Creek Falls SP

Ticks & Poison Ivy - GC5860 - Long Hunter SP

2 if by land, 3 if by sea - GCAECF - Long Hunter SP.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to assist. I am the President of the Middle TN Geocacher's Club, not that it carries any weight, But I'll be glad to lend my name and title to the cause.

A182pilot

He who angers you, controls you.

AFTER THE MEETING

First I would like to thanks everyone that logged here and helped me out with all the caches in parks and other areas.

I just got back from the meeting with TPTB with Tennessee State Parks and other areas. I felt like the meeting went well for future geocaching in TN .

While this process of setting a new policy for caching , there is currently a moratorium on placing any more new caches of any kind on state property .

Existing caches for right now are fine if they were on the list that I gave them. If not they may or may not be archived. Do not get mad at the approver or me we are doing what has been asked of us. If the approver asked more question than normal while placing a cache in TN expect it, and answer all question honestly , and completely .

I have discussed the meeting with TG and filled him on all the details that were talked about, and he will also be in contact with them.

I left the meeting with a warm and fussy feeling that everything was going to be just fine.

This is a good thing.

JoGPS

I just logged into the boards today but have been caching for about a year in east TN. I know of a lot of caches in our area that are not listed here on state property. If no one else has listed them, and it would be of benefit, I will gather the list by tomorrow.

Let me know

I spoke with them last week and still have a warm and fussy feeling that everything will be OK. The permit will be a cross between the Nashville Parks permit and the new one from AK. They are writing the permit not only for geocaching but other actives as well this is one of the reasons it will be a while before its completed. The moratorium on placing any new caches on state property or in state parks or natural areas will stay in effect until then, even virtuals……………. JOE

As far as how long it will take, no offence meant, it will be when they are sure that and the I and T are dotted and crossed.

Thanks for the update JoGPS. Glad to have you working to farther the sport in Tennessee.

quote:
Originally posted by JoGPS:

I spoke with them last week and still have a warm and fussy feeling that everything will be OK. The permit will be a cross between the Nashville Parks permit and the new one from AK. They are writing the permit not only for geocaching but other actives as well this is one of the reasons it will be a while before its completed. The moratorium on placing any new caches on state property or in state parks or natural areas will stay in effect until then, even virtuals……………. JOE

As far as how long it will take, no offence meant, it will be when they are sure that and the I and T are dotted and crossed.

---------------------------------------------------------

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

NeuroNomad & Sublonde's Page

quote:
Originally posted by JoGPS:

...The moratorium on placing any new caches on state property or in state parks or natural areas will stay in effect until then, even virtuals...

I realize I must sound like a renegade (I'm really not), but as I stated in the Arkansas Parks topic, park authorities have no authority to declare a moratorium on posting virtual caches. Jeremy, via geocaching.com, can choose to acquiesce to this usurpation of power if he chooses, but the state has no jurisdiction here.

worldtraveler

worldtraveler your not a renegade, what you are I don’t know but do you think it helps us while we are in talks with the park folks, and other agencies I don’t think so.

The people, group, or agency that controls the land have the authority for cache placement

When the talks began I asked for other geocachers across the state that wanted to help with this task to please contact me, quote ,at least one from each end of the state, funny thing but I never heard a word from you or anyone else.

What we don’t need now is someone being negative while the process is on going.

Geocaching.com is honoring a request from the state of Tennessee and from us while the talks are going on and I commend them for it and if you do not agree with it I am sorry for you

I do appreciate you effort in helping find out where all the caches are.

I know you will want the last word on this matter, just remember what you say may effect every geocacher in this great state of ours.

They are looking at the forums to …………JOE

Actually, I don't care one whit about having the last word; but if stating a relevant fact that appears to have been overlooked = "being negative", I suppose I'm guilty.

These forums are for expressing opinions; mine happens to be that it is wise to have the bounds of jurisdiction clearly defined before attempting to write policy. Land use managers have authority over placing caches, but not over posting them. A virtual cache is not placed; it is merely posted on a website and is, therefore, outside the jurisdiction of the land use managers. They should know this, but that fact seems to have escaped the attention of those responsible for writing the AR policy. Since the AR policy is reportedly being used as a pattern for TN policy, I'd hate to see the same mistake repeated in TN.

If geocaching.com unwisely acquiesces to the myth that land use managers have a right to regulate virtual caches, it lays an unnecessary additional burden on would-be virtual cache placers and increases its own exposure to sanctions or banning if any virtual cache placers fail to comply with the land use managers' policy.

I think the old adage "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is applicable here.

worldtraveler

Well, even if we leave the land managers and the parks out of this discussion for a moment and accept that geocaching.com does regulate virtual caches, there's still a problem.

Virtuals are all but banished these days *anyway*. The number of virtuals being approved on this site is miniscule. Personally, I think the pendulum swung too far, but that's the way it is. So if the land admins won't approve physicals in an area and the geocaching admins won't approve virts, that pretty well has the bases covered keeping geocaches to be listed on this site out of the area.

(And don't read any of that to think I'm happy about it, but nobody asked me...)